PDA

View Full Version : Using bar modified for aux oiler for cross cutting

Karl Robbers
16th September 2010, 12:05 AM
Just a query, maybe a stupid one, but here goes.
Has anyone had experience using a bar modified for an auxiliary oiler, such as the granberg aux oiler, (2 holes drilled in bar to allow oil to enter bar groove) for cross cutting where obviously the oiler would not be fitted. I am wondering if the said oil holes allow the oil to flow out prematurely thus decreasing oiling while cross cutting.
I am holding off modifying my bar until I know as I do not want to have to run 2 bars, ie a cross cutting bar and a ripping bar.
All thoughts appreciated.

BobL
16th September 2010, 09:28 AM
Just a query, maybe a stupid one, but here goes.
Has anyone had experience using a bar modified for an auxiliary oiler, such as the granberg aux oiler, (2 holes drilled in bar to allow oil to enter bar groove) for cross cutting where obviously the oiler would not be fitted. I am wondering if the said oil holes allow the oil to flow out prematurely thus decreasing oiling while cross cutting.
I am holding off modifying my bar until I know as I do not want to have to run 2 bars, ie a cross cutting bar and a ripping bar.
All thoughts appreciated.

It won't make much difference. I use all my aux oil modified bars for cross cutting.

Drilling holes in bar for aux oilers on a mill is not necessary - using a bit more oil and a the drip method is just as effective.

Karl Robbers
16th September 2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks BobL, I assume that you mean dripping oil on the chain/bar interface on the bottom (cutting) face of the bar.
I had wondered about that approach to auxiliary oiling.

BobL
16th September 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks BobL, I assume that you mean dripping oil on the chain/bar interface on the bottom (cutting) face of the bar.
I had wondered about that approach to auxiliary oiling.

I have tried them both ways.

Here's a pic of my "thru bar oiler" and "oil drip"oiler on the same bar.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=86177&stc=1&d=1224251889

Here's the amount of oil what I like to see on the bar from the drip oiler on wider wood.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f132/127425d1264031229-another-milling-holiday-noseoil.jpg