PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne W.W.W. Show 15-17 October 2010

Pages : [1] 2

Groggy
6th September 2010, 09:09 PM
Well, it is approaching the time of the year for the biggest and best show - Melbourne!

As usual, I will be looking for people who would like to man the stand and assist me.

Shortly I will be putting up on my website (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html) the schedule for shifts over the three days. Get in early and get the shift of your choice and, of course, free entry to the show. The web page is blank at the moment but in a few days it will be up and running.

Ideally, I like two hour blocks to be filled as it makes scheduling easier. Typically, you turn up at a pre-arranged time or call me on arrival, I then come out with your ticket.

Over previous years most volunteers have found it a good way to catch their breath and meet a bunch of other forumites. Often, members will attend the stand on a few days and really take the time to see the show and all the displays and demonstrations; in my view, this is the best way to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
WHEN: 15-17 October 2010

WHERE: Melbourne Showgrounds, Epsom Road Ascot Vale (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Melbourne+Showgrounds,+Epsom+Road%0AAscot+Vale&fb=1&gl=au&hq=Melbourne+Showgrounds,&hnear=Epsom+Rd,+Ascot+Vale+VIC+3032&cid=0,0,2470234142451401272&ei=E7-ETOrRLorRcdzJ-dAL&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQnwIwAQ)

TIME: 10am - 5pm, Daily

ADMISSION:
Adult $15,
Concession $13,
Kids under 14 Free
Multi day pass discounts available

DETAILS HERE (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=melbourne)

Mulgabill
7th September 2010, 08:51 PM
G'day Groggy!
Let us know when your web page is up:2tsup:

Sturdee
9th September 2010, 10:30 PM
The web page is blank at the moment but in a few days it will be up and running.

I waited a few days before looking at the web page and it's still not there, getting a bit slack there. :D

Peter.

Groggy
9th September 2010, 10:40 PM
I've been in Canberra, just got back. I'll do it over the weekend. Pushy bunch you volunteers :p:D

Sturdee
10th September 2010, 03:31 PM
I've been in Canberra, just got back. I'll do it over the weekend. Pushy bunch you volunteers :p:D

Better than some other places where they have trouble getting them. :D

Peter.

Groggy
10th September 2010, 11:24 PM
Ok, the webpage is up (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html), calling for volunteers!

Groggy
10th September 2010, 11:45 PM
We are off to a good start :2tsup:

John Saxton
10th September 2010, 11:46 PM
It's only a flamin' mebbe Greg, like to think I can get over and help ya out.

Cheers:)

Groggy
10th September 2010, 11:50 PM
That would be great John. :2tsup:

I hope they don't sit us opposite the Festool stand for three days again, that was plain cruel! :cool: :rolleyes:

Waldo
11th September 2010, 03:48 PM
Sometime around lunch on the Friday mate. :2tsup: DONE 1100-1300

John Saxton
11th September 2010, 04:10 PM
That would be great John. :2tsup:

I hope they don't sit us opposite the Festool stand for three days again, that was plain cruel! :cool: :rolleyes:

Yeah I can only probably come over if Festool & Lie Nielsen are at the other end of the shed:D

Sturdee
11th September 2010, 04:35 PM
Greg,

I can do Friday 10.00am - 11.00am, Saturday 12.00am- 13.00 pm and Sunday 13.00 pm - 14.00 pm. DONE This will fit in with the turning demos I want to see.

Btw I don't care about Festool or Lie Nielson stands.:D

Peter.

Groggy
11th September 2010, 05:14 PM
More volunteers still needed, line up, line up! Plenty of slots, no need to push :D

Chesand
11th September 2010, 06:04 PM
Put me down for a couple of hours, preferably late morning or early afternoon, on Friday. DONE 1300-1500 Friday

Probably will be able to do a couple on the Sunday afternoon but will let you know later.

Groggy
11th September 2010, 06:34 PM
For those who have already volunteered, thank you :2tsup:

We can fine tune times if you prefer something a bit different, just let me know.

RufflyRustic
11th September 2010, 09:12 PM

They had the Festool stand in front of the Brisbane Forums stand. JourneyMan Mick and I had great fun browsing from afar.:D

Mulgabill
12th September 2010, 07:43 PM
G'day Groggy!
Pencil me in for Sun 10 to 12. DONE, thank you

Kev Y.
13th September 2010, 03:55 AM
Put me down for
Friday - 12-13, 15-16
Saturday - 12 -13, 15-16
Sun - 12 -13

DONE thank you!

ozhunter
13th September 2010, 10:52 AM
Groggy

I am planning to drive down to the show, (so I can fill the back of my Cruiser up with toys and wood :2tsup: ) but I won't really know 100% that I am going until a few days before, due to work commitments. If I make it down I would be happy to fill in for a bit here and there. Having never attended before, what is involved in manning the booth?

Very non-committal I know, but best I can do at this point.

Anyone got any suggestions on accommodation close by?

Cheers

oz

Groggy
13th September 2010, 01:01 PM
Ok, the roster is updated (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html), still room for more volunteers!

ozhunter, the task was described earlier, we pass pamphlets to the public and explain to them what is on the forums and how they can use it.

John Saxton
13th September 2010, 08:30 PM
Ok, the roster is updated (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html), still room for more volunteers!

Hi Greg, can't get the link to Load even though we're in W.A. Commonly known as wait awhile :D will be there with bells on just task me wherever ya need me as I'll be there the whole deal.

Chesand
13th September 2010, 09:22 PM
Hi Greg, can't get the link to Load
Won't load for me now either

Ray153
13th September 2010, 10:05 PM
Groggy, you can write me in for 10 till 12 on the Saturday morning. happy to do two shifts. That would make the pay double time would it not? :D
DONE - thank you!

Pagie
13th September 2010, 10:49 PM
I can do the 11-12 on Friday
peter

DONE - thank you!

Groggy
13th September 2010, 11:03 PM
I have been giving the network a bit of a flogging, it should be ok now as the transfers are finished. I'll update the page tomorrow, thanks for the offers. :2tsup:

RETIRED
13th September 2010, 11:36 PM
Loads quick now.

Groggy
14th September 2010, 10:26 AM
In case anyone is using an old link - use this one (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html).

I changed the link after a few days when I redesigned the page. If you are getting a grey screen you are using the old link.

John Saxton
14th September 2010, 03:44 PM
OK Greg put me down for 1100-1200 & 1400-1500 Friday & Saturday and then on Sunday 1400-1600 and chuck me in for the pack up crew if'n ya need an extra hand.

DONE - Check Friday and see if you would rather move to a new slot or even drop one. Thanks mate! :2tsup:

metester
14th September 2010, 06:06 PM
I can do Sat at 1pm or Sunday at 11am. :) DONE - Sunday at 11am it is, thank you!

Groggy
14th September 2010, 06:13 PM
The roster is updated (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html), still room for more volunteers on Saturday or Sunday arvo. Don't forget the free entry!

John Saxton
14th September 2010, 07:54 PM
OK Greg put me down for 1100-1200 & 1400-1500 Friday & Saturday and then on Sunday 1400-1600 and chuck me in for the pack up crew if'n ya need an extra hand.

DONE - Check Friday and see if you would rather move to a new slot or even drop one. Thanks mate! :2tsup:

Greg you can drop the 1100-1200 Friday and I'll drift about in the event you need someone to fill a slot.

Cheers:) DONE

Christos
15th September 2010, 10:10 PM
Looking good on the influxs of volunteers. Taking a look at the web site lists seems to be a football team roster with a reserve. :U

doug3030
15th September 2010, 10:43 PM
I can fill 13:00 - 14:00 friday if nobody else has taken it yet :2tsup:

DONE - thank you! BTW, I am in Hoppers.

Groggy
17th September 2010, 10:16 PM
Looking good on the influxs of volunteers. Taking a look at the web site lists seems to be a football team roster with a reserve. :UPlenty of space on Saturday and Sunday folks, but be quick, slots are filling fast!

Check the Roster here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html)

Groggy
19th September 2010, 08:40 PM
BUMP!

Still plenty of space on Saturday and Sunday folks, check the Roster here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html)

Groggy
22nd September 2010, 03:53 PM
My apologies to anyone who has been getting errors trying to open the roster (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html). Over the last week I have been redesigning my home network, changing IP addresses, ISPs, modems and routers - what a mess :doh:

Anyway, the site should be up and running again, please let me know by PM if you have any problems.

Groggy
23rd September 2010, 08:26 PM
Bump!

Saturday and Sunday still have spots for those who can spare a bit of time for a free entry. Roster here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html)

Pagie
23rd September 2010, 08:40 PM
ok put me down for the 17th@ last 2 shifts DONE thank you Glen

doug3030
23rd September 2010, 10:31 PM
I can do 16:00 to 17:00 on saturday as well as the shift ive already booked on friday if thats ok groggy?:2tsup: Ok? Of course it's ok! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: DONE and thank you!

Allan at Wallan
26th September 2010, 11:06 AM
Whoops, nearly missed out on volunteering.

Happy to assist Greg. Probably the Sunday would be
best for me. Just slot in a couple of hours for me and I
will be there.

Allan Done - 1400-1500 on Sunday. Also put you in to assist Sunday morning if you are there, no problem if you aren't, just makes it easier for me to scoot to the entrance to let people in. Thanks Allan!

tea lady
26th September 2010, 11:59 AM
I can be there from 1400 to 1500 Saturday. Will have Small-boy with me prolly, so he will spend the whole time saying "muuuuUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuM" When are we going home. :rolleyes:

Gathering shopping list. :cool: DONE - TL & SB Saturday 1400-1500 thank you!

Tim the Timber Turner
26th September 2010, 06:06 PM
I can be there from 1400 to 1500 Saturday. Will have Small-boy with me prolly, so he will spend the whole time saying "muuuuUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuM" When are we going home. :rolleyes:

Gathering shopping list. :cool: DONE - TL & SB Saturday 1400-1500 thank you!

Tea Lady

If you bring the little one over I'll give him a honey dipper and a pot of honey.

That should keep him ocupied for a while.:2tsup:

However the deal is, you have to clean up the sticky kid after he finishes.:o

Cheers
Tim:)

tea lady
26th September 2010, 10:28 PM
Tea Lady

If you bring the little one over I'll give him a honey dipper and a pot of honey.

That should keep him ocupied for a while.:2tsup:

However the deal is, you have to clean up the sticky kid after he finishes.:o

Cheers
Tim:):hmm: Roll him in shavings and flog him off as a lamington? :D Will make sure I drop by for a chat anyway. (Small-boy will prolly decide he doesn't like honey.:doh::D )

Groggy
26th September 2010, 10:54 PM
Bump!

Only 3 spots left for a free entry. Saturday has three 1 hour spots for those who can spare a bit of time for a free entry. Roster here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html)

Going fast...

Allan at Wallan
27th September 2010, 10:40 AM
Whoops, nearly missed out on volunteering.

Happy to assist Greg. Probably the Sunday would be
best for me. Just slot in a couple of hours for me and I
will be there.

Allan Done - 1400-1500 on Sunday. Also put you in to assist Sunday morning if you are there, no problem if you aren't, just makes it easier for me to scoot to the entrance to let people in. Thanks Allan!

I will be there in the morning and make a day of it ... see you then.:2tsup:

Allan

Grumpy John
29th September 2010, 09:56 AM
Put me in for the 15:00 - 16:00 and reserve slot on Saturday please Groggy. DONE - thanks John!

KevM
29th September 2010, 10:55 AM
I'll be back on Saturday, drop me in for the spare slot. DONE. Nice one, thanks Kev.

Groggy
29th September 2010, 11:19 AM
Bump!

Only 1 spot left for a free entry. Saturday has a 1 hour spot for someone who can spare a bit of time for a free entry. Roster here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html)

Last chance . . .

fubar
4th October 2010, 10:53 AM
gday greg
can you put me down for when ever have finally sorted the time off and can fill in anytime
dennis

DONE Thanks Dennis. I have you down for 1300-1400 on Saturday and if you are there Friday morning I have you from 1000-1100

Groggy
4th October 2010, 01:00 PM
Great news folks, all the spots are taken and we are still two weeks away from the show! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The roster can be found here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html). I will contact all volunteers shortly via PM with my phone number and any other details necessary.

If you are interested in being an emergency let me know and I'll put your name down.

Mulgabill
4th October 2010, 04:54 PM
Well done Groggy and all those who volunteered!:2tsup: I am looking forward to the show, Eleven more sleeps to go :q

fubar
5th October 2010, 09:52 AM
see you friday around 10 depending on traffic and parking

Pagie
5th October 2010, 10:16 AM
How do we get in? free pass?

KevM
5th October 2010, 10:45 AM
How do we get in? free pass?

See below from Greg

Great news folks, all the spots are taken and we are still two weeks away from the show! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The roster can be found here (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html). I will contact all volunteers shortly via PM with my phone number and any other details necessary.

What has been done in previous years was to ring Greg on his mobile when you get there and he will meet you at the entry to the show.

Groggy
5th October 2010, 12:30 PM
I have just sent a Private Message to all the volunteers, if you have a shift (http://groggy.homeip.net/Woodshow/Roster.html)and did NOT get a PM please let me know asap.

Details for contact and entry are in the PM.

Groggy
14th October 2010, 10:21 AM
We have a vacancy due to work commitments for a Sunday morning shift for one hour from 1100-1200. Free entry to anyone who would like to help out.

Kev Y.
14th October 2010, 11:39 AM
Mark me in groggy.

Groggy
14th October 2010, 02:32 PM
Done, thanks Kev!

Groggy
14th October 2010, 04:18 PM
I went in to the show today to set things up. It is looking good! For those after a coffee and sit-down, the forums coffee area is through the forum stand itself. The forum stand is #64, on the other side of the uBeaut stand (#65). If you can't find that, go to the eating area and look near the catering stand. If you still can't find it and know where Stan Ceglinski's display area is, look around there. If you don't know Stan, ask uBeaut! :wink:

Things were looking pretty busy and lots of promised bargains. I think we are in for another good show this year. :2tsup:

ubeaut
14th October 2010, 06:21 PM
Just knocked off and anyone who misses this show will really be missing something great. Seems to be a number of new stands lots and lots of interesting stuff. Tons and tons of timber from amazing to good and everything in between.

A definite must for sure.

Cheers - Neil :U

Christos
14th October 2010, 08:20 PM
Post pictures. Even if they are of just wood. :U

AUSSIE
14th October 2010, 08:24 PM
Post pictures. Even if they are of just wood. :U
I am taking my camera.I just have to remember to take some photos:2tsup:

Groggy
14th October 2010, 09:06 PM
I'll be taking a bunch of photos and posting them, like I have in previous years.

Waldo
14th October 2010, 09:09 PM
:aro-u: Well that won't be any good with my ugly mug now will it?

Groggy
14th October 2010, 09:24 PM
:aro-u: Well that won't be any good with my ugly mug now will it?Prolly not. I tried to get a photo of you last year and the face recognition software popped up a message that said "ask the subject to turn around" :D

Waldo
14th October 2010, 09:25 PM
Boom boom.

Groggy
15th October 2010, 08:02 AM
Big day today. Lots of people expected and the best of the timber is available. Some rain early on just brings out the grain :)

Hope to see a lot of forumites there, make sure you drop by and say g'day.

Waldo
15th October 2010, 09:12 AM
Just gotta do a quote, a bit of Photoshop work and I'll jump in the :driving: :2tsup:

Grumpy John
15th October 2010, 09:25 AM
Prolly not. I tried to get a photo of you last year and the face recognition software popped up a message that said "ask the subject to turn around" :D

You're lucky it didn't ask him to pull his pants up :oo::rolleyes::D.

Cliff Rogers
15th October 2010, 09:51 AM
Ar-huh, this is where you are.

Spooky
15th October 2010, 11:08 AM
Slow start this morning due to the rain, not too many customers so far. The crowd keeps building though so who knows what it will be like after lunch when people take an early mark.

Cliff Rogers
15th October 2010, 11:14 AM
G'day Spooky, you haven't been around for a while.

Bit slow on the Friday thread too.

Spooky
15th October 2010, 03:48 PM
G'day Cliff, I usually only haunt the T&WWW Shows - but you knew that :D

Here are a few pictures of the day so far. Highlight of the day so far is a good long talk with Jim Davey about sharpening and fettling issues. He certainly is a great person to learn from and knows his craft. Pushing a few of his planes it was a pleasure to see wafer thin curlies spin out of the plane. For those who wonder how thin, I wrote my name on the timber and Jim managed to plane *most* of it off after about ten passes, taking a full shaving each time.

Cliff Rogers
15th October 2010, 06:51 PM
They made Christopha wear a hat.... kinda takes the shine off him a bit. :p

Groggy
15th October 2010, 07:41 PM
Let's put the bad things up front:

Parking - needs improving. Whoever runs the parking needs to believe that when they are told their planning is flawed - it really IS flawed. People being forced to park a distance from the venue in pouring rain is one thing, but to tritely announce they will provide shuttle buses (on Saturday) is just plain ignoring the needs of the organisers and the paying public.

Catering - needs more tables and the queues were long.

NOTE: I spoke to EEE management about this and they were frantically trying to get these things sorted out.

Please be aware that parking is the responsibility of the grounds management through a contractor. The organisers (EEE) have very little to no control over the parking OR catering. (Unfortunately they seem to wear the blame for it.)

Good things:

Spacious. Relaxed and lots of open space to move around. Because the place was not packed people were able to have a good talk to the vendors. I was very pleased to get some time with Terry Gordon, Colen Clenton, Jim Davey and Trent Powrie. A few minutes talking to some of these guys can save you a lot of time in the workshop. While chatting to Jim Davey I picked up a number of very useful ideas to put into use with my sharpening.

Lounge areas scattered around the stands were in use again by tired shoppers, these are a real asset to the public. I often wonder how many people left the shows early in previous years because they needed a rest. The public were able to sit and have a coffee while waiting for the gates to open in the morning. This is a great way to keep the frustration levels at bay.

Vendors. Lots of stands with most vendors there. I only really noticed Timbecon missing, otherwise the floorspace looked fully used. Displays look to be well stocked and there were plenty of staff on hand to answer questions. Carba-Tec have their usual large and well stocked stand, Jim Carroll's turning supplies seemed to 'own' an entire wall and Festool have their usual high standard display.

Public
The day was quieter than I have seen previously, mainly due to it being a work day and raining. I hope tomorrow sees a greater attendance as it really is a well prepared and delivered show. The quieter aisles meant easy movement and time to browse for those who did come along.

As usual EEE staff were buzzing around seeing if everything was going smoothly. Considering the forums are supported for free we get very good service from EEE, so a big thank you from everyone who stopped in the forum stand for lunch, a coffee or just a rest. Water, coffee, milk and some biscuits are provided and very much appreciated.

General:
The day started slowly due to heavy rain which continued for most of the day. Most early arrivals bolted to the back of the shed to get to the choice timbers. There was a huge selection of timber this year. I can't recall ever seeing so much Huon Pine or slabs of Blackwood. Very nice stuff :2tsup:

The forum area was very well attended and was a great place to relax and take a few minutes rest. John Saxton obviously thinks I talk to much as one chap wanted to know aout "chattering" so he quickly handed him over to me. :rolleyes: I quickly advised John that he meant "chattering" tools on a lathe and would be better off talking to or the turning club guys. Nice one John :D

Finally thank you to all the volunteers for turning up today. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

PS - the show is a good one folks, please don't let the weather put you off or next year we may see a lot of public but fewer vendors. If I were to summarise day one in one sentence, it would be:

"A very well prepared show that is so far under-attended"

Wongo
15th October 2010, 07:48 PM
Pauline looks great.

Doorstopper not so great. :D

joez
15th October 2010, 08:08 PM
Looking forward to going this Sunday :2tsup: Going to take my Dad this year I am sure he'll love it.So if you see a guy with a ponytail wearing this T-shirt its me :D

Can anyone tell me if there are ATM facilities at the show? or should I get my cash out before i go?

Is parking really that far from the show? last year was fairly close.

joez

springwater
15th October 2010, 08:13 PM
:grumble: Something that was going to happen this weekend isn't :whatonearth: Ah dunno, no bucks through no fault of my own, wouldn't mind a cuppla grand in the sky rocket then some fun would be had. No fun looking, drowling at the bling bling with no dosh. Still like to be around things to do ith wood and seeing things made from it. Don't wanna go up the back....ok I'd go up the back and check the slabs of things I can't get, look at the old tools :weeping: Say g'day to the Ubeauts on the stand, say g'day to Vesper and feel guilty not buying cause I reckon he's grouse in what he does. Smile at Stans antics...again (shame about his dog!). Walk around again...one more time. Get in the 57 tram back to the sitay, hour or more drive home...mmm...the weather doesn't bother me. Dunno :whatonearth: could just go and smell the wood. Don't tell me they made the musician satnd out where he was last year and play to the bench seats :oo:

Chesand
15th October 2010, 08:15 PM
There is NAB ATM at the bottom of the steps inside on the right hand side.

If you are there very early the parking is same as last year but later it is further back and they are running a shuttle bus down to the entrance.

You have to enter at gate 7 in Langs Rd and take the scenic route to the parking.

Chesand
15th October 2010, 08:18 PM
Groggy summed up today very well - very relaxed atmosphere

rabbitguts
15th October 2010, 08:45 PM
had a ball there on friday good to see buses from all over victoria were taking people there. yes a few problems with parking ect but i have seen events there run much worse.

Loved seeing the Lie-Nielsen (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/) stand there, knowing that i brought the stuff almost half price from USA and it arrived in 4 days:)

Sturdee
15th October 2010, 09:16 PM
There is NAB ATM at the bottom of the steps inside on the right hand side.

If you are there very early the parking is same as last year but later it is further back and they are running a shuttle bus down to the entrance.

You have to enter at gate 7 in Langs Rd and take the scenic route to the parking.

The parking area was the same as last year but then the entrance was from the main road not Langs road. I noticed that many cars tried to get in through gate 4 which was for the exhibitors which caused hassles if you were caught unaware of this and stuck in traffic.

So please go straight to gate 7 and avoid hassles.

Otherwise a great show so far.

Peter.

nine fingers
16th October 2010, 09:37 AM
A big thank you to the Woodwork Forum and the members who done the duty roster for supplying the rest room for a couple of senior members whose legs had given out after few hours . thanks Nine fingers and Aussie.

Woodwould
16th October 2010, 10:26 AM
I had a great time at the show on Friday. I would like to reiterate some of the points Groggy made:

The parking was appallingly badly managed; my long-suffering wife locked horns with no fewer than four parking attendants all the while, I had my arm out the window pointing frantically at the disabled permit in the windscreen. I was informed there would be adequate disabled parking close to the venue, but we were told repeatedly yesterday that there were no disabled parking facilities. In sheer frustration, Herself ignored a frantically waving parking attendant and she drove right down to the venue to drop me and my chariot off in the vendor's parking area. When she tried to park well out of the way in the same (half-full) area, she was given a really hard time by another attendant and returned, sodden, nearly in tears.
I realise the parking is not within the control of the organisers, but their voice on the matter might be heard, while mine wouldn't, hence the rant here. If I'd known what a hassle the parking was going to be (Herself had already given up the first day of a long-anticipated weekend retreat she was supposed to be attending), I wouldn't have asked to attend the show.

While the bottom lip is still down, I'll also mention the lack of tables and queues at the overstretched catering facilities. After walking round with arms full of coffees and sandwiches, Herself finally asked another couple if she could just use a corner of their table for a few minutes to doctor the coffees and distribute the sandwiches. It appeared that many of the tables were taken up by people just resting their legs and flapping their jaws. Perhaps benches or sofas could be provided for that purpose in future.

On a positive note, I stopped by our illustrious leader who was busy as ever, but I did manage to catch his eye for long enough to say hello and receive a good humoured dismissal in return. Thanks to the forum blokes (Kev J and Waldo at the time of my visit) who were manning the forum stand.

I purchased a new bandsaw in the dollar-grabbing weeks running up to the show, but I did buy a few small items at the show including something from Lie Nielsen! Carba-Tec took some money off me, as did McJing's (naturally) and I've already remembered a couple of things I meant to purchase from them but forgot at the time.

All-in-all, we both had an enjoyable day, but for the aforementioned parking. Looking forward to next year's show already!

Big Shed
16th October 2010, 10:39 AM
SWMBO and myself attended yesterday and had a good time.

Avoided the 2 major pitfalls of attending the Showgrounds, parking (as mentioned above) and catering.

As we learned from the absolute parking chaos last year and observed the line of cars almost stretching back to Epsom Rd in Lang St we parked in a 2hr zone in Lang Street. Added bonus was that it was free.
Just before the 2 hours was up we walked back to our car (after obtaining a pass-out stamp) and ate the lunch we brought with us. Healthier, cheaper and we didn't have to queue for overpriced junk food.
We then shifted our car to another open spot a bit closer to the venue and returned for another 2 hour stint.
It was actually far closer to the the entrance than the parking within the Showgrounds.

Had a really good time at the show, spoke to a few forumites, bought some nice additions to the shed (all smaller items this time) and got out of Melbourne before the real peak hour hit.

All in all an enjoyable day, without any frustrations.

Liz Falloon
16th October 2010, 11:16 AM
Groggy thanks for the review of the show - really glad Friday is over - we honestly didn't know which way to turn. However sense has reigned and we had a long meeting with the Showground Management late yesterday afternoon, and they have now addressed the parking. They have put on more buses (as they promised for Friday and then nothing turned up) and more traffic control people. Rick and I are just about to go and test the system, right through to parking the car in the showground public parks. We also managed to convince them to change their catering system and today we have extra catering staff and more signage everywhere. So fingers crossed all runs a lot more smoothly now!!

Slow start to Saturday morning but crowds are now starting to 'hum' and sun has poked its head out!! Who would be an organiser for quids???? Liz

Woodwould
16th October 2010, 11:25 AM
Liz, thank you so much for dropping in here, taking note of and taking action on some of the concerns mentioned. You do a brilliant job and it gives me more confidence for attending next year. :thyel: If there was a forum award for outstanding performance and contribution, you would undoubtedly receive many nominations.

Liz Falloon
16th October 2010, 11:33 AM
Heh now you have made my day!! Liz

Mulgabill
16th October 2010, 12:21 PM
Yes I agree with Woodwould!

The T&WWS is very lucky to have a proactive people such as Liz and the team at EEE running it:2tsup:. Keep up the good work and success will follow!

Waldo
16th October 2010, 12:56 PM
I talked, wandered and looked and left with aching legs. I forgot to wear my boots as they're the only real comfy things my feet have.

Didn't buy anything, would have liked to but didn't find what I wanted.

Parking was mentioned so I won't add to that.

I was hoping the likes on Milwaukee and Trade Tools would have more than basically drills, as I was after a 1/4" trimmer - but alas.

It was good to catch up with the usual faces and some faces I rarely see and also to meet the illustrious WoodWould. :2tsup:

Hopefully next year I might have some readies brimming in my wallet.

Groggy
16th October 2010, 07:15 PM
I recommend that you ask for the number of the person responsible for the shambolic parking - and ring him/her and let them know your feelings. They continue to provide mediocre service because they are not in the firing line, and seem to avoid it.

For Liz, may I suggest (as I did to your staff today) that they keep a list of numbers for the managers of the other services handy to give to the public. While they remain faceless they will not give a darn. If the public reach out and touch them then things may change.

Sturdee
16th October 2010, 07:23 PM
Heh now you have made my day!! Liz

And you made my day Liz, finally meeting you today and able to put a face to the name.

Today was day two, saw more people, spent more money, saw more demos and enjoyed myself.

Came by public transport which was good as I was able to read Carrols catalogue on the way home and dream of more wonderful tools I really ought to have.

Tomorrow is day three and I'll do the same. :2tsup:

Peter.

Claw Hama
16th October 2010, 07:57 PM
Sounds like everyone is having fun down there:D I would gladly take public transport to the next Sydney show, Newcastle to Sydney, snail train:~ and if they put a goods car back on it to take home the spoils:U
Oh and if anyone sees that limpy Mal Ward,:whip: tell him to get home I need more timber,,,, down "there" selling my timber to you riff raff:;:U.

Groggy
16th October 2010, 08:29 PM
A better day today. It seemed to be busy for most of the day, at times even difficult to get through the crowd. Mind you, if it wasn't Doug darting around bringing another piece of a tree back into the forum cave or GrumpyJohn busily scampering around buying another tool or knick-knack the crowd may have seemed a bit thinner. Good hunters those boys :D

First batch of pics show the general activity and end at the adult fun castle, ermmm, I mean the Festool stand, and Addictive pen kits (he was busy, I got lucky and caught a break in the traffic).

Jim Davey managed to get me to put the pry bar into my wallet and set the butterflies adrift for a USA Stanley #5. He does such a good job of these things that you really need to see for yourself. ChrisB had a play with some of his tools then decided he needed to undertake a sharpening session at home.

Tea Lady had a shift and got a paddle from Stan Ceglinski. I'll leave it up to her to explain that and the reader to decide if they believe her :)

The show overall seemed to be in full swing. Some stands were very busy, some strangely quiet. Probably the fairest comment I heard from a vendor was that last year was a great year, this year is a good year.

Groggy
16th October 2010, 08:36 PM

Groggy
16th October 2010, 08:42 PM
I tried to get a few shots of the timber - there was a lot of it this year.

tea lady
16th October 2010, 08:44 PM
Tea Lady had a shift and got a paddle from Stan Ceglinski. I'll leave it up to her to explain that and the reader to decide if they believe her :)
:doh: I asked him for cricket bat for my boy I left at home, and he said I was supposed to say please so he left a splinter in it.:rolleyes: I tried to test it as he turned to walk away but he was too quick. Must be use to people trying that sort of thing.:p

Parking was a bit weird as mentioned earlier. And not many signs when you got to the other end of the grounds saying where you were going.:doh: And all teh shuttle buses avooiding eye contact as the rain started. :C A whole bunch waiting on the return journey at the other end of the day though.:cool:

My haul was modest. A couple more Mcjing miniature turning tool blanks. I circuit board pen kit to make for the geek in my life for xmas. An acrylic rod for another little project I have in mind. :think: No wood grabbed me as I went past. :shrug: Spoke to lots of people. :cool: looked at lots of stuff.:cool:

I_wanna_Shed
16th October 2010, 08:44 PM
Good pics Groggy.

Although I hate it when other cities post up pics of their shows - reminds me its a long time coming till the Sydney show! I guess this would be the only good time to live in Melbourne :spyme:

Nathan.

Groggy
16th October 2010, 08:48 PM
Recognise anyone?

Groggy
16th October 2010, 08:58 PM
The hard working EEE team are a little blurred, sorry folks.

Special mention must go to Stan Ceglinksi, big character and a consumate crowd pleaser. I saw dozens of teens and kids watching his demos and there was not a phone or an iPod distracting them. Look at the pics, those kids really enjoyed themselves doing something with their hands - onya Stan :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thank you again to all the volunteers for today, makes it easy when we had two volunteers but somehow have four on the stand :D

Gossip for the day:

One of the well known vendors over-imbibed and was conspicuously quiet for most of the day. When it was suggested that a warm fish milk shake would fix him up he changed hues a few times :U