PDA

View Full Version : How to cut for pen blanks

ozhunter
13th September 2010, 04:55 PM
Might seem like a dumb question to most, but anyway

I have a slice of the end of a Camphor log that I want to use for pen blanks.

The slice has been taken from the log at an angle.

My question is how do I cut it to get the best effect, direction A or B

I know I should learn these things, but I don't even know the correct terminology

Signed

"Confused in the shed"

munruben
13th September 2010, 05:56 PM
I think it depends on the third dimension of the log. If the log is deep enough for a pen blank then I would cut "A" if the log is not deep enough for a blank, you have no option but to cut "B" but if I am reading it right, that would mean you turning the blank across the end grain. I am assuming your diagram shows the log face on looking at the end grain.

ozhunter
13th September 2010, 06:15 PM
John

I forgot to mention the piece is about inch and a quarter thick. You assumed correctly, it is if you are looking at a log end on, but the log is only 1" 1/4 long. It's times like this I wish I was smarter.

Looking at it now, I don't think it matters which way it's cut, the grain is still going to be the same way when I put it in the lathe.:?

BTW, the others are here to ask dumb questions:-

ozhunter
14th September 2010, 06:59 PM
I took a slice off in direction A last night and turned a couple of pieces to see what happened. The larger one I turned between centres and the other I put a 7mm brass tube in.

Came up pretty good. My photography sux, but the larger one is finished with CA.

The rings go around the circumference of the blank, doesn't look too bad.

The piece of timber has some darker wood in the centre which I will fit into the top of a blank when I cut it to see how it comes out.

Cheers

oz