PDA

View Full Version : delaminating

Rum Pig
2nd September 2010, 02:09 PM
I bought some resin blanks and when I turned them they seem to have de laminated at the ends. I have a feeling they were like that before I turned them but that does not matter now what does is there anything I can do to rectify it.
I was thinking about zapping them in the microwave.

Any suggestion welcomed.

gawdelpus
2nd September 2010, 03:27 PM
Bugger !!! My bet is you used CA to glue the tubes and that has caused the problem with the gas coming off the ca while going off :? Someone more experienced in this stuff may have a solution or a better Idea of what has happened :C John

Rum Pig
2nd September 2010, 03:34 PM
They came with the tubes already in them.
3 out 4 turned out like this and every time I changed my technique slightly except after the second as that was the good one but #3 turned the same de laminated.
I could not see if it was like this before I turned but certainly after making them round and a quick polish so I could see through the acrylic it was there:~

HazzaB
2nd September 2010, 05:19 PM
Hey Rumpig,

We had that same problem when Dave and I started doing them, it was the actual labbel coming apart, once Dave got onto the Water Slide Decals, there hasen't been a problem. (well not one like that anyway)

HazzaB

Rum Pig
2nd September 2010, 09:38 PM
So is there something I can do to rescue the pen?
Should I go to the supplier and complain?

Big Shed
2nd September 2010, 10:11 PM
I think contacting the supplier and ask for his advice would be the wisest thing to do at this stage, rather than trying to fix this yourself at this stage.

I would expect that if you have 3 out of 4 doing this he may have come across others.

gawdelpus
2nd September 2010, 10:21 PM
you might try pouring a few drops of thin CA and see if it will take up the gap ,then complain to the supplier :)

dai sensei
2nd September 2010, 11:18 PM
My guess is that it happened whilst assembling, from something in the tube, or burred ends.

You can try and fix it with thin CA, but use capillary action, dont try pouring it in. Hold the CA tip horizontally and form a drip on the end, then place the blank vertically against it (above), the CA will be drawn up into the "gap".

Fireman sam
5th September 2010, 08:54 PM
I Turn one of them today and i noticed the same thing in the blank as i was turning it :rolleyes: It was at the same end of the blank The same as the photoes
Thanks Andrew:fireman:

Rum Pig
6th September 2010, 11:09 PM
It was defiantly done during turning not assembly.
I tried thin ca but no good.
I will contact the supplier tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Thanks for all your input and I post his response.

Rum Pig
7th September 2010, 03:03 PM
I emailed the supplier and he has offered to replace then for me even after I said I was not seeking replacement as I was not 100% sure it was not me but he insisted on replacing them, He will take it up with his supplier.
The very kind supplier is Bret from addictive.:2tsup::2tsup:

gawdelpus
7th September 2010, 03:36 PM
Frustrating all round , but good result in the end ,most suppliers are happy to make good on faulty goods with no hassles , cheers ~ John

daryl1
19th July 2011, 09:38 PM
This is the same problem that I am having. Refere to my recent post Resing Casting Problem. Neil has given me some tip as to how the problem may be overcome. I think that the de-laminatingg may occur when trimming/millings the ends flush with the tube as Neil said that the bond between the casting, label or tube can be poor causing a seperation. It could happen due to the action of the pen mill turning if blunt or when pressure is applied from a drill press. I appreciate how dissapointing it is when you are almost finished your creation only to find this problem after turning. I am determined to continue until I have eliminated the problem, I will post a thread when I have some success and let you know how I have solved this very frustrating issue.
Regards

dj_pnevans
19th July 2011, 10:14 PM
Hi Rum Pig
Mate you could try and use more resin with only a small bit Mek so it has a good chance of filling before it sets.If you have a pressure pot it would be better. You could even use a syringe and needle.
David