PDA

View Full Version : vertical

Qldr
21st October 2004, 10:02 AM
perhaps I should be on the bandsae site but allI attempt to do on the saw is boxes am having trouble getting the blade vertical to the table use a set square get one side of the blade flush but the other side is way out and vice-versa can any one help with some ideas :confused: please Qldr

donpbk
21st October 2004, 02:16 PM
I'm not too sure what you mean by one side and the other- since square on one side of the blade is autimatically square on the other side of the blade. So, assuming that you are working in two planes: tilting the table should be all you need to do to get the band saw blade vertical in the right-left plane. I don't worry too much about the front-back plane because it doesn't seem to affect the functioning of the saw cut. Hope that helps, but if not, try rephrasing the question and we'll give it another go.

Qldr
21st October 2004, 08:40 PM
thanks for your repley Don I meant to say that holding a square on one side of the blade so it is vertical then on the other side it is not it is almost like the table is warped

echnidna
21st October 2004, 08:44 PM
its either the table is warped or the square is out of whack

Qldr
21st October 2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks Bob
I might get a new square first would be a bit cheaper. hope it is not to wet down south
Thanks John

echnidna
21st October 2004, 09:07 PM
John do you know how to check your old square for accuracy?

Qldr
21st October 2004, 09:14 PM
Bob no I dont but it was only a cheap one had in the shop for ages
John

echnidna
21st October 2004, 09:24 PM
Have a look at this site John.
http://www.planchest.co.uk/try_square_-_checking.htm

donpbk
22nd October 2004, 12:34 AM
Guys, if the square were off, it would be off equally as much when measuring one side as the other.
Warped table is more likely, since you say the machine was not a very good one. Take a straight edge and check corner to corner diagonally across the table and see if there is any light coming under the straight edge.

Sprog
24th October 2004, 03:07 AM
Guys, if the square were off, it would be off equally as much when measuring one side as the other..

No, you would be doubling the error if you used an out of square square to set the blade then used the same square on the opposite side of the blade.

_\ /_

donpbk
24th October 2004, 07:21 AM
You are right. What I meant was that if the square was square, then the table had to be off, because the square wouldn't change from one side of the blade to the other. If the square was off it would be the same degree off on either side of the blade (it would be off equally as much)- but it would look a lot different on each side. Error doubled, as you said.
Whew- I'm getting a headache just trying to puzzle it all out!

RETIRED
25th October 2004, 08:33 AM
Have a Bex and a good lie down. :D

ribot
19th November 2004, 05:40 PM
My guess is that the bandsaw is an Asian cheapo and if thats the case I"ll put two bob on the table being warped, if it is you might try making a floating table out of ply or some such material.Then true up the floating table.

Toymaker Len
23rd November 2004, 02:21 PM
surely QLDR means that the saw is square on the left/right axis but not on the back/front axis ?

ribot
25th November 2004, 06:49 PM
Len, I think he means left/right axis only cause I had this problem with a cheaper bandsaw I purchased. I actually ended up taking it back and paying the difference for a Dewalt bandsaw which i have now had for some 15 years odd without complaint.All nice and square and no excessive vibration.

ribot
25th November 2004, 06:52 PM
Sorry , didn't clarify that I actually think that the saw is out of square on the left right axis cause mine was.

erlyrisa
3rd February 2005, 01:34 AM
I have the same problems with my scroll saw.
I replace the table with one that has a mountain in the middle making it easier to cut warped peices of wood, but when it comes to setting the table it is near impossible to get it right.

I found that doing test cuts and checking the squareness of the cut was the only way of approximating the angle the table should be at, sadly it does depend on how I am holding the timber at the blade so not every cut I make is ever going to be the right angle .. excuse the pun