PDA

View Full Version : The Clock revistied

bowl-basher
18th September 2010, 12:14 PM
:D Well It is finished!!!!!!!!
Many thanks for the earlier suggestions and a special thanks to Brendan for the Claret Ash
The finished size is 450 X 450 x40 thick at the edges.. the turned face is 160 in dia and the " numbers" are Claret Ash 10mm for the cardinal numbers and 6 mm for the rest.. the back is hollowed 20mm to lighten the piece up a bit...the timber is Desert Oak and has was hand sanded to 600 and sealed with nitro celluose sealer a further finish with 1200 wet sanded with burnishing oil then 8 coats of WOP rubbed between coats with 000 steel wool.. I particularly like the spalting at the top (Much CA to stablise)
Look foward to your comments
Bowl Basher

Ed Reiss
18th September 2010, 12:19 PM
BB, that is one doozy of a clock and turning...gorgeous!!!! :2tsup:

Manuka Jock
18th September 2010, 01:24 PM
Thats' a brilliant piece Basher .
I like how the simplicity of the clock face highlights the figure in the wood .
cheers :2tsup:

brendan stemp
18th September 2010, 02:41 PM
Well done BB. I'm glad I had some input (albeit very small) because you have done what needed to be done to this clock desigm; ie kept it simple and to let the wood do the talking. A really nice job. Well done.

The only 2 things I would change are the size of the hands and the style. I don't think the hands are compatible and are too small. My thinking is the minute hand should extend to the hour dots so they are a little short at the moment. Secondly, I think the style and colour are wrong for this design. Go simpler and gold/brass. Or make some timber hands. I have done this once before with success. You just need to get some thin wood. I'd be happy to help out if you want some thin Claret Ash. You could even glue some timber hands onto the existing hands but they do need to be thin or otherwise they get too heavy for the mechanism.

Jim Carroll
18th September 2010, 03:15 PM
Tend to agree and disagree with brendan

The minute hand has to be at least the lenght you have for your second hand or even a bit longer, at the moment the hands will look like they are floating in mid air and very hard to make out what the time is.

You have to go for a plain type of hand and it will still have to be dark as the gold may wash out in the back ground.

The problem with the gold hands is when the peice is hanging on the wall it is generally high up and you are sitting low. You get reflection from the lights and this makes it hard to see the gold hands.

Gold hands generally work ok on a dark clock.

A dark veneer timber over the hands may work well

NeilS
18th September 2010, 03:20 PM
I particularly like the spalting at the top

..... me too....:2tsup:

bowl-basher
18th September 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the comments... am sitting here looking at the clock and I think I agree with both Jim and Brendan.... I will visit Carbatec on monday and see if I can get a longer set of hands.. I agree that the should be black I have just tried a set of gold hands and they just get lost in the color of the timber.... Brendan I think that to make a set of wooden hands is beyond my skills and I would not like to risk it
thanks again for the imput
Graham

artme
18th September 2010, 06:22 PM
Beautiful BB!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think the photos have not done it justice due to the reflection.

thumb trimmer
18th September 2010, 09:56 PM
Rippa job Graham. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I love the orientation you've chosen for the blank and the inlaid 'numbers'. An excellent finish.

TT

bowl-basher
20th September 2010, 05:42 PM
Hi All
Thanks Brendan and Jim for the comment on the length of the hands....`
I fitted a new set today and you are spot on a new pic is below
Thanks again

wheelinround
20th September 2010, 07:07 PM
Now thats better.:2tsup:

munruben
20th September 2010, 09:14 PM
Really nice. :2tsup::2tsup:

Brisruss
20th September 2010, 09:45 PM
That makes it even better. Top work!:2tsup::2tsup:

Allen Neighbors
21st September 2010, 10:07 AM
Gorgeous clock!! I like the look of the new hands better, also! Well done... has a rich look to the finish!