PDA

View Full Version : my latest turning

thumb trimmer
6th September 2010, 12:21 AM
... a tassy myrtle bowl.

I'm pretty happy with the shape ... lovin' using the new oland tool (see one of my other threads re: this tool).

... but I'm a bit bummed :~ with the finish. I've been using shellawax ... great stuff, but I've noticed a number of other formites getting a fantastic lustre on some of their works.

EEE??? BLO??? DO??? Combinations???

Some advice on what others find effective would be much appreciated.

regards
TT

minus459
6th September 2010, 12:36 AM
I'm only new dig, but that looks bloody fantastic :D

undies

artme
6th September 2010, 06:47 AM
Nice work indeed!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

EEE has a cutting powder in it and you will not get a really bright lustre with it alone.

Use Ultrashine over that to get the lustre you want. Spread the finish evenly at low speed and then get some revs up, apply a bit of pressure and the heat generated will give the result you want.

RETIRED
6th September 2010, 09:11 AM
Nice work indeed!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

EEE has a cutting powder in it and you will not get a really bright lustre with it alone. EEE is an abrasive, NOT a finish. It is an extension of the sanding process.

Use Ultrashine Shellawax over that to get the lustre you want. Spread the finish evenly at low speed and then get some revs up, apply a bit of pressure and the heat generated will give the result you want.

SHELLAWAX friction polish (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html)

wheelinround
6th September 2010, 10:39 AM
Love the shape great work:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
6th September 2010, 11:51 AM
Have found that if the trip E is not removed completly using a clean cloth or paper towel, then the Shellawax tends to streak some...so, like Artme said, low speed, etc, etc.

artme
6th September 2010, 02:38 PM
Sorry ! :B Wasn't quite awake when I posted that!