PDA

View Full Version : Speed cut

Tiger
11th September 2010, 03:50 PM
Someone here mentioned Glenn Lucas and I've watched this clip YouTube - Turning a spinning top - Glenn Lucas Ireland a few times but I can't work out how he makes the cut 3 to 5 secs into the clip. It looks a little like a peeling cut and in one go he shapes the bottom of the top. Could someone please explain what sort of cut that is and how it is made?

wood hacker
11th September 2010, 09:31 PM
Tiger I'm no expert but it looks to me like he does a peeling cut but at the same time is sliding the shew along so that it shapes the bottom. Of course you could only get away with that at the end of the blank. I think you'd have some issues trying that in the middle.

Paul39
12th September 2010, 02:54 AM
Wow, he is good. If you look at this you see he has had a bit of practice:

YouTube - Glenn Lucas wood turner Ireland - bowl production.

The skew and I have an adversarial relationship, so I can't comment on technique.

Tiger
12th September 2010, 09:41 AM
The cut happens so quickly that it's difficult to see how he does it and how he does it so efficiently.

If you're out there , can you tell us what sort of cut that is?

By the way, the whole top takes around 25 secs to make, I've never heard of anyone being able to make one that quickly.

Allen Neighbors
12th September 2010, 10:27 AM
I could only dream of being that good with a skew....

Durdge39
12th September 2010, 12:37 PM
He makes the most of using the skew dead flat on its side face so he wont get any catches - he only does a rolling type cut using his narrower skew to true up the handle. Must be good wood and dang sharp skews too. I wonder what sort of sharpening system he uses :? :D

Amazing work.

stuffy
12th September 2010, 01:33 PM
What a great video! :2tsup:

Nice little skill for demonstrators. If you could do that at a market stall it would really get the punters in.

He is just using a peeling cut. With the skew angled away from the end of the blank it will naturally move across at an angle as the cut deepens.

Just one caution for new players, roughing with the skew like that can pick up a long splinter that is speared into your hand with a great deal of force. A couple of nicks with the long point first is a little bit safer.

Best wishes

Steve
:)

RETIRED
12th September 2010, 05:00 PM
What a great video! :2tsup:

Nice little skill for demonstrators. If you could do that at a market stall it would really get the punters in.

He is just using a peeling cut. With the skew angled away from the end of the blank it will naturally move across at an angle as the cut deepens.

Just one caution for new players, roughing with the skew like that can pick up a long splinter that is speared into your hand with a great deal of force. A couple of nicks with the long point first is a little bit safer.

Best wishes

Steve
:)Stuffy has it right. A peeling cut with the cutting edge aligned with the bed will cut this way.

At a little club comp once I turned a top in 11 secs dead.:D

Tiger
12th September 2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks , Stuffy et al for explaining what sort of cut that was, I haven't seen that much. Are there any traps or things to consider when using this cut? If the cutting angle is aligned with the bed wouldn't the skew behave in a normal peeling behaviour and therefore cut a tenon rather than an angled cut?

, when you did the top in 11 secs did you use the Skew entirely and if so how did you rough the shaft of the top so quickly as that seems to be the most time-consuming part?

RETIRED
12th September 2010, 09:45 PM
I actually used a bowl gouge that is swept back a fair way.

Tiger
13th September 2010, 12:09 AM
, I tried this angled peeling cut with limited success, cutting toward the headstock was a little easier but when I tried it cutting toward the tailstock end I kept getting catches more so with the 1inch skew rather than the 1/2 inch skew. Is there anything special you need to do in order to get this cut to work?

RETIRED
13th September 2010, 08:10 AM
What sort of timber?

He is using a very close grained, medium density timber in the video.

Tiger
13th September 2010, 10:30 AM
I was just using some 40 mm diameter radiata pine, fairly straight-grained.

RETIRED
13th September 2010, 10:35 AM
It would be easier if you came down here and I showed you.:D

Frank&Earnest
13th September 2010, 10:50 AM
Stuffy has it right. A peeling cut with the cutting edge aligned with the bed will cut this way.

... and here is the difference between work and leisure. Would you boast about having 11 seconds sex? :D:D

Tiger
13th September 2010, 11:20 AM
It would be easier if you came down here and I showed you.:D

Can you let me know what times suit you please? I'm close to getting this cut worked out, just to need to know what part of the chisel to use and how to finish the cut so that the skew doesn't get caught and dig-in.

brendan stemp
13th September 2010, 01:21 PM

Did that include sanding?:D

brendan stemp
13th September 2010, 01:22 PM
... and here is the difference between work and leisure. Would you boast about having 11 seconds sex? :D:D

Some of us might!!!:D

RETIRED
13th September 2010, 01:39 PM
Can you let me know what times suit you please? I'm close to getting this cut worked out, just to need to know what part of the chisel to use and how to finish the cut so that the skew doesn't get caught and dig-in.Any time during the day. This arvo if you like.

RETIRED
13th September 2010, 01:39 PM
Did that include sanding?:DNope.:D

Sturdee
13th September 2010, 01:42 PM
Some of us might!!!:D

I definitely would for it would be a medical miracle. :D

Peter.

Ps. Those parts were cut out as part of my cancer treatment.

Tiger
13th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Any time during the day. This arvo if you like.

Love to come down but stuck at work with my "good clothes" on. I will arrange a time with you in the near future, thanks.

Tiger
21st September 2010, 12:17 PM
After slowing the clip down a couple of times I could see what Glenn was doing and with a little practice I managed to make this cut, not hard when you use the correct part of the skew. , 11 secs is a pretty fair effort for a top, don't think anyone's coming near you with that time...but how quick can you do with just a skew?

RETIRED
21st September 2010, 01:17 PM
After slowing the clip down a couple of times I could see what Glenn was doing and with a little practice I managed to make this cut, not hard when you use the correct part of the skew. , 11 secs is a pretty fair effort for a top, don't think anyone's coming near you with that time...but how quick can you do with just a skew?Dunno, might have to try.:D

RETIRED
21st September 2010, 05:15 PM
26 seconds with the skew, still 11 seconds with a gouge .

stuffy
21st September 2010, 06:11 PM
Thats quick !:2tsup:

Did you turn them in same orientation as the video, or with the stem facing the tailstock?

also what diameter approx.?

RETIRED
21st September 2010, 06:45 PM
Same as video, it is the only way to get a nice point on the bottom. 45mm stock. We used to turn hundreds of the things from the offcuts of balusters.

Avery
21st September 2010, 08:06 PM

Yes !!

Tiger
21st September 2010, 09:23 PM
26 seconds with the skew, still 11 seconds with a gouge .

Pretty quick, but I'm closing in on ya! Another 10 years of practice and I'll catch you. Best I've been able to do with just the skew chisel is 40 secs and that required both the 1 inch and the 1/2 inch chisels.

bookend
22nd September 2010, 12:19 AM

Yes and if it was 11 seconds with Jessica Alba,you guys would boast if someone let you watch.

Grumpy John
22nd September 2010, 05:16 AM
Stuffy has it right. A peeling cut with the cutting edge aligned with the bed will cut this way.

In that case you should change your user name to Lazarus :p.