PDA

View Full Version : A piece to think...

Michael Spain
29th August 2010, 09:11 AM
Hello friends, this is a piece that will make think many people, the wooden cube is only one piece and the bulb does not have way of going out, I did her a few months ago and it was not easy at all to be able to do it like.

The problem is that the wood cannot be wetted because, on having swelled up, the holes close, it is not also possible to force the bulb, since it breaks, as a magician, I cannot also say as I did it, to thinking...:doh:

Tu.tv - Videos de Entretenimiento - Video: A Light Bulb in a Massive Wood Cube by Miguel (http://tu.tv/videos/a-light-bulb-in-a-massive-wood-cube-by-m)

Mulgabill
29th August 2010, 09:27 AM
:?

Ed Reiss
29th August 2010, 12:17 PM
:?:?

tea lady
29th August 2010, 01:05 PM
Very tricky. :2tsup:

Claw Hama
29th August 2010, 02:14 PM
Good party starter Miguel but you can do better than that.:D

nalmo
29th August 2010, 08:36 PM
Maybe it was cut & drilled to the exact size while the timber was still green, then bulb inserted and on drying, the bulb became captive. Would love to measure the holes to see if they are slightly oval (different radial & tangential shrinkage).

Michael Spain
29th August 2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe it was cut & drilled to the exact size while the timber was still green, then bulb inserted and on drying, the bulb became captive. Would love to measure the holes to see if they are slightly oval (different radial & tangential shrinkage).

The idea is good, but do not use this method, to thinking again...:no:

nalmo
29th August 2010, 11:02 PM
Ok, another try. Freezing the bulb to make it shrink just enough to fit through the drilled hole.

corbs
29th August 2010, 11:33 PM
Blow the bulb inside the cube:rolleyes:... I'm thinking its another variation on the boiling wood trick. There has been a bit of discussion with it on here in the past.

HazzaB
30th August 2010, 12:38 AM
Hey there

I reckon that the Old Soak and Squeeze method would be used here:? it's amazing how far Pine will distort once it's been boiled for a few minutes.

HazzaB

Nai84
30th August 2010, 12:49 AM
:o What the ? that is amazing i think its cool:2tsup:

Nai

Michael Spain
30th August 2010, 02:03 AM
Hey there

I reckon that the Old Soak and Squeeze method would be used here:? it's amazing how far Pine will distort once it's been boiled for a few minutes.

HazzaB

It is possible, but the problem is that the cube has the thin walls and breaks with few pressure, I broke the first ones on having tried it. Too some bulb lamp..:doh:

Mobil Man
30th August 2010, 03:16 AM
Very nice--And tricky. But thanks to 'inside-out' turning it is possible

Michael Spain
30th August 2010, 03:53 AM
Very nice--And tricky. But thanks to 'inside-out' turning it is possible

I it sorry, but this skill cannot be used in this piece, since the cube is only one piece..:C

artme
30th August 2010, 08:21 AM
No bright ideas here at this ime of the morning!

mic-d
30th August 2010, 08:49 AM
You made it crispy dry in the oven, where the holes were just big enough to fit the bulb, then brought the wood back to equilibrium moisture content, where the holes will be a bit smaller?

Cheers
Michael

Claw Hama
30th August 2010, 09:25 AM
First you remove the edison screw from the globe. Then you make the cube so that the bulb will just slip through one of the side holes and just turn to go into its final home. Then you glue the edison screw back on. So now the bulb is its full lenght it won't turn to come back out. Similar system to the one Japanese use to make cars.

mic-d
30th August 2010, 09:35 AM
First you remove the edison screw from the globe. Then you make the cube so that the bulb will just slip through one of the side holes and just turn to go into its final home. Then you glue the edison screw back on. So now the bulb is its full lenght it won't turn to come back out. Similar system to the one Japanese use to make cars.

smart a#$e!:wink::wink::D

Michael Spain
30th August 2010, 08:58 PM

In Japan perhaps this system works, in Spain not, the wood of pine is very sensitive to the heat and crancked with a lot of facility when it comes out his natural moisture and the bulb lamp did not freeze either the thread nor was dismantled.:no::;

brendan stemp
30th August 2010, 11:52 PM
You say it is one solid piece of timber, but the question I would like you to answer is was it always one solid piece of timber? Perhaps at one point it was two pieces of timber. Timber split down its grain can be glued back together without any evidence of the split, especially if the gluing is done carefully and use of the right timber.

Michael Spain
31st August 2010, 04:46 AM
You say it is one solid piece of timber, but the question I would like you to answer is was it always one solid piece of timber? Perhaps at one point it was two pieces of timber. Timber split down its grain can be glued back together without any evidence of the split, especially if the gluing is done carefully and use of the right timber.

Hello Brendan, excuses that he insists, but it is a solid block to which I did in my lathe 6 holes, it does not exist any glued part:no:, congratulations for your web, you have real works of art.:2tsup:

Toymaker Len
31st August 2010, 09:12 AM
I reckon Brendan has got it.

Claw Hama
31st August 2010, 09:27 AM
Time to spill the beans Miguel

Allan at Wallan
31st August 2010, 10:59 AM
Check the globe ... I think it is inflatable.:?

Allan

mic-d
31st August 2010, 05:26 PM
Thought you had it Claw :think:
How about, you turn one hole just a little undersize, then if you fitted the cube into a square hole for support, you could hammer that hole open the little it needs, ie compress the pine a bit, insert the bulb and then wet the hole so the wood swells up again?

Cheers
Michael

Claw Hama
31st August 2010, 05:58 PM
I think that could work too Mic, you don't need much.

Michael Spain
1st September 2010, 06:15 AM
Thought you had it Claw :think:
How about, you turn one hole just a little undersize, then if you fitted the cube into a square hole for support, you could hammer that hole open the little it needs, ie compress the pine a bit, insert the bulb and then wet the hole so the wood swells up again?

Cheers
Michael

Hi mic-d, when I saw this piece for the first time, just as you, I did to myself many, many questions:?, only I found the response when I managed to do it:o, try it and good luck (I hope that you should break less bulbs that:bawl:) I'm sorry if my English is not very good:B, one gives me better to put bulbs in to block.:wave: