PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Delta saw !

scooter
18th October 2004, 12:37 AM
Gday all, went to the WW show on Friday, & got my new saw, a Delta 40-540. Decided on this after a bit of anecdotal evidence around giving it the tip at the under $500 price point, a few PMs to Dean after reading his review (www.onlinetoolreviews.com - hope I got that right), and a chat to Neil Schultz at the show who was demoing Hegners on the Mik stand (was very helpful & generous with his time - thanks Neil).

Goes for $299 at Carbatec, they had it priced for $270 at the show. Spoke to one of their sales guys, can't do any better than that, sorry mate....

BUT

When I went back to them later & haggled a bit with another guy, & said it'd been $250 at the Sydney show (THANKS BRETT (oges) !!) & I would take one if they'd do it at that price. The guy hummmed and haaahhhed then said OK. You beauty !! :p

Put it together tonight (worked over the weekend :rolleyes: ), seems quite solid & went together OK. Looking forward to using it in anger tomorrow.

Cheers..........Sean the happy scroller...

fxst
18th October 2004, 02:32 PM
onya mate now you will find work getting in the way of scrolling :D
Pete

Iain
19th October 2004, 08:29 AM
Keep the table polished, easier to use and prevents rust.

oges
19th October 2004, 04:33 PM
Congrats on getting the new saw, seeing as you were able to type this message it would seem you got it passed SWMBO ok :D

The $250 was a guess, I knew it was around $250 or $260 at the Sydney show, could not remember exactly but glad they reduced it for you.

Neil is a very knowledgable and friendly person to talk to about scrolling, he is the president of the australian scroll saw network aswell.

Now get out and make some dust.

scooter
20th October 2004, 01:31 AM
Yep, got it past the bride OK. Mental note to make her something to square up...used the up-front-&-honest approach, SMSed her "no go" when price was $270 then "all go" when I got the price I was after so she at least felt part of the process :D

Have stuck a bit of ceramalite on the table as a flat & slick surface; and rigged up the vac & cyclone to the saw to collect above & below the table - got to like not coming in with gritty eyes & blowing toxic waste out of the schnozzer when I rigged up extraction to the old GMC so had to do the same again for the Delta.

What else ? Need to rig up a light source, I tried one of those articulated arm light/magnifier thingies a while ago but couldn't get the hang of it & took it back. Will prob. get a halogen light & attach to top of stand... that is, when I finish the stand :o Dressed a heap of redgum about 5 weeks ago, cut to size, chamfered corners, bought hardware, etc - just have to get the bloody thing put together.

I have a couple of name plaques outstanding, did one yesterday, LOVE the quick blade release - too easy. Like the variable speed, set it slower than the GMC cuts for more control & as I hadn't scrolled for about a month the skills were a bit rusty. Still reach for the on/off switch on the front where the GMC's is.

All in all, very happy...cheers guys, thanks for the interest.....Sean

fxst
20th October 2004, 08:53 PM
all u need now is a foot switch and remembering where the switch is is history just lift ur foot :D
Pete

Sturdee
20th October 2004, 10:41 PM
all u need now is a foot switch and remembering where the switch is is history just lift ur foot :D

I have made a footswitch for use with some of my tools and am testing it first before posting details. At this stage I am happy with it and will post details soon.

Peter.

scooter
21st October 2004, 12:43 AM
Hadn't thought of it Pete & Peter but could be a good thing, will see what you come up with Peter.

Cheers............Sean

morry
25th October 2004, 09:11 PM
For those that have purchased to delta 40-540 saw Ignore the manual about lubricating the main pivot bearings after 20 hrs use. My saw had about 5 hrs on it and I pulled the pivot bearings out as a matter of interest and found them to be so starved of lubricant that they only just came out. Once I removed the conjealed grase on the bearings I lubricated as the manual suggested and put it all back together again. The saw now runs 100% smoother than it did before. It used to resonate a 2 points in its rev range but now moves from the lowest to highest speed without any vibration at all. My Dad will be bying a saw in the next week or so and I think the clean and lube will take place before a single cut is made. Its a shame that the plastic cover actually threads into the bearing as I would have drilled the bearing through the centre on the lathe and fitted small oil cups so that unbolting the pivot bearing to lubricate was not required. Give it a go and let us all know how you got on.

scooter
26th October 2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Morrie. I was reading the archives of a US scrollsaw forum last night & found a post where a Delta P20 buyer had dry bearings on his new saw as well.

Made a mental note to lube my saw before going any further, but thanks for the reminder.

Any other pearls of wisdom you've found with the saw?

Cheers.......Sean the lubricator :eek:

scooter
2nd November 2004, 10:10 PM
Morry, pulled my saw apart last weekend and the bearings were dry also, lubed 'em up & put it back together but cheesed off at the poor QC.

Just a note for anyone else with this saw, take care not to undo the Quickclamp knurled knob too far, there are some fiddly little bits that are a bugger to coordinate to put back together.....DAMHIKT....

Cheers.........Sean

oges
3rd November 2004, 03:14 PM
bugger!

scooter
4th November 2004, 11:35 AM
Another minor glitch, had to file a bit of the casting around the rear table boss (under the table) so the table would sit on the stop properly.

Little thing, but worth mentioning for the record.

Finished the stand too !

Will post pics eventually when/if we get a digital camera doodad.

Cheers........Sean

morry
5th November 2004, 08:09 PM
Scooter
Would love to see a pic of the stand when you get your camera sorted. Hows the saw on the stand for vibration. I have mine bolted down to the bench and have very little vibration at all but would love to rig up a portable stand . I could even get some sawing done at work on night shift during quiet times (hope the boss doesn't read these postings).

fxst
5th November 2004, 09:52 PM
Morry I use the triton multi stand nowdays and as long as ur ss is smooth running (not a blue one :p ) it will work well. I just made a baseplate and clamped it in . The best part is u can sit or stand with it and angle it to suit.
Folds up good and light to carry :D
Pete

scooter
6th November 2004, 10:42 PM
Full of good ideas as usual Pete !

I originally made a small top, attached the old GMC saw, and put it in the triton superjaws for a temp stand, but it wasn't really suitable and I ended up using the B&D workmate.

I have a multistand but it didn't occur to me to try it :o

As you say, it would be ideal, adj height & tilt, & portable.

NOW you tell me ! :rolleyes:

Ah well, at least the multistand is free for other uses.

Cheers...........Sean