PDA

View Full Version : pepper mechanism

dale grible
19th October 2004, 07:22 AM
i'm stuck here....

i cant decide between

-chef specialties ( voted number one by a magazine....kook's "something")
-trudeau (i'm not crazy about ceramic...but..does it do the job??)
-the one's from lee valley (really expenssive)
-jacques coulomb..(very expenssive too)
-peugeot (the best mechanism.......can't find them anywhere......so if you know where i can get them , please tell me.

rsser
19th October 2004, 09:21 AM
Dale: this question might best be put to the rec.crafts.woodturning newsgroup; that is after you've searched it with Google ;-}

dale grible
19th October 2004, 09:58 AM
yes i know but......it's i cant decide witch one to take!?!

and as for peugeot....i tried google and all......only able to get the pepper mill , and not the mechanism......i've looked everywhere!!!

what or where is "the rec . craft woodturning news group"??

rsser
19th October 2004, 12:47 PM
Dale, it's been a while since I looked at our market for grinder mechanisms, but none of those ring a bell here in Australia. Lee Valley I know of from US newsgroups.

I've heard good things said about the ceramic mechansims from www.thewoodsmith.com.au

rec.crafts.woodturning is a public newsgroup. You need to have a news reader installed on your machine (eg. Outlook express, but there are plenty of others available free), search for it from within the reader and then subscribe. Messages will then be downloaded and whenever you click on it in your reader.

Alternatively go to the Google homepage, find 'search newsgroups', insert your search terms and this newsgroup name, and you'll get enough returns to keep you reading to your heart's content ;-}

DanP
19th October 2004, 03:31 PM
Ern,

I can't seem to get myself on to this rec.crafts.woodturning thing. Can you give me a step by step. Speak slow, you're dealing with a CPU spastic. Thanks,

Dan

rsser
19th October 2004, 06:20 PM
What've you tried so far Dan?

westpest
20th October 2004, 12:43 AM
DanP
Try this link, just copy it into your browser or click it

DanF

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=rec.crafts.woodturning

DanP
24th October 2004, 07:01 PM
What've you tried so far Dan?

Don't really know, stuffed around in outlook trying to figure it out and set up a new account, but whatever I put in came up invalid. Even if you could give me the correct name for the account to put in, I could bumble my way through the rest.

Dan

rsser
25th October 2004, 09:31 AM
Are you wrestling with Outlook, or Outlook Express? Only express has the newsreader.

Which ISP are you with?

The following works in Vers 6 of Outlook Express:

Go to Tools
select Accounts
select Add, then News
enter a Display Name,
enter an email address (this will be visible and so a target for spam so setting up a new free email account eg.with Hotmail is a good idea)
enter your ISP news server name (eg. if your ISP website name is www.ISPname.com.au then its likely that the news server name will be news.ISPname.com.au - but if in doubt contact your ISP; eg. my ISP is a national provider and has a victorian newsgroup server called news.vic.westnet.com.au)
Then click Finish

You should then get an opening screen with an option to 'Subscribe to Newsgroups'
Click on this and your are into the subscription window. The left pane should list your news server name.
In the window entitled 'Display newsgroups which contain ...' enter woodturning. The newsgroup name should show up in the window under that. Highlight it, click Subsribe, then click OK.

rec.crafts.woodturning should then appear in the left pane of your display screen, just double click it to download postings.

If you're using another reader the guts of the work is the same:
it will need a user name, sometimes an email address, a news server name, and then it will have a way of allowing you to search for newsgroups, subscribe to them and retrieve posts from them.

Ern

DanP
25th October 2004, 06:28 PM
Tried all that. Apparently my ISP (vtown) doesn't have any newsgroups. When it searches it just comes up none found.

Dan

rsser
25th October 2004, 06:37 PM
Think you need to talk to your ISP.

I know some organisations block access to newsgroups on their networks (so staff don't waste time when they should be working!); maybe newsgroups aren't part of your deal with vtown in which case it may be worth changing ISPs.

Sprog
25th October 2004, 06:44 PM
Tried all that. Apparently my ISP (vtown) doesn't have any newsgroups. When it searches it just comes up none found.

Dan

Vtown recently merged with iinet so you should have access to newsgroups.
Email them and ask [email protected]

DanP
25th October 2004, 10:22 PM
Think you need to talk to your ISP.

Will do.

it may be worth changing ISPs.

Can't. Stuck on a contract that came with the PC.

Vtown recently merged with iinet so you should have access to newsgroups.

They have merged but the changeover will not be till God knows when. :rolleyes:

Dan

rsser
26th October 2004, 08:16 AM
Well you can still read the posts to that newsgroup by following Westpest's instructions above.

Edit:

Here is an alternative, and I'm quoting from my computer whizz kid son ...

Register here (and it may take a few weeks):
http://news.individual.net/
Still works fine as far as I know, needs registration with a valid email, but you don't need to use a valid email when posting to newsgroups. Worth noting!

DanP
27th October 2004, 11:06 AM
Thanks Ern,

Got an email back from vtown. I needed to change some of the settings in OE so that I could log on with a password. It wouldn't get the groups without the password but it wouldn't prompt me for one???

Dan

Little Festo
28th October 2004, 10:01 AM
Have you seen the "crush grind" brand. they are a ceramic mechanisum that is really good, able to gring coffee beans - I think that's on their brochure. Try a search on this forum or on Google.

Peter

Woodencrux
28th October 2004, 09:36 PM
I have seen the Crushgrind mechanism and it appears very good. It is very adjustable. You can examine it, in modest detail, at www.peppergrinders.co.uk. Note that this mechanism requires that a groove be cut within both the "lid/handle" and "body" as the mechanism snaps into place rather than being held in by screws and a screw button on top of the mill. This really requires a special tool to be manufactured and also that you work out the location relevant to the design of the mill you are making.
Regards,
Alan

Little Festo
29th October 2004, 09:30 AM
Don't know if this will work but i've tried to attach this PDF file re making the crushgrind mill.

Peter

Woodencrux
29th October 2004, 11:59 AM
Thank you. The pdf attachment worked. Don't you love how some instructions seem to freely swap between metric and imperial units!
I have seen an Allen key ground to the necessary size for cutting the recesses necessary to secure this mechanism. Probably all that is necessary unless you are planning to make a lot of grinders.
Regards,
Alan