PDA

View Full Version : Idiot of the day thread

Jekyll and Hyde
31st August 2010, 09:46 PM
This was an idea of Stustoys from another thread, and since I contributed to the file today, I thought I might as well officially start it off!

So I decided to stuff around and make a small test part for a car door handle today, just for the sake of playing with the mill :D

Made a few cuts, shut the spindle off and thought about how much I needed to move, and where to, then noticed that the end mill was now about 2mm above the work, instead of being level with the bottom of the cut. Odd, says I, it must have slid up in the collet. Proceeded to tighten it a little more, although it was pretty tight already, touched off, and made a few more cuts. Stopped again, thinking - what the hell? The endmill is in thin air again? The knee must be sliding down or something? I'm certainly using a precision machine very imprecisely... Set the height again, lock off the lock on the front of the knee, make some more cuts, stop the spindle for some more figuring out... What, again? Reset height, lock the front, lock the locks on the side of the knee, another cut - same story.

Decided I'd had enough for the day anyway, and while packing a few bits and pieces away, tried to figure what the hell I was doing wrong (or what was wrong with the machine). While taking the endmill out, I thought I wonder if the spindle has vertical float in it. So I give it a shove upwards, and it moved up about 20mm! About then, a thought struck me (along with the handle for the quill downfeed). Maybe a certain idiot should lock the quill in position when using the knee to feed :B

Graziano
31st August 2010, 10:48 PM
Well, you're uninjured and the machine isn't crashed so I'd rack that one up as a learning experience .

pipeclay
1st September 2010, 12:04 AM
Have you considered locking the Quill all the time when you are not useing it.

Jekyll and Hyde
1st September 2010, 12:12 AM
Have you considered locking the Quill all the time when you are not useing it.

I certainly have after todays effort! Incidentally, how tightly should the lock actually lock? It has this tiny little handle on it, and I feel like I'm almost breaking it off to get the thing to lock well enough that I can't still feed the quill with a little effort....

Well, you're uninjured and the machine isn't crashed so I'd rack that one up as a learning experience .

Those were almost exactly my thoughts. "It could have been a lot worse, but it wasn't, now don't do it again!"

pipeclay
1st September 2010, 12:31 AM
To be honest I cant tell you how tight to lock the Quill,been a while since Ive opperated a B/P mill.
Would either suggest you do a test and see how it goes or just have the Quill in the fully retracted position then just nip the lock up,this would be my preffered option.

Stustoys
1st September 2010, 01:02 AM
It only has a little handle for a reason(would be my guess) :)
I'll check mine tomorrow, but yours might just need a clean.

As for stupid things done today, I set up my index head to machine my nuts and set it in such a way as the swarf comes towards the operator, not my cleverest moment.

So whats the best thing to wear on a mill or lathe? cotton dust coat? I'm sick of picking off bits of swarf that have melted into my top .

Stuart

p.s. and I agree with pipecaly. quill up unless I am drilling

eskimo
1st September 2010, 08:57 AM
when i saw the heading I said to myself...wonder if he's talking bout me?

Nah! i said he doesnt know where I live.....never been here to see me being an idiot...so whats he on about.....

hahahahaha
(I know how you feel)...hahahaha

Mr Brush
1st September 2010, 02:22 PM
I think this guy has the right idea for people like us....

The Red Badge of Stoopid Pearls Before Swine (http://stephanpastis.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/the-red-badge-of-stoopid/)

:D

Gerbilsquasher
1st September 2010, 10:49 PM
I used have a bad habit of leaving the chuck key in when I started turning on the lathe.... not any more:D

There is no harder lessons learnt from those of your own stupidity:rolleyes:

Luckily, there was no injury to either person or machine. However, flesh usually heals quicker, and broken tools are a more lasting reminder of your stupidity!

Dave J
1st September 2010, 11:11 PM
This was an idea of Stustoys from another thread, and since I contributed to the file today, I thought I might as well officially start it off!

So I decided to stuff around and make a small test part for a car door handle today, just for the sake of playing with the mill :D

Made a few cuts, shut the spindle off and thought about how much I needed to move, and where to, then noticed that the end mill was now about 2mm above the work, instead of being level with the bottom of the cut. Odd, says I, it must have slid up in the collet. Proceeded to tighten it a little more, although it was pretty tight already, touched off, and made a few more cuts. Stopped again, thinking - what the hell? The endmill is in thin air again? The knee must be sliding down or something? I'm certainly using a precision machine very imprecisely... Set the height again, lock off the lock on the front of the knee, make some more cuts, stop the spindle for some more figuring out... What, again? Reset height, lock the front, lock the locks on the side of the knee, another cut - same story.

Decided I'd had enough for the day anyway, and while packing a few bits and pieces away, tried to figure what the hell I was doing wrong (or what was wrong with the machine). While taking the endmill out, I thought I wonder if the spindle has vertical float in it. So I give it a shove upwards, and it moved up about 20mm! About then, a thought struck me (along with the handle for the quill downfeed). Maybe a certain idiot should lock the quill in position when using the knee to feed :B

I have been there done that and not so long ago,lol. It's not hard to forget to tighten the quill up fully tight when in a hurry, you soon wake up to whats happening after a few times. At least it's not the other way and digging into the job.

Dave

rusty steel
3rd September 2010, 09:45 PM
Hello J&H,
You asked how tightly the quill lever should be tightened. On my mill the quill lock consists of two cast iron "slugs" with the faces machined off at an angle, which are drawn together to contact the quill when the lever is operated. In my case the problem was that the quill lock would not release when the lever was backed off. I was concerned that the "slugs would score the quill surface so I turned the ends of the "slugs" down and pressed brass pieces on to them and then faced them off at the appropriate angle as before. I didn't know how successful they would be , but the quill lock now releases instantly and requires very little pressure to lock the quill .solid. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Russell