PDA

View Full Version : Micro Mesh for rotory tool

Castaway
5th September 2010, 05:31 PM
Hi all...

I'm wanting to know if you can get foam padded micro mesh pads to fit a rotory tool (dremel) is there such things.

Also was after 3" micro mesh hook and loop discs, had a look on the sandpaper man website but only had 5" and above.

Any info would be great.

Manuka Jock
5th September 2010, 05:37 PM
Look above your post , to the Sandpaper Man , he might know

Castaway
5th September 2010, 07:29 PM
Had a look on the Sandpaper Man site. Has most of what I need except for the rotory tool micro mesh stuff. Any other ideas.

Rifleman1776
7th September 2010, 12:39 AM
Even if you can/could get it that way, I wouldn't recommend. MM is a plastic product and very (did I say VERY?) sensitive to heat. Powered sanding with MM would ruin it in seconds. On a lathe, I use slow speed and a light touch with MM. Really using pressure does not improve results, it works just fine with a light touch. Do not hold on the wood very long or heat may build up.
Done properly, a set of MM can last a very long time. My set is about five years old and going strong. I am thrifty, can we say 'cheap' :- I don't like to spend money unnecessarily. MM is expensive, at least here in the U.S. it is.
BTW, I just toss in the laundry now and then to clean and let air dry.

Castaway
7th September 2010, 06:44 PM
Rifleman1776,

Thanks for the info about heat build up. Spoke to our local oz supplier of MM (Sandpaper Man) today, they were very helpful. Have purchased one of there 2' soft touch pad kits it comes with Micro-Gloss polish as well. As I am using it to polish plastic this will give me an idea of what grit I will be using the most.

Thanks again.

Rifleman1776
8th September 2010, 12:11 AM
Rifleman1776,

Thanks for the info about heat build up. Spoke to our local oz supplier of MM (Sandpaper Man) today, they were very helpful. Have purchased one of there 2' soft touch pad kits it comes with Micro-Gloss polish as well. As I am using it to polish plastic this will give me an idea of what grit I will be using the most.

Thanks again.

Yes, the pad kits are fine for plastics. I have learned, the hard way, to avoid ever using the two coarsest grits. They invariably will scratch the surface to deeply you may never be able to sand them out properly.
BTW, with either the pads or regular MM, keep it moving.

Castaway
9th September 2010, 08:38 AM
Rifleman1776

Thanks will keep it moving.