PDA

View Full Version : TOS 4 Jaw 125mm Self centering Chuck

stevew
7th September 2010, 07:50 AM
Hi ,
I have just purchased a woodlathe and it came with a TOS Chuck ( Made in Chez Republic.
4 Jaws ,125mm and is self centering with a t/bar type operating key.
Appears to be in as new condition with some minor surface rust (from sitting on the shelf)that will clean up with some steel wool.also comes with a brand new set of spare jaws.
appears to have thread size of 30mmx3.5
How much do you think a fair price would be to ask for this item as I dont need another chuck.??
P.s. HAVE NOW CLEANED WITH STEEL WOOL ,AND IT LOOKS FANTASTIC.

looking forward to all replies.
Thank you
Steve

bollie7
7th September 2010, 08:46 AM
Steve
No idea of what it would be worth as 4 jaw self centering chucks are not all that common.
Is it a chuck for a metal lathe or a wood lathe? I know you said it was on a wood lathe but I thought I'd ask. If its for a metal lathe it might be worth keeing if you have a metal lathe of course. Could come in handy sometimes.
TOS is a pretty good brand. I think my big dividing head is a TOS. Every part in it has a part number stamped or engraved on it.

bollie7

stevew
7th September 2010, 08:55 AM
It is a metal working chuck and I dont have a metal working lathe,that is why I am selling the chuck.Would be of more use to one of our members rather than just sitting in my shed and never being used.
Cheers.
Steve

pipeclay
7th September 2010, 11:30 AM
If the chuck has a removable Back Plate (the piece with the thread on it) it could be fitted to almost any Lathe.
A new one of similar size is around the $280.00 mark.
Would think you maybe able to get $150.00/$200.00.
If the threaded section on the back of the Chuck is not removeable you would probably still get a good price but it may take longer to sell.

stevew
7th September 2010, 01:29 PM
The backing plate is removable,held on by three bolts,once removed any backing plate could be fitted to suit.
The three jaw version sells for $349 at Hare and Forbes,appears the four jaw version was expensive and is very hard to come by now.
Thank you

stevew
8th September 2010, 01:37 PM
Have now listed item on E-Bay
Thank you
Lathe Chuck TOS 125mm 4 Jaw Self Centering Metalwork - eBay, Chucks, Metalworking, Industrial. (end time 18-Sep-10 12:29:17 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lathe-Chuck-TOS-125mm-4-Jaw-Self-Centering-Metalwork-/300465266876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item45f52020bc)