PDA

View Full Version : Shellawax glow help

steck
6th September 2010, 09:38 AM
Hi,
my bottle of Shellawax Glow has gone lumpy in the bottle. They are very small drops of wax suspended in the polish.
It is hard to get that lovely shine happening as it always leaves streaks now, which are dammed hard to get rid of.
Any suggestions for saving the bottle of Glow?
Would sitting the bottle in hot water help?
I gave it a vigorous shake.

RETIRED
6th September 2010, 04:38 PM
Must admit that I haven't heard this one before.

According to the guru (aka Neil), shake the living daylights out of it.

It should not matter with lumpy bits in it.

He suggests you may be putting too much on.

If you have any trouble, you can bring it down here and give me a look.

Bring something down to put it on.

ubeaut
7th September 2010, 08:31 AM
As said: "Shake the living daylights out of it."Don't just wave the bottle up and down but really give it a lot of violent shaking. If need be put it into 2 bottles so there's plenty of space in the bottle to allow for more movement inside making it easier to really shake it up well.

Even if the little drops of wax haven't fully mixed in this won't have any effect on the way the Glow works. The streaking will be either your application or the timber. Most likely the application of too much, or picking up the wave of excess Glow on the base of the rag in the final stages of application.

This can be avoided by using the rag as a tool and keeping it on a constant angle throughout the application process.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U

PS you're obviously not getting enough shed time as it takes a long time sitting on the shelf for this to happen. Stop waiting and start playing more.:D

steck
7th September 2010, 10:33 AM
As said: "Shake the living daylights out of it."Don't just wave the bottle up and down but really give it a lot of violent shaking.:D

Okay I am really shaking it now!:aro-u::aro-d::aro-u::aro-d::aro-u::aro-d:

PS you're obviously not getting enough shed time as it takes a long time sitting on the shelf for this to happen. Stop waiting and start playing more.:D
Now you're just getting psychic! I have been away travelling a bit and haven't used the Shellawax Glow in quite a while. It's great stuff! I usually use the Shellawax Cream or danish oil on my turnings.
Plus it's been cold in the shed! Perhaps SWMBO's old nighty is a bit thin for this work? I couldn't build up any heat as I was polishing the bowl.

Thanks for the replies, and Neil. I will turn another piece and see how it goes.

Jim Carroll
7th September 2010, 02:21 PM
Steck another problem with the streaking could also be the cloth you are using. If it has a weave then the polish collects in this and lets it weap out uncontrolably.

Use a cloth like flanelette that does not have this problem.
Maybe some of the wifes old sheets.

steck
13th September 2010, 10:59 PM
Hi Jim and ,
thanks for your help on this.
I shook the bottle to buggery and back and it has reduced the size of the blobs significantly.:2tsup: This has also reduced the blobs of wax sticking on the woods surface.
I also changed the material I was using - it looked like a flannelette but it was stretchy. The material I used next left thinner stripes which looked like sanding marks but they rubbed off with tripoli.
So all is good now. Thanks again

ubeaut
14th September 2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Jim and ,
thanks for your help on this.
I shook the bottle to buggery and back and it has reduced the size of the blobs significantly.:2tsup: This has also reduced the blobs of wax sticking on the woods surface.
I also changed the material I was using - it looked like a flannelette but it was stretchy. The material I used next left thinner stripes which looked like sanding marks but they rubbed off with tripoli.
So all is good now. Thanks again

The thin strips that look like sanding marks are because you are using a little too much polish and not using the rag like a tool. You need to use 2 hands, 1 to hold the rad and the other to steady the hand holding the rag. You need to keep the rag on a constant angle in hard contact with the surface and using the same piece and position on the rag for the entire application. If yu take the rag off the work part way through and look at the face of it you will see a small wave of wax along the bottom edge of the rag below where it has been in contact with the timber. If you change the rags position during the application you will pick up this wave of wax and it will try to lay down a new layer of polish without success. Then what you end up with is the lines that look like sanding marks.

Cheers - Neil :U

PS always stop the lathe to apply Glow, Shellawax or Cream. Don't try to put it on with the lathe running or you won't get an even enough spread of the polish on the surface.