PDA

View Full Version : Woodcarving tool advice needed

Murel
19th October 2004, 03:57 PM
Hi folks! I'm new to working with wood and I need some simple advice. I'm trying to get into carving mainly, in particular detail work (figures etc). I need a tool which will help me cut larger blocks of wood into smaller blanks, as well as to do some rough shaping to save wear and tear on my knife and gouges. The most I'll need to cut through would be 3-4 inches. I don't have much money and I live in an apartment, so I'd definitely like to avoid anything bulky like a bandsaw, even a tabletop model. I've tried using a coping saw but it takes too long, and there's no way I'll be able to do shaping with it since it takes so much work to just get it through the wood.

Any suggestions? I was considering a carpenter saw, or one of those bigger pullsaws. I also saw some electric handsaws, but not I'm not sure the blades are long enough on those. What I'd love would be something like an electric handheld coping saw, if such a thing existed.

Sorry for the silly questions, any advice is appreciated. :)

Murel
21st October 2004, 08:14 AM
For those who may ask this question in the future, I bought a Japanese ryoba saw (looks like an oar, cuts on the pull stroke) and I'm happy with it.

multinut
21st October 2004, 11:00 PM
Murel
a bloke at work today had a ryobi side mount saw that looked pretty nifty
it has a detachable table that can cut at angles
it was like an angle grinder with a gentlemans saw attached to one side
the bloke said it was good for cutting the bottom of architraves off when laying flooring and with the table he makes picture frames

cheers
multinut
:) :) :)

schaf
22nd October 2004, 09:53 PM
Buy a bandsaw. Any size any shape. The best investment you will make.
Enjoy your woodcarving.
Regards Schaf