PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Item - Any ideas?

Zsteve
28th August 2010, 06:04 PM
I have a mystery item for you - I have no idea what it is - see pic. Width of the metal fingers vary and the only wear seems to be on the tips of the fingers at an angle.

the brushes are marked ''Hamilton & Co'' with 'trade mark' outside and ''Semper IDEM'' in a circle.

Have found a few references to Hamilton and co brush makers but not much luck otherwise. So open to suggestion as to what its all for. My guess may be that its textiles related.

Woodwould
28th August 2010, 07:46 PM
They are combs and brushes for scumbling.

pugwash
28th August 2010, 08:06 PM
The metal combs are for reproducing woodgrain in a painted finish. The brushes are used to soften the effect.

issatree
28th August 2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Zsteve,
Yes, what they said. I counted 14 + 2 Brushes.
I also have a set of these, but I don't recall 14 in my set & don't have the Brushes.
Many years past, we had a Chap show us what he did with them, & he was very good at it.
He did this for a living, so there must have been a lot of work around in those days
This was mainly around Geelong, Vic.
Regards,
issatree.

Zsteve
28th August 2010, 10:44 PM
Wow - hows that, I was a bit skeptical of the suggestions but it looks like you guys are on the money, fantastic :2tsup:.

After reading what you said I found this Wood Graining Faux Finish Tools ~ O-Gee Paint Co. (http://www.o-geepaint.com/Faux/graining.shtml)which basically pictures the combs and the 5 headed brush.

Believe it or not I got these at the local recycling centre for next to nothing, amazing what you can find at these places sometimes.

Issatree - any tips for their use?

Thanks all.

Steve

foss5
21st September 2010, 06:29 PM
I must be lucky, a couple of years ago I picked up a set of three very old painting books at a garage sale for $1.00 each and they have a full section on how to do graining but without the right tools I cant have a go at it. They do come on ebay at times but they usualy sell for more than I can afford.

Andy Mac
21st September 2010, 08:42 PM
I've only seen a rubber version, like a half moon block with a relief pattern on the face. It was used to do faux wood grain on theatre sets, by dragging it and rocking at varied speeds to lay the pattern. I wouldn't have picked these items, thought more along the lines of wool/fleece combing, or something textile based!:?

Cheers

Manuka Jock
21st September 2010, 08:47 PM
They could be used for grooming brushes as well as combing fleeces and making wood grain with paint .
Probably other uses too

Rifleman1776
22nd September 2010, 12:13 AM
They are combs and brushes for scumbling.

OK, great. Now, if I only knew what "scumbling" meant. :?
Could you please translate that to Yankee? :rolleyes:

Woodwould
22nd September 2010, 08:02 AM
OK, great. Now, if I only knew what "scumbling" meant. :?
Could you please translate that to Yankee? :rolleyes:

Scumble is the oil and pigment glaze that's used for 'graining' or 'grain combing' as some call it, hence 'scumbling'.

Woodwould
22nd September 2010, 08:06 AM
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=graining+comb)

Zsteve
22nd September 2010, 08:05 PM
HI Foss - so what books did you find - what are the titles?

foss5
23rd September 2010, 11:31 AM
G'day Zsteve, The books are The Modern Painter And Decorator Vols I,II and III. The editions I have are The 5th editions from 1961 but they were first published in 1921. The info is getting a bit old now but still interesting.:2tsup:

bluegum30
23rd September 2010, 08:34 PM
I'll bet they got used for grooming bush's in their day too .:D

jimbur
24th September 2010, 08:48 AM
G'day Zsteve, The books are The Modern Painter And Decorator Vols I,II and III. The editions I have are The 5th editions from 1961 but they were first published in 1921. The info is getting a bit old now but still interesting.:2tsup:

Mine have disappeared. I was wanting to look something up the other day and couldn't find them.
There is a bit early on about how to rust-proof painters buckets with linseed oil that I wanted to check.
Fascinating books.
Cheers,
Jim