PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Box

Nai84
18th September 2010, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys

I have made another box out of that pine I got from work, I have left all natural and I added some wire inlays aswell to add some sweetness to it I have not yet finished as I am Working on a Jarrah knob for it. The knob is being done buy inside out turning when its is finished I will post the final product :D

Cheers Nai84

Nai84
19th September 2010, 02:26 AM
Hi Guys

So i finished the knob for my box but it didnt go to plan while turning my inside out knob and nearly done it flew apart:((:oo: &*^%$&* and so i went back to lathe and done another knob but its not inside out :( but it still worked out in the end and hear is the finished peice :D what do you think

Cheers Nai84:2tsup:

wheelinround
19th September 2010, 10:04 AM
Shame about the finial new one looks a bit bulky but still a good job like the Box and its inlay well done.:2tsup:

Peter36
19th September 2010, 11:14 AM
S'cuse my ignorance. But what is an inside out knob?

Nai84
19th September 2010, 01:41 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks wheelinround, I think your right bout the knob :doh: I might see if I can get it off and try a different one maybe a bit shaped like the box :? what do thnik bout that

Hi Peter36

I was doing a knob and it was being done buy inside out turning and i broke it :(( so I have done just a plain one this link will explain everything bout inside out turning :2tsup: http://www.ptwoodturners.org/Tips%20and%20Handouts/INSIDE-OUT.pdf and this one Inside-Out Ornament by James D. Thompson - Traditional Woodworking Tools Internet Magazine - Their History and Use - wkFineTools.com (http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/jThompson/carving/insideOutOrnam/insideOutOrnam1.asp)

Cheers Nai84

Ad de Crom
19th September 2010, 07:16 PM
Hi Nai, the box looks pretty good, but spend more time on making finials.
It belongs to the learning curve. A good looking finial is the crown on your work (work piece) Keep an eye on proportions...
Ad :2tsup:

Nai84
19th September 2010, 07:59 PM
Hi Ad

Thanks I glad you like the box as for the crown I am working another one and I hope it will do the peice justice :2tsup:

Cheers Nai84

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2010, 09:38 PM
interesting piece of work:2tsup:
I agree the knob is a little too bulky for the box

Nai84
19th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Sawdust Maker

Thanks, I am going to make a heap of box to sell as I have some people that are interested so most of them will just be boxes but a couple will have knobs do have any advice of suggestion on the whole box thing :2tsup:

Cheers Nai84

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2010, 12:09 PM
can't advise on boxes as I've only done the one
there are more planned ...

if you look in the woodturning challenge threads we had a box off last year - there are some wips to assist - Tea Lady did some great finials

Nai84
20th September 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Sawdust Maker

Thanks I will have a look at that and maybe its will shed some more light on the subject. Tea lady hey I will pm her and she if she has any advice once again many thanks :D:D

Cheer Nai84

tea lady
20th September 2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Sawdust Maker

Thanks I will have a look at that and maybe its will shed some more light on the subject. Tea lady hey I will pm her and she if she has any advice once again many thanks :D:D

Cheer Nai84Jeez! I'm an expert now? Not quite sure about that? :C My advice? Practice, practice, practice.:cool: And try and watch as many experienced people working as you can. Did I mention practice? :D (And the knob is a bit on the chunky side to my eyes too. :CThe inlay is an interesting touch. Just keep making them. No telling what they will develope into.:cool: ).

Nai84
21st September 2010, 11:51 PM
Jeez! I'm an expert now? Not quite sure about that? :C My advice? Practice, practice, practice.:cool: And try and watch as many experienced people working as you can. Did I mention practice? :D (And the knob is a bit on the chunky side to my eyes too. :CThe inlay is an interesting touch. Just keep making them. No telling what they will develope into.:cool: ).

Hi Tea Lady

Well you where mentioned LOL :D Thankyou Tea Lady for the insite to an expert LOL:D I will practice heaps :p and as for the knob it has been removed and I am working on another one an I hope it will make the box stand out. I have also made these one as pics are attached what do you think:2tsup:

tea lady
22nd September 2010, 09:13 AM
That one looks quite nice. :cool: Is it stained pine?

:pi: Just noticed that the first box has the grain going cross ways not end grain. Technically that makes it a lidded bowl for some reason. :shrug: There are some pedants around here that worry about such things.:rolleyes: For boxes with more of a stem on the base it works better to have the grain going up and down. The stem doesn't break then, when it gets thinner. If you do try doing an "end grain" box, just remember that you have to turn "down the grain", so hollowing has to happen from the middle towards the rim using a spindle gouge or detail gouge. Or maybe a scraper. what ever tool you use, avoid the outside corner of the tool touching the wall as you come across the bottom of the box.(Clear as mud I guess. :doh: Prolly a you tube video somewhere of ssomeone doing it. :think: )

:)

Sawdust Maker
22nd September 2010, 10:46 AM
Hey TL I thought you were going to change your name to ... Finial Lady :D

Rum Pig
22nd September 2010, 11:04 AM
I like your box's
The first is a little chunky but to me that just makes it practical.
The only thing that I noticed is you have two inlays, half way and bottom third to me this looks like one is missing from the top third. I would put one where the lid joins this would also hide the joint.

Well done :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
22nd September 2010, 04:56 PM
Hey TL I thought you were going to change your name to ... Finial Lady :DNaaaaaah! I still make more cups of tea than finials.:D

Nai84
22nd September 2010, 09:17 PM
Hey Tea Lady

Thanks for the feed back I will take it all in and use it to the best of my abilities and the boxes are made for jarrah.:2tsup:

Hi Sawdust Maker

Thanks that sounds like a good idea bout the wire inlay I might give it a go :D

Cheers Nai84:2tsup: