PDA

View Full Version : White Gum

Rippa
18th October 2004, 01:44 AM
Hi All,
I have been offered some white gum logs (sight unseen) is it any good for turning. Can not find any reference to White Gum so would this be a local name. Have searched the forum plenty of references to Gum but nothing specific to White Gum. Hope some one can shed a little light on this for me.
Brian

smidsy
18th October 2004, 02:17 AM
Hei Brian,
I did a google search and came up with several whitegums - all appear to be a variety of Eucalyptus which (also according to google) is a hardwood.
There's nothing about whitegum on the hazardous timber list so I think the best option would be suck it and see.
Cheers
Paul

westpest
18th October 2004, 04:38 AM
Brian

White Gum AKA Wandoo Very hard indeed.I have some that was used as well liners and is about 90 years old. Dosen't rot and is impervious to white ants. When turned has a honey colour. I turned a couple of pens for the lady that gave me the wood but was very brittle when turned down this small, but this may be because of the age. The dust is as for most Eucs' is annoying at best.

DanF

Baz
18th October 2004, 08:51 PM
White Gum, Eucalyptus alba, grows up the top end of WA, NT and QLD, heartwood light reddish brown, moderately hard, heavy, strong and durable, density about 1040kg per cube.Hope that helps, saw an article on Landline a few years ago, someone in QLD was experimenting with plantation White Gum for furniture, looked OK to me. Look up the ABC site and the archives in Landline.
Cheers
Barry

ozwinner
18th October 2004, 08:56 PM
Gday Baz

Did you go to Tass?
If so, how did you go timber wise??

Al :)

E. maculata
18th October 2004, 09:15 PM
G'day Fella's,
Barry we also have plantations of White Gum, a genetic manipulation of our semi-local E Dunnii(? from memory) planted by API in the 60s-70s and later transfered to the crown, and is currently being quietly sold to industry at a reduced rate as it has "issues"

Baz
18th October 2004, 09:46 PM
Hi Al, no not yet, going in February, planning on buying at your contact, not sure yet as to what. Also planning on checking out every place that sells timber and hopefully holding out until Launceston.Are you happy with the timber you bought earlier this year?
Cheers
Barry

Baz
18th October 2004, 09:52 PM
Hi Bruce, I assume these "issues" mean that the timber is not that flash. By the way does SARATON mean anything to you? Just seen Trevors post, I think he would know SARATON.
Cheers
Barry

glock40sw
18th October 2004, 09:53 PM
G'day Fella's,
Barry we also have plantations of White Gum, a genetic manipulation of our semi-local E Dunnii(? from memory) planted by API in the 60s-70s and later transfered to the crown, and is currently being quietly sold to industry at a reduced rate as it has "issues"AKA...Shitgum.
Bloody shrinks like buggary. Collapes very badly during drying.
Very nice white colour.
Must be cut 10mm oversize in width and 5mm in thickness for drying.

Very mild drying schedule will improve the recovery.
Reconditioning at FSP & at 8%MC will add to dry recovery.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

glock40sw
18th October 2004, 09:56 PM
Hi Bruce, I assume these "issues" mean that the timber is not that flash. By the way does SARATON mean anything to you?
Cheers
Barry
G'day Barry.
Spell SARATON backwards.
That is who I work for in Grafton
There is a SARATON theatre in Grafton owned by my employers.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Baz
18th October 2004, 10:00 PM
Hi Trevor, yes I thought that was who you worked for, my wife used to work for their relatives here, we also have a SARATON building.
Cheers
Barry

E. maculata
18th October 2004, 10:01 PM
Oya Trev, on the ball again, keep it up and I might learn something :p
Barry as Trev stated it can be alright if seasoned carefully, one false move though and......viola boomerang. The Saraton is Local landmark named after very community oriented family, although I AM positive Trevor could tell a lot more than I can about it :D

E. maculata
18th October 2004, 10:02 PM
Crikey am I slow or what !!!

glock40sw
18th October 2004, 10:05 PM
Crikey am I slow or what !!!
Ya snooze....Ya loose....:D

Baz
18th October 2004, 10:08 PM
Bruce & Trev, apparently there was a competion to name the theatre and SARATON won.
Cheers
Barry

Rippa
19th October 2004, 12:56 AM
Hi All thanks for the replies,
Will let you know on the colour when I get my hands on it next month. It grows in the south of W.A. so it is not the northern variety. May be your on the right track Dan I will follow up on the Wandoo. You know what farmers are like if it has white bark it's got to be white gum. Thanks for the Google search Paul you got further than me. How come we got to Tassie when we are talking about Western Australian Timber. Know where there is a shed full of Tassie Oak on that island. :D

Cheers Brian

ozwinner
19th October 2004, 08:23 AM
Hi Al, no not yet, going in February, planning on buying at your contact, not sure yet as to what. Also planning on checking out every place that sells timber and hopefully holding out until Launceston.Are you happy with the timber you bought earlier this year?
Cheers
Barry
Hi Baz
Yes very happy, just wish I could find the time to use it. :(

Al :)