PDA

View Full Version : Pull top

Tiger
4th September 2010, 08:07 PM
I'd like to make pull tops for some kids. These are the type where you pull on some string and the top spins for what seems like forever. I have seen ones where you make a wooden ring and that holds the string in. If anyone has any dimensions and tips for how to get these things to spin for long periods of time, I would be grateful.

Farnk
4th September 2010, 09:52 PM
Mate,

Made a fair few of these, and I reckon that the key is not too make the top body and the ring too large. These need to be appropriately sized for little hands.

The ring i usually make around 40mm in diameter, with a wall thickness of around 5mm. The ring width is usually around 10-15mm. I try to use a lighter type of timber to keep the centre of gravity low.

The body and spindle I turn like a wide bell, body around 40-50mm tall and a similar measure at the largest diameter. I've found that a slightly denser timber is the go here. I've made heaps out of cypress pine offcuts.

Hope that helps
f

issatree
4th September 2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Tiger,
I make mine a little different.
Mine are in 3 pieces. It depends what Timber you use for starters. I mainly use Red Gum, Jarrah, Cotoneaster, Claret Ash, etc, as the are all solid woods.
With R/G, I get those old fence posts, so I get 75mm. x 75mm.. My top is 1 piece.
For the Handle, I would most likely use the same timber.
I use 30mm. x 30mm. + or - x 185mm. Drill the Tops Shaft Hole in 1 end.
The hole end goes to the Tail Stock End where I just Eye Ball the Centre, put a bit of Design in the Handle.
I finish all my Children's Stuff with a Mixture of Soy Bean Oil & Beeswax.
Those Wooden Ball / Bead Car Seats of a while ago, I use as the Puller, & a 630mm. Shoe Lace, I have found the Best to pull the Top with.
With the Shoe Lace you have no trouble getting the Aglett ( S/L plastic end )in the Tops Hole.
Gee that sounds complicated. If I was any good at putting Photos on the Forum, then you would see what I mean.
I make 100's of these, & flog them as well.
Regards,
issatree,
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2010, 12:27 AM
I'm inherently lazy. :-

I turn the handle out of squared stock, leaving an "unturned cube" on one end.

Which is simply drilled one way to take the spindle and then the other to take the string. (If that makes sense)

Tiger
5th September 2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to need pictures if possible just so I have a concrete idea of where I'm going.
I was planning on using some string from some string-line that I've got, is that okay or do I need a specific type that will withstand the strain imposed by kids.

Also seen the ones that are powered by a "fork" type handle but on first impressions I can't see how they are tied up to impart spin.

issatree
5th September 2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Tiger,
As Skew said, you can do it his way, but my way is a lot easier. So it just a stick of wood.
Put Say a 12mm. hole in near the end. Put it between centres & turn it, no dramas of having 2 holes.
As I Said before, use a 630mm. shoe lace. So much easier.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

colhu
5th September 2010, 11:52 PM
Hi Guys

see the pic below:

the two tops are about 40mm diameter, made from recycled hardwood so they have a bit of weight. The shaft is about 9 mm. The critical thing is to get a concentric point.

the handle is a piece of broom handle about 150mm long, drilled about 1 mm bigger than the top shaft.

the cord is something like chalk line with a loop tied in one end. Poke the plain end through the hole, wind it around, hold the handle so the top is a few mm off the table, and pull the cord. These will spin for about a minute.

For smaller kids with shorter arms, make the cord shorter.

cheers, Colin

thumb trimmer
6th September 2010, 12:03 AM
Tiger,
I made these two a couple of months ago.
The top with the handle is made from (indian) rosewood and the handle from a meranti offcut. This one spins for eons, but takes a while to 'reset' before each launch (much to my 2 year old's impatience)
The other wasn't quite the success that I'd hoped ... one of these days I'll make another. The top section is a little too to heavy, so it doesn't spin very well, and not for very long.
I think one of the others above mentioned that you need to keep the spindle 'smaller' :doh: ... that definitely seems to help.

anyhowz ... have a bit of a crack at one with some scrap ... and good luck

regards
TT

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2010, 12:14 AM
*nods* TT's are very similar to what I make.

I've tried Colin's broom-handle ones before, but I found them more difficult to pull... and the tops didn't spin anywhere near as long. Probably just sloppy workmanship on my behalf, as I was rushed. :shrug:

oldiephred
6th September 2010, 09:14 AM
As with any top , it is important that the shaft be perfectly perpindicular to the body and the pointed end be exactly concentric with the shaft and body. This might seem pretty basic but I find that first time makers do not tend to plan the project well enough to get a well balanced top. Just a thought:D

Tiger
6th September 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks, boys, particularly Colin and TT for the photos.

Colin, like your simple approach and as I might have to make a few of these, I like that simple design. Your instructions are well laid out and I will be making some as per your design when I get home tonight.

TT, your second top looks pretty fancy but getting a top to spin for long periods of time is a challenge.

Maybe we should have a contest and try and see who can design a top that spins the longest.

thumb trimmer
6th September 2010, 01:21 PM
Tiger,

I got the idea for the second top from the ornamental turners at the WwW show in Sydney earlier this year. I've not checked but there may be some info on their website; alternatively, give one of them a call.

The thing I like about the design of the second top is that you don't have to 'reset' the string each and every time, unless somehting goes wrong, the string is always ready to go.

As I mentioned in my post, I plan to make another one of these, but I'll change the proportions a little; making the top part small/narrower.

Alternatively, the first top I made is real easy to make. Not that I'm comparing, but you don't necessarily need all the trimming that Colin has. Keep it simple, and typically it'll come out good. Particularly if you need to make a few of these. I've also found if you use a relatively dense timber, the finish is better, but also the 'tip' of the top will hold it's shape longer.

Either way, good luck:2tsup:, and post a couple of pics when you're done.

TT

Tiger
6th September 2010, 01:31 PM
The thing I like about the design of the second top is that you don't have to 'reset' the string each and every time, unless somehting goes wrong, the string is always ready to go.

Great idea! A self-retracting pull top.

colhu
6th September 2010, 09:02 PM
Some more thoughts -

Basic physics suggests that for the best rotational inertia you should aim for reasonably heavy wood, in a squat shape so that as much of the weight as possible is towards the rim rather than the centre. Think of a gyroscope - they are usually in the form of a wheel with a heavy rim.

I've seen tops made with metal points set into them to give them an accurate and durable point to spin on - depends how keen you are. At the very least you need to make sure the point is carefully turned to be clean and accurately concentric, otherwise it will wobble.

have fun exploring the concept

cheers, Colin