PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Woodfast Question

Paul39
12th September 2010, 02:26 AM
I roughed a bowl on my new to me 1995 Woodfast M410 with 1.5 HP Leeson DC motor with variable speed controller. The VS looks to be a later modification. It is set up for 230 V AC.

I had a half dry chunk of walnut, roughed out with a chain saw with corners protruding.

When the motor is under power, the controller, mounted on the inside back of the cabinet makes a constant buzz. If I am on a higher setting and turn it down, the buzz stops until the motor slows, then the buzz resumes. When I shut off the lathe the buzz stops, and the motor coasts to a stop. From this I assume that if the motor is running faster than the set speed of the controller, it is coasting.

In the slowest pulley position with 50 to 100 % power, in an interrupted cut, if I took too big a bite with the tool the buzz would hesitate, at times if I would catch a large protrusion the buzz would stop and the motor turn off. When I pushed the start button it would restart as usual. Sometimes after cutting a series of protrusions, the motor would slow and sometimes stop even if I stopped cutting.

As the blank got more rounded and I moved to the second and third step at 100% the hesitation of the controller and stopping of the motor got less and less and stopped.

I flattened the bottom of the blank and turned it around on the faceplate off center to better use the blank. While turning the outside back to round, the gradual bump, bump, did not disturb the controller.

Is this normal behavior for the DC variable drive? It occurred to me that the controller may be set up so that if one has a bad catch the motor shuts down.

There was what appears to me a home made remote on / off switch that I was not using when I first started roughing the bowl. When I plugged it in, the controller dropout seemed to be less. But by that point I was doing less of the interrupted cutting.

The only other variable speed I have used is a constant torque variable frequency drive on my metal lathe. It uses 120 Volt AC single phase and converts it to 120 Volt three phase for a three phase motor. If you have a catch, it pushes the tool out, or breaks the tool, or throws the piece out of the lathe. Or any or all of the previous.

When I got below the split out part of the inside, using the third step of the pulley and 100% power, I could really hog out material using a 1/2 inch bowl gouge with no complaint from the controller.

Any comment by users of DC variable speed lathes, especially of the older Woodfast would be welcome.

Here is a photo of the blank.

Allen Neighbors
12th September 2010, 10:37 AM
Can't help you with any answers about the controller...
But. I kept hearing some bad noises from the motor I mounted on my Little Vicmarc... I blew it out with an airgun, oiled it, and it still made the noise... sounded like a bearing going out at times. Turned out to be all the tools I had stuck in holes on the motor board... rattling. I really felt stupid.

Paul39
12th September 2010, 10:58 AM
Turned out to be all the tools I had stuck in holes on the motor board... rattling. I really felt stupid.

I put a used 1 HP single phase motor in the metal cabinet of a South Bend underdrive lathe in place of a three phase. It made a loud buzzy sound, amplified by the steel cabinet.

I removed it and checked it on the bench, replaced it, still noisy, removed and disassembled it, all good, put it back together and installed it again. Still noisy.

Did some research and found that single phase motors are much noisier than 3 phase.

Ah well..................

RETIRED
12th September 2010, 05:06 PM
Paul. The leeson motor is an addition to the Woodfast by a previous owner.

These people might be able to help if you shoot them an email.LEESON Electric a pioneer in energy efficient motors has expanded its product range in energy efficient electric motors (http://www.leeson.com/)

Paul39
13th September 2010, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the reference, the web site sheds some light on what might be going on.

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="8" class="subsection">Load Curve Data </td> </tr> <tr> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">Output Pwr (HP) </td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">RPM </td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">AMP</td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">Torque (LB-IN)</td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">Eff</td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">Watts</td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">Watts Loss</td> <td style=" 15%; text-align: left;" class="formlable">Volts </td> </tr> <tr class="light"> <td style=" 12">0</td> <td style=" 12">1853</td> <td style=" 12">.5</td> <td style=" 12">0</td> <td style=" 12">0</td> <td style=" 12">0</td> <td style=" 12">84</td> <td style=" 12">180</td> </tr> <tr class="rowdark"> <td style=" 12">1.5</td> <td style=" 12">1724</td> <td style=" 12">7.1</td> <td style=" 12">54</td> <td style=" 12">.865</td> <td style=" 12">1101</td> <td style=" 12">173</td> <td style=" 12">180</td> </tr> <tr class="light"> <td style=" 12">2.7</td> <td style=" 12">1594</td> <td style=" 12">13.7</td> <td style=" 12">108</td> <td style=" 12">.827</td> <td style=" 12">2038</td> <td style=" 12">426</td> <td style=" 12">180</td></tr></tbody></table>
As we add load, which might be a catch big enough to stall the motor, the amp draw goes up.

I have only 30 amps of 120 volt service here. I had a surplus 120 to 240 step up transformer rated at 1 HP, bought "just in case".

I was hot to try the lathe, so ran a 100 ft. #12 wire extension cord to the step up transformer and plugged in the lathe.

I'm sure the voltage drop from the resistance of the 100ft. of wire, combined with the under rated transformer, contributes to the weirdness. It is possible the transformer acted like a choke to limit the amps available to the motor.

After two hours of running while I was doing some aggressive cutting the transformer was only slightly warm, so I think it is adequate to run the lathe.

I suspect when I run a #10 30 amp wire to the shop and install the transformer on the wall, the lathe will behave better. I also have a bank of 220 volt AC capacitors from a mainframe computer power supply I can install between the step up transformer and lathe to supply any transient large amp needs.