PDA

View Full Version : bush fix

texx
12th September 2010, 06:08 PM
going to make some hat stands and the centre colum of them will be around the 6 foot mark in length , i was just going to do them in 2 halves and join them with a tenon but then i decided to do a rough and ready lathe extend job .might need another brace under it yet though.
so here it is , dont know how it will go yet the piece of timber pictured is a 4x4 red cedar 6' foot 7and a half long .might have to knock up some kind of a steady yet not sure .
and yes i know the shed looks like a bomb site but thats about to change in the next week or so because i have to do a very big tidy up to make way for some canoe building .

RETIRED
12th September 2010, 07:10 PM
Gooday Texx.
You will need bracing.

The end needs bracing back to the bottom of the legs.

A brace from the top of the leg to half way down to the "end" brace.

A further diagonal brace from just near the switch to the base of the leg wouldn't hurt either with a brace to the centre of that to the top of the leg.

Racking forces are very strong in turning that length.

I would use 25x25x2 RHS.

See pic.

minus459
12th September 2010, 08:08 PM
At least now I know someone who's shed is as big a mess as mine:brava::yippee:

thanks
undies
:roll:

texx
12th September 2010, 08:40 PM
, i dont understand why i need more bracing in the old section of the lathe its pretty solid its 2x1 rhs (x 3mm i think )and the bed is 2x2 rhs ,but i do rekon i need to brace from the end of the extension back to the bottom of the legs , i was going to do it just never did it yet .
on the shed it is a biggish shed but not enough room to swing a cat at the moment , there are lister engines a half built trailer an almost finished chainsaw mill and a lot of stuff that does not need to be there so next week is big clean up and shift stuff out week , i might take a few before and after shots .
then i start building canoes in there need to make a 16 foot by 2.5 foot bench for that right up the middle of the shed .