PDA

View Full Version : Yeh I have my chuck VICMARC VM 100

Nai84
25th August 2010, 06:22 PM
I have my new chuck but i dont know what these numbers and holes on the back are for does anyone know or ever had one of these

Cheers Nai:D

Jim Carroll
25th August 2010, 06:30 PM
They are to be used for indexing, you make up a jig for the lathe to line up with the holes.

It can be used for fluting or just marking segments on a bowl and numerous other uses.

wheelinround
25th August 2010, 06:46 PM
Indexing is handy for many uses Nai Have a look at Edwards work http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/jarrah-bowl-122159/

Or this http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/ot-practice-122693/

stuffy
25th August 2010, 07:03 PM
Nice chuck Nai, you won't regret buying the Vicmark.
:2tsup:

joe greiner
25th August 2010, 08:25 PM
In CSUSA's catalog, for VM100 and VM120, the index holes are on the rim of the back plate, but without numbers - square holes at that. Same with my Grizzly clone. I put a strip of narrow masking tape on it, and wrote the numbers in ink.

Cheers,
Joe

issatree
25th August 2010, 08:33 PM
Hi Nai,
I think you may need to wash the Chuck, in Petrol to get the grease out, dry it out & put some Graphite Powder where you can get to the moving parts.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Nai84
25th August 2010, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone

Im glad yous guy know coz it doesnt say anything bout them i the manual so thanks for that.

Wheelinround the pics are really cool i cant to learn how to do something like that

stuffy thanks you can tell me all bout it tomorrow

issatree ok so clean it out with petorl and put in some graphite powder thanks for the tip

Cheers Nai:2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
25th August 2010, 10:44 PM
Nai I have only been turning 3 years (although I did it at school many years ago) I have learned from this forum, from friends and club members, found a passion for a new adventure in woodworking woodturning and a reignition of a young lads passion for metal turning..

Its not that hard once you have been shown how, your age compared to mine you'll learn faster do more and learn more.:2tsup:

Ray

Nai84
25th August 2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Ray

3 years it looks like you have been doing it for alot longer then that coz those piece look like it was done by a pro and i love it when im out there in the shed turning coz i am in a world of my own thanks for your help on these issues

Cheers Ian:2tsup::2tsup:

John Lucas
26th August 2010, 06:35 AM
They are right, they are for indexing. I don't use them. I purchased and index wheel from www.ironfireLLC.com It has many more choices and can be used with a faceplate or even spindle drive centers. Here is an example of indexed pieces using a router to cut the grooves. One is a cupcake box with screw thread lid and the other is just a press fit lidded box.

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 09:04 AM
Hi Ray

3 years it looks like you have been doing it for alot longer then that coz those piece look like it was done by a pro and i love it when im out there in the shed turning coz i am in a world of my own thanks for your help on these issues

Cheers Ian:2tsup::2tsup:

Ian I have had some good teachers watching them people here in Sydney who have been turning 25 yrs and more plus my old school woodie teacher who was a tradie not a teacher as normal.

Many here will agree you might like to add your T-shirt slogan http://www.woodworkforums.com/f245/shed-tshirt-slogans-120835/?highlight=t-shirt :U

I am surprised Vicmarc don't have instructions on the use of the Index on the back of the chuck :roll:. Not even instruction for mounting and making and index pin locator.

John Lucas nice work :2tsup: yes I agree a larger index plate works wonders we make our or here 120, 60 generally or what ever is needed.

Jim Carroll
26th August 2010, 02:01 PM
Wheelin none of the chuck manufacurers give any advice on why the holes are in the back of the chuck , some do indicate that they are for indexing.

Only Vermec (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/indexattachment.pdf) that I know of actually make a jig that can be used for this purpose

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 02:43 PM
Wheelin none of the chuck manufacurers give any advice on why the holes are in the back of the chuck , some do indicate that they are for indexing.

Only Vermec (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/indexattachment.pdf) that I know of actually make a jig that can be used for this purpose

Smart man is Enzo :2tsup::2tsup:

Jim I have noticed not one I can see in packaged Chucks has instructions some do have on their web sites in areas usually hidden away.

Ian not knowing you lathe you may already have an Indexing feature on it Nova do as do others. Usually 24 hole.

Nai84
26th August 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Wheelinround

I have a carbatec MC1100A lathe i havent read any thing in the manual about but maybe you might know :D:D:D:D

Cheers Nai

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 03:45 PM
Hi Wheelinround

I have a carbatec MC1100A lathe i havent read any thing in the manual about but maybe you might know :D:D:D:D

Cheers Nai

No didn't know so checked the specs out and :no: no Indexing.

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 03:50 PM
Jim just saw this on Nova's site.

Comprehensive Instructions <o:p> </o:p>
All <st1:stockticker>NOVA</st1:stockticker> products come with comprehensive support and instructions to enable to you get the most out of your investment.
NOVA CHUCKS: AN OVERVIEW (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Overview.htm)

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 04:02 PM
Ian have a look at this a its whats called a Legacy Lathe (http://www.legacywoodworking.com/technique.cfm?techniqueID=1)but with indexing on a normal lathe there are ways to do much the same things.

Jim Carroll
26th August 2010, 05:23 PM
Jim just saw this on Nova's site.

NOVA CHUCKS: AN OVERVIEW (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Overview.htm)

But still no indexing fixtures so why do all these different brands go to the trouble of drilling the holes and have no accessories for them

The vermec option is great as I have used mine a few times

Sturdee
26th August 2010, 05:34 PM
I made one myself, not too hard to do.

Peter.

Big Shed
26th August 2010, 06:31 PM
I'll go one better, my indexing is built in to the headstock spindle:2tsup::D

wheelinround
26th August 2010, 06:53 PM
I'll go one better, my indexing is built in to the headstock spindle:2tsup::D

I like my Nova 3000 for it Fred haven't used it but will be soon.

Jim I am sure I said similar in another thread when rssr mentioned indexing on his chuck I asked to see to see his set up :no: didn't have one i think.

Sturdee yes simple to make a index pin set up, still yet to do one for the Jet Mini I have the plate and the tongue just need to mount it.:roll:

joe greiner
26th August 2010, 07:48 PM
Y'know, the forum still has a Search feature. Here's a simple, but effective, device for engaging the rim holes: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/index-jig-mc900-87645/

And speaking of cupcakes, I just eyeballed the index positions for scratching the flutes for a new batch of cupcake earrings. ( http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cupcake-earrings-113147/ ). Test marketing this coming Saturday.

Cheers,
Joe

Nai84
26th August 2010, 08:19 PM
Ian have a look at this a its whats called a Legacy Lathe (http://www.legacywoodworking.com/technique.cfm?techniqueID=1)but with indexing on a normal lathe there are ways to do much the same things.

Hi Wheelinround

that lathe looks very awsome but also so very high tech i think it will be a while before i do anything like that im just happy learning all that i can from you guys many thanks for the info

Cheers Nai:2tsup::U

colhu
1st September 2010, 04:01 PM
Hi Nai and others

attached is a pic of the indexing jig I made for my MC900 - it clamped down to the bed and had a pointed screw that wound up into the indexing holes around the outside of the Vicmark chuck.

it was made out of plywood - easy and effective, but a bit fiddly.

cheers,

Colin

Nai84
1st September 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi Nai and others

attached is a pic of the indexing jig I made for my MC900 - it clamped down to the bed and had a pointed screw that wound up into the indexing holes around the outside of the Vicmark chuck.

it was made out of plywood - easy and effective, but a bit fiddly.

cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin

That jig looks very simple and easy to use compared to some i have seen. Now for the stupid questions again how do i use it and what are the benifents of this

Cheers Ian:2tsup:

colhu
1st September 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Ian

The jig is really only about being able to hold the chuck still in a known position while you do whatever to the workpiece.

The Vicmark chuck has 24 numbered indexing holes equally spaced around the outside edge, and another 24 on the back face. That means each hole is 15 degrees away from each of its neighbours, so as you rotate the chuck (and the workpiece) hole by hole you are stepping around the piece in 15 degree increments.

My jig clamped onto the bed right under the chuck, and I screwed the pointer up into one of the perimeter holes (say no. 1) and locked it with the wingnut. Then you do whatever you want to do to your workpiece at that point - maybe rout a flute along the outside, or drill a hole, or carve a feature, or just make a pencil mark along the top of the tool rest to locate something. Then undo the pointer screw, turn the chuck the number of holes (ie the number of 15 degree steps) you need to suit your pattern, lock it up and make your next feature. Keep going until finished.

Other systems use a springy or spring-loaded bar attached to the headstock to engage the holes and hold the chuck in place - the result is the same. The beauty of my jig was that I made it from scraps, plus a couple of hardware bolts and T nuts and it didn't involve drilling holes in the lathe. However it was bit slower to use than a springy bar would be.

One of the things I made with it was a raised cake stand in Jacaranda, with 8 (I think) pieces of 25mm diameter cedar set into it (at 45 degree spacings). From memory I think I used the jig to accurately mark out the hole centres which I then drilled with a 25mm forstner bit on the drill press.

One of the challenges is to make sure you keep count of how many holes you turn the piece each time - one step of one hole too many will mean you finish up one hole past where you started - tends to mess up the pattern.

This post ended up longer than I thought - sorry if I have been a bit long-winded, but I hope it helps.

cheers,
Colin

PS - I gave the jig to Ozkaban (Dave) when I moved from the MC900 to a Nova 3000 - he now has a Vicmark lathe so he might be pursuaded to pass it on if he still has it.

Nai84
2nd September 2010, 12:09 AM
Hey Colin

Thanks heaps that makes me un derstand it a bit better and will do well in the future when i use it and its ok to be detailed sometime thats what people need i think i might make one and play around a little bit

Cheers Nai