PDA

View Full Version : buy or build cedar shed - advice

bcp
5th September 2010, 10:52 AM
Hi.

Trying to decide whether to buy this shed for $5800 or build myself.
Kyneton deluxe cedar
3.8w x 4.8d x 2.7h (that's about the size of the space available. Extra height wouldn't go astray).
2.1m Wall Height
Kyneton Deluxe - 3.8w x 4.8d - Timber shed [Kyneton Deluxe] : Buy a Shed, - garden sheds - farm sheds - carports - garage - and lots more (http://www.buyashed.com.au/kyneton-deluxe-38w-x-48d-timber-shed-p-386.html)

1. I like the cedar finish to look at or timber rather than tin which i have now. Does anyone have this type of shed? Are they worth it?
2. I don't mind building, but to do so i'd need to save quite a bit of money to make it worthwhile. Would it be much cheaper to buy the parts and build it? Does this open up a nightmare with council planning?

Appreciate any advice from those who know this stuff.
Brett

banjoping
8th September 2010, 03:46 PM
It would depend on what discount you can buy your timber at as to your ability to beat the price.

Regarding 2) you are right in that the biggest problem will probably be engineered drawings and getting through Building Approval. It is worth checking with your Shire in regards to what they want- it may be quite simple. For example we are primarily c-section shed builders but on occasion do steel stud or timber stud sheds at request of clients. In this case sometimes all we had to do was a cover letter from the Stud Frame supplier confirming that the frames will be made to Australian Standards. In some cases this was suffucient additional information for the shire to approve.

Yonnee
8th September 2010, 05:30 PM
Hey Brett, Welcome aboard.

I've had a look at Mornington Peninsula Shire site (http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/page/page.asp?Page_Id=92&h=0#BM206) and they've gone the same way Casey Council have and handed all the building permit stuff over to private Building Surveyors. So get in touch with a couple and see what they require. It may be as simple as dimensional drawings, what size material, and where it's located on the property. (Also, anything less than 10M3 doesn't require a permit. I know this is smaller than what you want though...)