PDA

View Full Version : Nice Shaper on eBay

Ropetangler
6th September 2010, 09:36 PM
There is a nice shaper on eBay at the moment, and if I hadn't just bought one of similar size, I would have had a go for it myself. I have no connection with the seller, and apologize to anyone on this forum who is trying for it. It has around a day to go as I remember.

Metal shaping machine - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Metalworking, Industrial. (end time 07-Sep-10 21:14:43 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Metal-shaping-machine-/180555201485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a09edbbcd#ht_500wt_939)

Bryan
6th September 2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, been watching that one. Been a few queries. Bet there's a flurry at the end. Who wouldn't want that big lovable lump of reciprocating goodness in their shed? :wink: [No connection etc...]

Dave J
6th September 2010, 10:11 PM
I must have missed that one, looks good and has the swivel table, but again no vise.:?

Dave

Greg Q
6th September 2010, 10:15 PM
There was an 18" Butler yesterday for high 800's. I need that last bit of room for a woodworking machine so couldn't chase it. One day maybe.

Stustoys
6th September 2010, 10:16 PM
Not so sure about that Bryan, there was a very nice one a couple of days ago that went for just over $800. If I had the room it might have been in my shed, although I'm thinking about a granite plate just now.
What Hp are shapers normally? More to the point, would a 3Hp inverter start most of them? They are clutched normally arent they? so I guess it doesnt have a huge starting load.
Stuart

Stustoys
6th September 2010, 10:40 PM
Also, in the second picture. There appears to be some sort of adjustable stop on the ram and a couple of other knobs on the ram. Anyone know what they are for?
Stuart

Greg Q
6th September 2010, 10:50 PM
I am wondering about this machine. The original Atlas press company did not make a machine of this size, and Google shows an Indian machine sold under that name that looks pretty much identical. The seller reckons it's 1980's, which makes it a contemporary of my Taiwanese Atlas drill press which was a true piece of ####. (See drill press restoration thread).

####= crap

bollie7
7th September 2010, 09:04 AM
Also, in the second picture. There appears to be some sort of adjustable stop on the ram and a couple of other knobs on the ram. Anyone know what they are for?
Stuart

The one at the back of the ram (stubby spindle) is for adjusting the position of the stroke. You loosen the nut on top of the ram where the big slot is and turn the spindle to move the ram.
The large round thing with bits stick out on the side of the ram at the front is probably for a power downfeed on the tool holder. It might be for mechanically lifting the clapper box on the back stroke but I think its more than likely a power feed. When the ram comes back it trips the handle which then winds a bit of feed onto the tool holder. Having said that its been a long time since I used a shaper. LOL

bollie7

.RC.
7th September 2010, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Stustoys;1205949] If I had the room it might have been in my shed, although I'm thinking about a granite plate just now.
/QUOTE]

Well you still have an hour and fifteen minutes to head off to fisherman's bend where today Holden are starting the sell off of the entire contents of their engine manufacturing plant....

GM - JW Styles > Home (http://gm.jwstyles.com/)

Woodlee
7th September 2010, 08:32 PM
The one at the back of the ram (stubby spindle) is for adjusting the position of the stroke. You loosen the nut on top of the ram where the big slot is and turn the spindle to move the ram.
The large round thing with bits stick out on the side of the ram at the front is probably for a power downfeed on the tool holder. It might be for mechanically lifting the clapper box on the back stroke but I think its more than likely a power feed. When the ram comes back it trips the handle which then winds a bit of feed onto the tool holder. Having said that its been a long time since I used a shaper. LOL

bollie7
Yes the device on the side of the ram near the front is for down feeding the tool post .
Thanks to Ropetangler for the heads up and the offer but I'm out of space at the moment ,I would really like to get a shaper but at the moment I have a few other priorities that need attention.

Kev.

Stustoys
7th September 2010, 09:22 PM
See you do learn something new everyday :)
Thanks guys.
Stuart

Dave J
7th September 2010, 09:33 PM
Up to $1025 with 40 min to go.

Dave

Dave J
9th September 2010, 04:09 PM
2 more have come up on ebay,
Sydney,
METAL SHAPING MACHINE - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Metalworking, Industrial. (end time 13-Sep-10 21:15:46 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/METAL-SHAPING-MACHINE-/250693104180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a5e793234)
Melbourne
Invicta Type 4M Shaper - eBay, Equipment, Machinery, Metalworking, Industrial. (end time 14-Sep-10 21:40:28 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Invicta-Type-4M-Shaper-/200517006309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2eafbeb3e5)

Dave

Bryan
9th September 2010, 04:44 PM
What kind of idiot doesn't include even the most basic info about a machine? These and the ones who can't be bothered getting a focused photo really give me the irrits. They're on the east coast - as usual - so it doesn't matter. <mutter grumble> Thanks anyway Dave.

Woodlee
9th September 2010, 08:43 PM
See the invicta has the position cast onto the ram for the down feed on the tool post ,but it has never been fitted.
Used a Spanish made shaper at the mine where I worked some time ago ,it had auto feed on the tool post ,it's a very handy feature to have
Pity these sellers are too lazy to offer to freight the machinery as well ,they may get more interest and possibly better money if they did.

Kev.

Bryan
15th September 2010, 08:27 PM
Ok, fess up. Who snaffled the "Perfect condition" Invicta for $510?

Stustoys
15th September 2010, 10:02 PM
That would be me :D

Bryan
15th September 2010, 10:06 PM
Good score (hopefully). We'll be expecting pics and info as they come to hand...

Stustoys
15th September 2010, 10:15 PM
No manaul, can you believe it? lol
Pictures to follow

Dave J
15th September 2010, 10:57 PM
Good score Stuart:2tsup:
Will look forward to pictures.
You wont be needing that vise, so you can send it to me.lol

Dave

Stustoys
15th September 2010, 11:10 PM
Be interesting to see if I can remember how to make it work lol
Still there isn't much to it. Gear, stroke length, stroke position. Of course there must be something I'm forgetting.
I have to have a think about how I am going to wire it up first though, so it might be awhile.

Stuart

P.s. Dave I doubt Australia post would deliver the handle ;)