PDA

View Full Version : workbench

Teresa
20th October 2004, 09:51 AM
Hi Guys

Just found your site. Love all the pics. Just made this bench now I can start making other stuff.

Wongo
20th October 2004, 09:59 AM
Welcome,

Wow, great stuff. :) It is beautiful. Is it another one from Fine Woodworking winter issue 2003?

Gumby
20th October 2004, 10:00 AM
You're not really going to make stuff on that bench are you? It's way too nice :D

Wood Borer
20th October 2004, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the Bulletin Board.

Lovely job, I like the handcut dovetails.

namtrak
20th October 2004, 10:49 AM
From what I can see, like any committed wordworker - the lawn needs a mow, could probably do with some fertiliser as well, the trees need a good pruning, the pagola is badly overgrown and looks like it needs a lick of paint, the bub looks like he needs a nappy change, the boxing bag seems like its never been used, the block and tackle looks like its rusted over. No wonder the workbench is a work of art!!

:cool:

HappyHammer
20th October 2004, 10:56 AM
Very nice, welcome to the board...

HH.

Scally
20th October 2004, 11:14 AM
Teresa
ignore the jibes, they are just jealous, and so they should be.
It looks so solid and flat and beatifully put together. You would never want to leave the workshop.

I should be fantastic to use, a great workbench.

Did you use a local native timber?
robert

lyctus
20th October 2004, 11:44 AM
Teresa,
Beautiful bench. I notice that you used a standard woodworkers vice for the front vice. Good move. When I built my bench I made a vice from a bench screw, fabricating the jaw from a laminated timber piece, and it is the one regret I have about my bench. The end vice so made is fine, but I wish I had used a manufactured woodworkers vice like you did for the front vice.
Geoff

StockyLil'Ozzy
20th October 2004, 04:02 PM
wow what a great bench, the braced pedastal base will be solid as a rock.

johna
20th October 2004, 04:12 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous. I wouldn't dare do any work on it though

TassieKiwi
20th October 2004, 05:38 PM
Verrry nice - i know how much work that was - I've not long finished mine (check out the pix) - yours is much more refined. I like it! What are the timbers?

Take no notice of all of those mollycoddlers - my 31/2yo daughter successfull put the first dings in mine - wasn't so bad after that.
Have you not been brave enough to do the dog holes yet?

Welcome to the BB - lots of knowledgeable and generous people here.

Den

Teresa
21st October 2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the great welcome, no offence taken. The bench did come from FINE woodworking. The timber is Rose Gum (flooded gum) and it's been finished in organoil. I'm still too chicken to put in dog holes though I would really love them.

Teresa

TassieKiwi
21st October 2004, 05:52 PM
Do a search on dog holes - I did mine by hand with a sharp auger

Look here
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/search.php?searchid=119900

ryanarcher
24th October 2004, 04:11 PM
Absolutely woderful job teresa! you've created an heirloom quality tool that you'll enjoy handing down to the next generation, not to mention working on! your attention to detail shows in the joinery. did you cut the dovetails by hand? I definately recomend installing a tail vise. you'll never look back.
great job!
-ryan

Teresa
25th October 2004, 07:16 AM
Ryan I did cut the dovetails by hand. The end of the bench is set up so that I can add the tail vise when I have the money to buy one.

Teresa

reeves
2nd November 2004, 03:33 PM
very nice work Teresa shame to skuff it all up...