PDA

View Full Version : Easy Wood Tools hollower

rsser
7th September 2010, 04:00 PM
For the tool whores and TCT lovers :wink:

Easy Wood Tools - Woodturning Made Easy - Carbide Woodturning Technology - Never sharpen again! : Home (http://easywoodtools.com/)

Cliff Rogers
7th September 2010, 05:27 PM
Looks like Vermec's goose neck. http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/multipurposechiselset.pdf

rsser
7th September 2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah.

Vermec's is a cup cutter IIRC. This is a 'scraper'.

Frank&Earnest
7th September 2010, 05:50 PM
A goose neck shaft with a round cutter is a goose neck shaft with a round cutter. The question is whether the cutter has a lip, like Vermec's and those I imported a few months ago, that many people including myself find a bit less wonderful than the advertising blurbs would suggest, or is flat like the Easy Wood one would appear to be and nobody has yet commented on, AFAIK.

Edited: Ern types faster than I do even with one crooked hand. :D <TABLE style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 3px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

rsser
7th September 2010, 07:05 PM
Sorry Frank.

As posted elsewhere, I'm impressed with the EWT TCT discs that I've played with. Polished bevel. Great finish. Jefferson has also had good results.

But this is somewhat of a different application from the Easy Finisher.

My experience hollowing blind is limited. Have liked the Munro and the Proforme. Both of those effectively give you a kind of bevel to start your cut with and guide you down.

This tool would be like an Oland without the bevel rubbing. Or like a Kelton hollower. One overly energetic movement and kaboom!

But I'm sure that with practice and maybe an attached coathanger or laser guide it'd work fine.

hughie
8th September 2010, 10:43 AM
Interesting stuff Ern, i prefer a lip of sorts so theres cutting over scraping. But theres a place for both.

My gut instinct tells me that the current crop of cup cutters have not been developed to their full potential.

I am playing around with a few different ideas and its looking promising. As I see it the aim is to get rid of the characteristic chatter that seems to dog this cutter when it has no guard like a Munro.

Frank&Earnest
8th September 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks Ern. A round nose scraper is a very useful tool and one that does not need sharpening is certainly worth having. I see also Hughie's point that cutting instead of scraping would be better, if it is practical and not too difficult to manage. I have not got around to test properly the hollowers (straight and goose neck) I made with the lipped cutters, maybe soon...

TTIT
8th September 2010, 12:36 PM
...........This tool would be like an Oland without the bevel rubbing. Or like a Kelton hollower. One overly energetic movement and kaboom!

But I'm sure that with practice and maybe an attached coathanger or laser guide it'd work fine.I tend to agree with Ern - would make for some serious undie-filling experiences :o:C - I'll stick to my Proformes thanks! :;

hughie
8th September 2010, 01:00 PM
tend to agree with Ern - would make for some serious undie-filling experiences :o:C - I'll stick to my Proformes thanks!

Yes I have a few from memory that are indelibly engraved on the memory. :U

rsser
8th September 2010, 02:33 PM
But engraving undies is something everyone should do once or twice before they die :D

Frank&Earnest
8th September 2010, 04:01 PM
But engraving undies is something everyone should do once or twice before they die :D

I had my once with a chainsaw. I am not particularly looking for a twice. :D

texx
8th September 2010, 07:18 PM
i had my once about 12 times i think , one the best was an axe and 65 stitches in my leg , then there was the time i was cutting a 45kg gas bottle with a 9 inch angle grinder i won't go into details on that one ,could go on but i would get writers cramp ,
and i am not accident prone i just live on the edge a lot :o:o:o
i had a nasty catch yesterday i am turning a very dry old chuck of cypress pine root ball amazing grain in this but terrible cranky to turn best thing i have for the job is my 30 year old and starting to get a bit short 5/8 super flute .
i need to get some more tools for my bowl work and i hate traditional scrapers and cant use them properly .
oh yeah when the wheel on an 8 inch bench grinder decided to leave the grinder in 3 pieces and exit past my head an through a corry tin wall that was close to needing a change of undies that day .
if you could buy only one tool for bowl doing the inside of a bowl what would you buy.

Jim Carroll
8th September 2010, 07:27 PM
if you could buy only one tool for bowl doing the inside of a bowl what would you buy.

A bowl gouge :rolleyes:

texx
8th September 2010, 07:34 PM
well thats what i have jim so i will just keep going the old fashioned way.

Frank&Earnest
8th September 2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER- 1px inset; BORDER- 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by texx http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/button2/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/easy-wood-tools-hollower-123636/#post1206847)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
A bowl gouge :rolleyes:<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
_

Ahem... Evidence, please? :rolleyes:

Frank&Earnest
9th September 2010, 11:33 AM
OK, Jim did not take the bait. :)

What I was alluding to is that there are different ways to answer your question.

If you mean " which tool gives me more bang for the money", the answer is "a bowl gouge". Mike Darlow would even tell you which geometry gives you the best returns if you have only one bowl gouge (he recommends a 30 degree bevel and a 75 degree flange angle).

If you mean instead "which tool ensures that I can hollow a bowl if that's all I have got" the answer is "a scraper", because there are situations where it is impossible to present a cutting tool.

Pedantic? Well....:D

texx
9th September 2010, 11:44 AM
scrapers and me do not get on , gouges and skews i get on with fine but scrapers not so fine i have even made few over the years trying to find one that suits me i have about 10 of em now and they dont see much use at all.

NeilS
9th September 2010, 10:55 PM
if you could buy only one tool for doing the inside of a bowl what would you buy.

For open or slightly undercut bowls my Ellswsorth.