PDA

View Full Version : Mezzanine Storage level

hellspice
26th August 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi all,
I have been a short time reader first time poster so please execuse ady mistakes and point them out for me :U. I would like to say that im no woodworker but really starting to enjoy it.

I have been building a shed to restore a car and would like to build a mezzanine level over one half for storage. This wont hold any realy heavy items but most likley hold the odd panel, bumper bar, swag etc to keep things out of the way while not really in use.
Im hoping the hivemind here can part with some advice.

I had a plan (plan 1) with the pink lines being the frame built out of 90x35 pine and to use 90x90 posts to hold the free standing side up. Im not sure how many posts to use, i was thinking 2 but what would be the recomended spaceing ?
Then the wife said to me, wont those posts be in your way while working on the car ? So i came up with (plan 2) which still give me storage but is a little more open plan, My question is would i need posts and if so where ?. I was hoping maybe to brace diagonally from the metal posts to up to the center of the middle section.
Hight of the mezzanine level is 2300 and i have attached some pictures for reference. Shed 1 pic i have already put up the supports against the wall. Please excuse the emptys and mess ;)

Thanks in advance

Yonnee
27th August 2010, 02:02 PM
Nice shed and Welcome to our little part of the world.

I put up a Mezzanine in my first shed, a 20' x 24', and I ran it accross the rear so a fair amount of storage was under the peak of the roof.

What about using the 900mm space along the dividing wall between it and the next posts? You could modify your shelving unit already in that spot along the wall to be load bearing, or having a post in the middle shouldn't be in the way as the shelving takes up that space. Having it accross the rear will gain you a bit more height in your mezzanine area, particularly in the middle..

A little modification to your pic...

Chris Parks
1st September 2010, 12:07 AM
I put one across my shed over the benches, drill, welders etc. It is 7.5 x 2.4 metres and holds all the never used stuff, or used to. I recently got very bloody minded over what was on it as I needed space for timber racks and all the old junk went to the tip and I have not missed any of it. I used heavy channel which I got second hand and a few posts to hold the unsupported front rail. The rear one is screwed to the shed frame which is timber. I am a bit lucky as I am fairly short and I made it just over my head height and taller people have issues but it is my shed so they have to be careful. There is only crawl height on the shelf.

Sawdust Maker
8th September 2010, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the forum

I like Yonnee's idea but I'd also consider putting it (or another) above the rollerdoor - same idea really

hellspice
10th November 2010, 10:20 PM
Thank's all for the advice on my problem,
Not too long after this post I got little creative (beers late one night on the whiteboard)and with a little advice from here and there and some long nights of my bad woodworking skills I ended up with this. Its pretty much how i wanted it due to the working side for my car resto and the shelving that i had put in. I endedn up using hanger's to get rid of the post problem and after painting it looks allright methinks. I used the posts i bought for the stongest fishtank stand in the world :) so some pics and any feed back would be apreciated. Now onto the roughing in the electricity.
Cheers,

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2010, 07:34 PM
Looks good

I'd leave the car outside
In fact our last two cars only go undercover when going to Westfields

hellspice
17th November 2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks,
After the power goes in this weekend or during next week and hopefully the aircon next weekend, ill post the finishing photos.
Like the dog, the Torana deserves its own house :wink:

artme
18th November 2010, 06:41 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the fun!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

How much weight do you intend to have on that mezzanine? I would be very wary of placing anything other than lightweight items up there.

hellspice
18th November 2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome,
Im not intending to put anything to heavy up there, It will be storage for some light car parts and some camping\fishing gear etc. More the fragile dont get in the way wont be used all that often type thing.
I have thought about adding another rod or 2 but they would have to be attached to the top hats to spread the load. Not sure if needed but i guess it wouldnt do any harm. I appreaciate anyones comments on this.
Cheers