PDA

View Full Version : seababe again

larryl
27th August 2010, 06:30 PM
hi, i've found the seababe plan from the svenson's free boat plans website, and find the lines of the older boats very attractive. i've also looked at the eager eve, which is a little bigger and uses a well for the outboard. i've tenatively decided on seababe, but now i'm having a problem right off the bat-- have you looked at the drawing for the stem? i find it quite confusing. the most sense i've been able to make out of it is that it's a downwardly tapering vertical piece that is 9.5 inches wide at the top, and 2.25 inches wide at the bottom, with a transition at some point, exactly where i'm not sure. can anyone else make sense out of this drawing? or should i give up now and go for something else? with respect to wood, i'm used to using scrap, whatever i get for free or cull at the lumber yards here, then i just mill the pieces to dimension. if i need a thicker piece, i glue pieces together until i have the dimensions required.
thanks in advance.
larry

PAR
27th August 2010, 09:59 PM
SeaBabe is a typical plank on frame, warped bottom of the 1950's. It employs the engineering of the era (which is heavy and leaky) and of course the styling. The hull form used is one that requires very little power to get up on plane, but is the classic "bluff bow" hull form. This hull form uses a very full bow to help it "get up", which it does easily, but it also pounds like a framing carpenter on methamphetamine.

The stem you see is called a "plank" stem and common of the 1930's through 1950's. It's part of the styling that was indicative during this part of the 20th century. It does what it looks like it will do, bash it's way through whatever it runs into. If it's chop, well wear a hat or something. The plans are correct, study them longer and you'll get the idea.

By modern standards this is a beast in anything other then a dead calm body of water. At 24" aft of the stem the deadrise is about 35 degrees which is half of what is seen today. This is the bluff bow concept I mentioned. If you have good dental fillings then this boat is the one for you. On the plus side, this boat will turn much better then a lot of modern boats. Her arc bottom permits a sweet turning boat, though it will lean a good bit during the event.

As a rule, the very last place you want to save money is on the cost of a set of plans and lastly; if you have a question, this is a classic Bill Jackson design from the late 30's, early 40's, he's long been dead and unavailable for comment or guidance. This isn't true of a modern designer, whom can be called and cussed at, about the unreadable stem assembly, for example. Well, at least that's what they do with me.

larryl
28th August 2010, 02:47 AM
are there any more modern and better documented plans for a similar looking boat, one which wouldn't pound one's kidneys cruising through the water, but still with a hull with get up and go? what about the skagit style models, made only for a couple of years in the late 1950's/early 1960's?
out of curiosity, has anyone built or heard of anyone building any of the boats from plans found on svenson's site? there's one guy who was building seababe in a garage in london, but i don't know if he ever finished it, and the photos ended with the beginning of the planking.
thanks for any information.
larry

PAR
28th August 2010, 04:29 AM
Larry, yes, hundreds of boats have been built to those types of plans. I grew up drooling over magazines with DIY plans just like this in them. I even built a few as a kid, but they've long since been superseded by much better designs.

From a design point of view, there's nothing notable about SeaBabe and much to suggest she's less then average in regard to modern designs. She'll weigh about twice as much as a modern design of similar shape and capacity and this is material you have to pay for, as well as install in her. As far a her build goes, the same is true, there's a lot more parts associated with this type of build then a more modern method. The only thing this boat has going for it is style, which can be transplanted to any boat of similar dimensions.

Yes, there are hundreds of plans for powerboats in this size range. Every designer and plans house (like Glen-L, Clark Craft, etc.) all sell plans for boats like this.
https://www.boatdesigns.com/Outboards/departments/10/
A small selection and most are not the latest build techniques, but a good sampling none the less.

mob
30th August 2010, 10:08 AM
..... but it also pounds like a framing carpenter on methamphetamine.
Gold!

Boatmik
31st August 2010, 09:26 AM
It is gold.

One of the people doing current work on wooden powerboats is our own Mark Bowdidge who appears here occasionally.
Bowdidge Marine Designs Boat Plans (http://www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com)

His boat might be too modern for what you want. The names PAR suggested are better if you want a classic boat. You would probably have to add Hartley to keep our region in the picture.

Don't fall for the problems inherent in almost all free plans. They usually are poorly documented and if you have problems there might be no-one to ask.

Just like the stem question you have. It is nice to have a living designer who has an interest in helping you get the boat built. I used to work with a plan agent before I started designing (I don't have anything suitable for you) and we used to get phonecalls ...

"Hi, I downloaded a plan from the internet a few months ago and have framed and planked up the boat. But I am having huge problems getting the ply at the bow to fit. What do I do"

Us "Talk to the designer or his agent - we don't know the boat and the designer is the best person"

"He died in 1975"

Us "Oh".

So from an overcoming an uncertainty aspect and also for up to date construction which is cheaper, simpler and often better documented, most free plans are worth exactly what you pay for them.

A good well supported plan will save you way more money than the plan cost.

Best wishes
Michael Storer

PAR
31st August 2010, 11:52 AM
I also have a few designs that would fit your needs Larry. I have moderate and deep V hulls, warped bottom and constant deadrise hull forms as well as round bilge. Most building techniques apply as well, such as plank over frame, taped seam, lapstrake, strip plank, glued lapstrake, double plank and molded methods. I have to admit I don't have a bluff bow, art deco design (like SeaBabe), but this styling could be retro fitted to a modern hull form.

Seababe
30th January 2013, 09:31 AM
are there any more modern and better documented plans for a similar looking boat, one which wouldn't pound one's kidneys cruising through the water, but still with a hull with get up and go? what about the skagit style models, made only for a couple of years in the late 1950's/early 1960's?
out of curiosity, has anyone built or heard of anyone building any of the boats from plans found on svenson's site? there's one guy who was building seababe in a garage in london, but i don't know if he ever finished it, and the photos ended with the beginning of the planking.
thanks for any information.
larry

Sorry i've not updated the photos in years but yes it is now ready for the water. Happy to help with any questions on construction.