PDA

View Full Version : Enamelled dutch oven

fenderbelly
7th September 2010, 11:58 AM
Has anyone got an enamalled dutch oven that you use in the oven.

I got one for fathers day and am going to cook a small lamb roast with vegies

any hints tips re-cooking times temps and such.
I plan on searing in fry pan first

Woodwould
7th September 2010, 12:24 PM
Enamelled? The one we have is 520 thread-count Egyptian cotton and I wouldn't bring any lamb or vegies within a couple of metres of it!

fenderbelly
7th September 2010, 12:47 PM
Enamelled? The one we have is 520 thread-count Egyptian cotton and I wouldn't bring any lamb or vegies within a couple of metres of it!

Is that a no. :roll:

Woodwould
7th September 2010, 01:45 PM
Is that a no. :roll:
Yes, no.

Manuka Jock
7th September 2010, 02:06 PM
Has anyone got an enamalled dutch oven that you use in the oven.

I got one for fathers day and am going to cook a small lamb roast with vegies

any hints tips re-cooking times temps and such.
I plan on searing in fry pan first
Sear in the Dutch oven , why waste the juices .
Preheat the Stove oven well , so the the heat transfers to the D-oven quick smart .
Basically , treat it akin to the way you used a covered roasting dish .
Don't bake /grill it empty , sit in the center of the S-oven and crispin things up ( if needed), with the lid off .

Cooking and baking with one outdoors is a whole different thing .

Buzza
8th September 2010, 12:14 AM
Sear it in the enamelled D.O. and then carefully place a trivet on the bottom of the DO, with the roast on top. Add the veggies during the last half of the cooking, and lift the lid once in while to allow the steam to escape, thus providing a bit of a crunch to the edges of the spuds and meat. The idea of any D.O. is to reduce the clutter of pots and pans during cramped or travelling conditions. Take care with the trivet, and you canactually use a cake rack if you cannot lay hands on a cast trivet. :cool:

ozhunter
8th September 2010, 12:28 AM

LOL and I bet SWMBO hates it

fenderbelly
10th September 2010, 05:52 PM

Because i live alone the 520 thread count one isn't much of an option really.:roll:

Thanks guys for the tips/hints.