PDA

View Full Version : lifting t&g flooring

weekendwarrior
16th October 2004, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know if there are any special tools out there for lifting t&g flooring WITHOUT damaging it? I need to lift some boards from one part of the house and place in another part where walls have been taken out.

seriph1
17th October 2004, 09:37 AM
There are several tools that can be rented that won't do too much damage if used with care - they are called floor lifters.

Preparation and care is key.

Can you describe your project a little more - it sounds like you have opened rooms up and wish to "blend" the two areas together ..... are you removing flooring entirely from the rooms and re-laying them over the joins or are you wishing to place a "strip" along where the sole plate is now?

What type of boards (Material, width, finish) are they? Have you tried to get replacement boards of a similar vintage?

Happy to receive a call to help clarify things if you need to - I am in Kilmore 0414 393878

ps. Dont wet the boards at all! no matter what anyone tells you, it buggers 'em.

weekendwarrior
17th October 2004, 10:40 PM
hey seriph1, the project involves removing 140 x 19 radiata pine floorboards from 2 bedrooms that i am going to carpet, so jellow tongue will be put down, and using these boards to fill in patches in the now living area, which use to be a bedroom, dining area and linen cupboard. I would like to "blend" the flooring in and not just put a strip at 90 degrees to the rest of the floor. The floor sanding guy i had out to quote the finishing suggested pulling the bedroom boards up as new ones would stick out like dogs you know what because the existing floors are 20+ years old. Re getting similiar boards, thought ripping up bedrooms may be easier. Whats this about wetting the boards? Haven't heard that before....

scooter
18th October 2004, 12:18 AM
I think I have heard of making up a tool that straddles the joist and levers up on the floorboard either side of the joist, hopefully not damaging board as pressure is exerted up on both sides.

HTH........cheers.....Sean

glock40sw
18th October 2004, 03:37 PM
G'day All.

Is the floor secret nailed or top nailed?
If it is top nailed, it would only need a few accro props of the correct length to lift the floor in sections.
If secret nailed, Use a chain saw and burn the flooring on the open fire :D

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton