PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Timber suggestions?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2010, 11:51 PM
So, I have a friend in Canada (A newfie :U) who's more than willing to partake in a timber swap.

They're fascinated by Oz timbers in general, mainly the variety of colours. So I'm sending off some Dead Finish, Redgum, Conkerberry, fiddle-backed Tas Oak, Blackwood.... I'm sure you get the idea.

My problem is... the only Canadian Timber I can think of that I'd like in return is Rock Maple. :- I know they have Birch, Beech, Aspen and a whole slew of Maples... but to me they all look - and turn - pretty much the same.

Anyone have suggestions for other timbers which are both good for turning and, perhaps, a tad exotic to us Aussies?

BobL
6th September 2010, 11:58 PM
So, I have a friend in Canada (A newfie :U) who's more than willing to partake in a timber swap.

They're fascinated by Oz timbers in general, mainly the variety of colours. So I'm sending off some Dead Finish, Redgum, Conkerberry, fiddle-backed Tas Oak, Blackwood.... I'm sure you get the idea.

My problem is... the only Canadian Timber I can think of that I'd like in return is Rock Maple. :- I know they have Birch, Beech, Aspen and a whole slew of Maples... but to me they all look - and turn - pretty much the same.

Anyone have suggestions for other timbers which are both good for turning and, perhaps, a tad exotic to us Aussies?

I agree they don't have as much as we have in terms of variety. While I was there for 3 months earlier this year I sent myself back to Oz a care package of Dogwood, Yew, Cherry and Walnut. I also like White Beech. Anything spalted can look stunning when turned.

Just to annoy them a little I showed them this composite of some of the timbers I have milled in the last 3 years. One of these is not a native Aussie (Its north american). I challenged them to find it - I got about 20 responses but no one worked it out.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th September 2010, 12:13 AM
Yew?! Ooooer. Yes! Thanks Bob!

I don't think I've ever come across Dogwood; it looks like a google-a-thon is called for.

An interesting display in that collage! I'm hard pressed to put names to most of them myself. :- My friend is sort of umming and aahing, saying either #20 or #21 would be the American (although I think they're likely Tas Oak/Vic Ash or similar) or maybe, just maybe #11 on the basis the grain is right but too much colour.

As a matter of curiosity, what're #24, 25? Absolutely luvverly colour!

Gil Jones
7th September 2010, 03:55 AM
Skew,
Can't speak for White Beech, but regular Beech is nice, and if you can get it to spalt it is a real treat (see attached pics).
Also, Yew is good to turn, and is good looking.
Dogwood is hard, and cracks fast(at least our Georgia Dogwood does).
Red Bud (if they have it in Canada) also cracks easily, but is lovely wood.
Maple burls are very nice, or maybe some figured Maple.
Luck,
Gil

hughie
7th September 2010, 09:55 AM
Hmm, spalted birch, black locust,black walnut, red oak,spalted horse chestnut. Manitoba maple and Manitoba maple burl.

that should keep you going. :U

failing that have a chat to these guys;

Turning - Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement Forum (http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)

Sawdust Maker
7th September 2010, 09:56 AM
Bob

Nice montage

Skew

Customs can be a little iffy with spalted timbers

BobL
7th September 2010, 10:43 AM
Hmm, spalted birch, black locust,black walnut, red oak,spalted horse chestnut. Manitoba maple and Manitoba maple burl.

Black locust is the odd ball in the photo montage. I managed to pick up 4 small trunks in 2008. They're now milled (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/robinia-74121/) and dry in my wood store.

Ed Reiss
7th September 2010, 12:02 PM
Rhododendrum root, but watch out for embedded stuff like rocks.

QC Inspector
7th September 2010, 03:23 PM
If your friend is actually in the Maritimes he should be able to get you some Birdseye Maple (buds that are spread out along the trunk rather than in a clump like a burl). If he lives here in the west then if he can get you some Quilted Maple you will be grinning from ear to ear. We don't get the birdseye and they don't have quilted growing there. Curly Maple is also nice and can be found in all maples. All these maples are the result of growing conditions that affect the tree and are not different species. The rock maple (Sugar Maple) is hard but plain unless it is curly or has birdseye.

Unfortunately we don't have the varieties of wood you do but there are many non commercial woods that look good when turned. Spalting adds to them but as far as I know your inspectors will not let them into your country very easily if at all. Most of the commercial mills cull out the defective (which look great to a turner) woods and they get burned to heat the kilns or make power and that is why so much of our wood looks plain.

Just let your friend send you the best of what he can find and you should be happy.

Pete

RufflyRustic
7th September 2010, 03:29 PM
how about Elder, or is that English/European:?

artme
7th September 2010, 06:00 PM
BobL!!!!! I will have one cubic metre of each!!! Thank you!:D:D:D

Soren
7th September 2010, 09:18 PM

Skew
It does not matter what timber you get, as long as you 'share':2tsup:

Fuzzie
8th September 2010, 07:40 AM
Hmmm. I'm heading off in that direction for a holiday shortly. Not being a turner I hadn't thought of picking up timber. I don't think my budget runs to the sort of excess baggage required to bring back cabinet building quantities.

I will however be in Halifax and note there is a Lee Valley store there that I'll have to work out how to visit. Unfortunately it will be Thanksgiving weekend and will be closed Monday.

TTIT
8th September 2010, 12:49 PM
Hit him up for some Juniper and Bradford pear Skew :2tsup: The Juniper has some magic colour and the Bradford pear is beautiful stuff to turn - streamers as long as you like :U (at least I think they grow that far north :shrug: )

QC Inspector
9th September 2010, 05:32 AM
I will however be in Halifax and note there is a Lee Valley store there that I'll have to work out how to visit. Unfortunately it will be Thanksgiving weekend and will be closed Monday.

They are open till 9:00pm on Thursday and Friday as well as 6:00pm on Saturday. Lots of time to part with your money! :roll:

Pete

RETIRED
9th September 2010, 08:21 AM
They are open till 9:00pm on Thursday and Friday as well as 6:00pm on Saturday. Lots of time to part with your money! :roll:

PeteI don't think his wife wanted to hear that. :whistling2:

Fuzzie
9th September 2010, 10:18 AM
I don't think his wife wanted to hear that. :whistling2:

It will make up for all the quilt shops visited on the way :giveup: (Skew, sorry to hijack the thread)

Unfortunately we arrive on the Sat and depart Mon. However it looks from the google map that LV should be within striking distance from downtown. The other problem is its a lot harder to stash woodworking tools in the luggage than it is to slip in fat quarters.

QC Inspector
9th September 2010, 07:31 PM
I don't think his wife wanted to hear that. :whistling2:

Probably not but unless he moves his lips and mumbles when he reads she wouldn't.

The new LV catalogue was in the mail today, so when I get up tomorrow I will see what the newest "gettin'its" will be. :U :2tsup: :U

Pete

robo hippy
15th September 2010, 04:18 PM
If he has connections on the west coast, you might be able to get some Myrtle (california bay laurel) and Madrone (arbutus). Both nice to turn. Madrone warps like it is on drugs.

robo hippy

ticklingmedusa
15th September 2010, 05:42 PM
I read the entire thread to add the two species that Robo added at the end of the read. I know some of the trees of the same region.
If the wood comes from the West,
Madrone would be one to seek.
Alder turns easily and also might be found.
Redwood Burl or California Buckeye might be other ones to look for.

ticklingmedusa
16th September 2010, 12:28 PM
Another one occurred to me...
Manzanita burl or root ball.
From what I've seen it is probably more common in the south but it's range extends as far north as British Columbia so it might be a possibility as well.
If you are lucky enough to get one you'll enjoy spinning it.
tm

Allen Neighbors
16th September 2010, 01:22 PM
Now, I've gotta take my laptop to the shed, and blow the drool out of it.... :D

Allan at Wallan
16th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Yew?! Ooooer. Yes! Thanks Bob!

I don't think I've ever come across Dogwood; it looks like a google-a-thon is called for.

An interesting display in that collage! I'm hard pressed to put names to most of them myself. :- My friend is sort of umming and aahing, saying either #20 or #21 would be the American (although I think they're likely Tas Oak/Vic Ash or similar) or maybe, just maybe #11 on the basis the grain is right but too much colour.

As a matter of curiosity, what're #24, 25? Absolutely luvverly colour!

Skew, don't worry about importing the Dogwood. We have plenty in
Australia - you can pick it by the bark. Sorry mate, had to throw that in.:D

Allan

ticklingmedusa
16th September 2010, 04:00 PM
Good ones Allan and Allen ! :D:D