PDA

View Full Version : More Lathe Time - The Countdown!

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2010, 04:28 PM
After 36 years in gainful employment I have found the exit and I plan to use it :p

In a little less then seven weeks I hand in the keys to the executive toilet and enter the joys of life in a different working environment :D THE SHED! :D

I plan on spending a lot of time turning big bits of timber into smaller round bits of timber, hopefully to a size and shape I, and others, find asthetically pleasing.

But first I plan on running power around the shed and getting the sparky to connect it up!
Then I might even give it a little tidy up and a bit of a reorganisation!

Then I'll attack the ever lengthening list of must do tasks around the house, starting with a front gate and a bookcase for my eldest lad.

To say I'm looking forward to this change in my work/life balance is an understatement :roll:

Yippee

wheelinround
19th September 2010, 04:40 PM
I think the order should be

Have GtG so fellow woodies can relieve you of some of that excess wood

Clean up so sparky can gain entrance unless of course by around the shed you mean on the outside.

Nick good to see you have Sue's favourite mode of transport handy :U ( I don't believe she is like what you said at all) also good for a quick sweep up when she visits the shed.

The Forum cap hanging ready to bare witness to being an avid forumite.

The pick up tool shows your getting older and have trouble bending to pick up dropped items. Magnetic one is worth it :;

bowl-basher
19th September 2010, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Nick as one that handed in his keys on the 26th of march this year I know the feeling well ...... but I caution you that time contracts and you will have less time for all the good things than you think and after a month or so you will wonder how you found time to go to work.:?:?...... but the main thing is ENJOY
Regards
Bowl Basher

artme
19th September 2010, 06:57 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Nick as one that handed in his keys on the 26th of march this year I know the feeling well ...... but I caution you that time contracts and you will have less time for all the good things than you think and after a month or so you will wonder how you found time to go to work.:?:?...... but the main thing is ENJOY
Regards
Bowl Basher

No truer words have evr been spoken BB!!

We arrived home from Brasil and the only thing I've done in the shed is to look for tools so I can do non-me stuphph!!:C:C

Ad de Crom
19th September 2010, 07:07 PM
Nick, am almost 10 years at home, and still ask me every day, why am I ever going to work, herd animal behavior ??
It's very common to start first with jobs around-and inside the house, to keep the lady of the house in a satisfied mood, before you unnoticed sneak in the shop.
That's the way how it works. Simply it's a step by step procedure, untill everyone find it very normal that you live in an other place, yes your own kingdom.
Have fun, don't forget to clean up first.
Ad :2tsup:

NCArcher
19th September 2010, 07:48 PM
I wish, I wish, I wish .........damn, still have to go to work tomorrow.
Good luck SM. I'm not that far away from permanent shed time. If i could manage it tomorrow i would. I am extremely envious.

Sawdust Maker
19th September 2010, 09:33 PM
I think the order should be

Have GtG so fellow woodies can relieve you of some of that excess wood - there's no such thing a excess wood - I'm sure that is some sort of code violiation!

Clean up so sparky can gain entrance unless of course by around the shed you mean on the outside. The sparky looked at the shed the other week and said that I'd make the men's shed blokes jealous - :U he's happy for me to run the cable and for him to do the connecting stuff - anyone need any extension leads?

Nick good to see you have Sue's favourite mode of transport handy :U ( I don't believe she is like what you said at all) also good for a quick sweep up when she visits the shed. have wondered why she calls it a mazda :doh:

The Forum cap hanging ready to bare witness to being an avid forumite. the forum hat lives inside - it's too good to get dusty :o

The pick up tool shows your getting older and have trouble bending to pick up dropped items. Magnetic one is worth it :; The magnetic ones don't pick up that errant piece of sandpaper as it flicks over the back of the lathe

Ray
This is the kit for the chest of drawers to hold my lathe paraphenalia - all collected from the detritus left out for council cleanup. The chest of drawers will be wheelie mounted and is/will be designed to systematiclly store chucks, jaws, spanners, finishes etc

I might do a wip if anyone is interested

I_wanna_Shed
19th September 2010, 09:50 PM
That's great Nick! Time to take it easy and do whatever you want to do! :2tsup:

orificiam
19th September 2010, 10:02 PM
Hi Nick I Know how you feel, the last week will be the longest,
Having been retired now for just over 4 month i can highly recommend it.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony. :wink:

wheelinround
19th September 2010, 11:18 PM
Ray
This is the kit for the chest of drawers to hold my lathe paraphenalia - all collected from the detritus left out for council cleanup. The chest of drawers will be wheelie mounted and is/will be designed to systematiclly store chucks, jaws, spanners, finishes etc

I might do a wip if anyone is interested

Like I scored yesterday I'll post pics tomorrow....Ok its not in the shed but now sitting beside computer desk storage and printed table. As well as a variable height table which will suit possibly the scrollsaw. Neighbour moved out.:U

Ed Reiss
20th September 2010, 11:52 AM
...not sticking around for 40, eh Nick?
can't say I blame you, congrats on the retirement.

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2010, 10:31 PM
...not sticking around for 40, eh Nick?
can't say I blame you, congrats on the retirement.

Thanks all

The 40 had crossed my mind and the govt had changed the super rules in an effort to keep the likes of me in longer, but :shrug:

At the back of my mind is that my father didn't quite make it to 60 and there are a lot of other things I'd like to do - woodturning is just one of them :U

powderpost
20th September 2010, 10:43 PM
Be warned Nick, by an old hand at this caper, retirement is hard work, requiring a holiday every twelve months... :D. Good health for the next 40 years. :)
Jim

wheelinround
21st September 2010, 10:47 AM
Be warned Nick, by an old hand at this caper, retirement is hard work, requiring a holiday every twelve months... :D. Good health for the next 40 years. :)
Jim

Nick he's full of it just look at all the GtG's he's been to of late its a Woodies Holiday he's talking about.

Rum Pig
21st September 2010, 11:43 AM
Your shed already looks tidy to me:D

Dam 30+ years to go before I get full time shed time:doh:

Sawdust Maker
21st September 2010, 11:05 PM
Jim

I'll keep that in mind
might go down to tassie for christmas or the new year then, just to get some practice in.

Nick he's full of it just look at all the GtG's he's been to of late its a Woodies Holiday he's talking about.

Can't think of any problem with a woodies holiday:D

on any holiday I always come back with a couple of samples - Susan says there is no way she'll pay the penalty baggage :doh:

Your shed already looks tidy to mehttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif

Dam 30+ years to go before I get full time shed timehttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/doh.gif

and so it is until I need some bench space

That's sooner then you think - you'd better start planning

Sawdust Maker
24th September 2010, 01:13 PM
Mind, I'm not counting, but
last day of employment in 6 weeks :U

wheelinround
24th September 2010, 06:26 PM
6 weeks to the new boss takes over eh Susan has her list waiting and is adding to it constantly I am sure, then there is the boys list. Somewhere around age 65 you might get reprieve to do what you want.:roll:

Wednesday's could become a woodies day.

Sawdust Maker
27th September 2010, 06:06 PM
6 weeks to the new boss takes over eh Susan has her list waiting and is adding to it constantly I am sure, then there is the boys list. Somewhere around age 65 you might get reprieve to do what you want.:roll:

Wednesday's could become a woodies day.

never ending and ever increasing list of things to do - trouble is that it is in 5 point and I can't read it :p

Wednesday's hmmm - I'll see if I can block them out in the calendar :wink:
Maybe 2nd Wed of the month?

wheelinround
27th September 2010, 06:20 PM
never ending and ever increasing list of things to do - trouble is that it is in 5 point and I can't read it :p

Wednesday's hmmm - I'll see if I can block them out in the calendar :wink:
Maybe 2nd Wed of the month?

Every Wed if you like

Sawdust Maker
1st October 2010, 09:07 PM
Oh lookie lookie another week has passed

5 weeks to go til increased shed time

wheelinround
2nd October 2010, 10:32 AM
I thought you were on annual leave anyway.:U

robyn2839
2nd October 2010, 12:30 PM
Oh lookie lookie another week has passed

5 weeks to go til increased shed time
i wouldnt count on having more shed time just yet, iretired 3 years ago and i reckon i got more time in the shed when i was working,takes a while to adjust to and i have worked out what is one of the biggest thing i miss and that is weekends, might sound stupid but as you will find out is that they were something you really looked forward to ,now that goal is not there anymore,just take it day by day and you will slowly get into a routine like you did when you started work.good luck with your retirement and have a good one .......bob

Sawdust Maker
2nd October 2010, 03:55 PM
I thought you were on annual leave anyway.:U

Am next week - school holidays. But still have three weeks actually in the office :p

Bob, Thanks for the sage words of advice - I think I'll look forward to Mondays - to shunt the boys off to school and get some peace and guiet :o

wheelinround
2nd October 2010, 04:58 PM
Am next week - school holidays. But still have three weeks actually in the office :p

Bob, Thanks for the sage words of advice - I think I'll look forward to Mondays - to shunt the boys off to school and get some peace and guiet :o

Going to be using a treadle lathe Nick :q

Sawdust Maker
2nd October 2010, 08:28 PM
Going to be using a treadle lathe Nick :q

Yup
Sue reckons I need the exercise :((
She's just started eliminating real food from my diet :doh:

Outsider
3rd October 2010, 02:57 AM
I am in a simiar boat.

I am in India working on the Commonwealth Games Broadcast. It is my last gig. I meet SWMBO on the way home and have 2 weeks in Malasia on holiday, then I move from Sydney to Jindabyne and retirement. Boy I'm looking forward to it even though I have to paint both houses during the move.

Good luck and I hope both of us enjoy ourselves.

wheelinround
3rd October 2010, 10:22 AM
I am in a simiar boat.

I am in India working on the Commonwealth Games Broadcast. It is my last gig. I meet SWMBO on the way home and have 2 weeks in Malasia on holiday, then I move from Sydney to Jindabyne and retirement. Boy I'm looking forward to it even though I have to paint both houses during the move.

I'd be scrounging around for some rare Indian woods and other material and tools even its a bit they have to make even a Pen with same in Malaysia. The down Jindy Snowgum turning nice stuff.

wheelinround
3rd October 2010, 10:24 AM
Yup
Sue reckons I need the exercise :((
She's just started eliminating real food from my diet :doh:

No wonder you deleted the photo's I took at the GtG :p living proof.

Susan should be proud of you it was all healthy food she will of course have to come along to be convinced.:U

Sawdust Maker
3rd October 2010, 07:28 PM
I am in a simiar boat.

Brian

Enjoy the games - get some wood

Malaysia - now I'm jealous - careful of the illegally logged stuff
not sure I'd like the prospect of painting at both ends of a house swap :doh:
Jindabyne - would be a nice place to live - enjoy the finishing :2tsup:

and I'm quite happy to enjoy myself if you keep up your end of the bargain :D

Sawdust Maker
3rd October 2010, 07:35 PM
No wonder you deleted the photo's I took at the GtG :p living proof.

Susan should be proud of you it was all healthy food she will of course have to come along to be convinced.:U

no deletions, you're just such a poor photographer (even with decent equipment!) you didn't get me :p

actually there might be one of me in the background with a plate of food, but I assumed that everyone would be more interested in Powder the me :D

Outsider
4th October 2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Wheelin and Sawdust Maker.

Not sure about bringing wood home because of the grief with "Customs".

I know if it dosen't have any holes and if necessary it can be fumigated but for such small quantities it is possibly easier if not much more expensive to go to Trend Timbers.

Sawdust Maker
8th October 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm starting to get nervous ...

hughie
8th October 2010, 04:54 PM
Not sure about bringing wood home because of the grief with "Customs".
Dunno about the East But I have brought timber over from NZ and have a friend who routinely brings in blanks etc from NZ on his annual pilgrimage. I have received timber from the USA in the mail, all with no hassles at all.

Listen Nick at 55something your not gonna enjoy this retirement stuff , yah gonna be bored, might as well tee up a job now. :U

wheelinround
9th October 2010, 09:00 AM
I'm starting to get nervous ...

I can understand that having to explain to Susan why you have been in the shed all day and done nothing will be hard.:q

Ozkaban
9th October 2010, 09:04 AM
Just came across this thread Nick. Congrats on your impending retirement!

She'd looking a bit full there, mate. I'm sure with a couple of days efforts, some cold beers and a lot of effort you could make the whole place much, much worse :D

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
9th October 2010, 07:33 PM
I can understand that having to explain to Susan why you have been in the shed all day and done nothing will be hard.:q

Easy - I'll just say I've been planning the details of her birthday present! (and of course I can't show her!) :U

Just came across this thread Nick. Congrats on your impending retirement!

She'd looking a bit full there, mate. I'm sure with a couple of days efforts, some cold beers and a lot of effort you could make the whole place much, much worse http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Cheers,
Dave

Dave

Where have you been? We haven't seen you for a little while ...
I've got plans for the shed, just not sure how I can get double the equipment in it without Harry Potter's help.
Actually it will get better when I get some of those half finished projects completed. :cool:

Pat
9th October 2010, 07:50 PM

Ray, the shed is a rip in the Time/Space continuum . . . The powers within are beyond the understanding of non shed dwellers.

Good luck Nick, I'm hoping in 16 years time I can do the same thing.:;

wheelinround
10th October 2010, 09:36 AM
Ray, the shed is a rip in the Time/Space continuum . . . The powers within are beyond the understanding of non shed dwellers.

Good luck Nick, I'm hoping in 16 years time I can do the same thing.:;

By then Pat the retirement age will be 80 :U and you'll need a new lathe etc as your will be soooooo old hat.

Sawdust Maker
10th October 2010, 10:28 AM
By then Pat will be complaining that he can't get bearings for the yella terra anymore :no:
You'd better plan ahead an get a dozen or so now, just in case :p

wheelinround
10th October 2010, 06:11 PM
By then Pat will be complaining that he can't get bearings for the yella terra anymore :no:
You'd better plan ahead an get a dozen or so now, just in case :p

No his one win will be at that age that will have finally learnt to Silver solder BS blades.:q

Ozkaban
11th October 2010, 05:01 PM
Dave

Where have you been? We haven't seen you for a little while ...
I've got plans for the shed, just not sure how I can get double the equipment in it without Harry Potter's help.
Actually it will get better when I get some of those half finished projects completed. :cool:

Hi Nick,

Been floating about. New child (now 11 1/2 weeks old!) and new job have conspired to suck available time away from me pretty effectively!

I was actually delighted yesterday - my she floor is now covered in spotted gum shavings! I made my wife a pepper mill last birthday and this year I thought I'd finish off the set with the salt mill, so have finally got some time to turn the lathe one :hpydans:

Haven't finished yet... but there's always tomorrow :D

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
11th October 2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Nick,

Been floating about. New child (now 11 1/2 weeks old!) and new job have conspired to suck available time away from me pretty effectively!

I was actually delighted yesterday - my she floor is now covered in spotted gum shavings! I made my wife a pepper mill last birthday and this year I thought I'd finish off the set with the salt mill, so have finally got some time to turn the lathe one :hpydans:

Haven't finished yet... but there's always tomorrow :D

Cheers,
Dave

:o Why were we not told :~ Congratulations Dave and misses Ozkaban :2tsup: now where's the Announcement in Hatches & Dispatches (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f68/) :; You know Dave with little one @ the lathe Dave with little one playing in sawdust :U

Sawdust Maker
11th October 2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah
I agree with Wheelin'
I knew you were expecting but didn't know when
Congrats to you and the SWMBO
I hope you are taking a lot of photos of your offspring - in the early days I made sure I took at least one a month, they grow and change so much.
Happy shed time, I like your style - over a year to do a pepper and salt combo :2tsup:

Ozkaban
12th October 2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah
I agree with Wheelin'
I knew you were expecting but didn't know when
Congrats to you and the SWMBO
I hope you are taking a lot of photos of your offspring - in the early days I made sure I took at least one a month, they grow and change so much.
Happy shed time, I like your style - over a year to do a pepper and salt combo :2tsup:

*fixed*

Finally posted an announcement. Dunno how to link threads on tapatalk, but that would probably constitute a full thread hijack, as opposed to this partial one :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Oh, upgraded the DSLR recently, so plenty of pics. Photo directory on pc now comfortably over 90GB :doh:

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
15th October 2010, 10:32 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know - only three weeks in the workforce left :D

Ed Reiss
16th October 2010, 12:02 PM
Your gonna' drive yourself nuts counting the days Nick:club:
...perhaps a few cold Vitamim B's would do the trick to help mellow out:D

hughie
16th October 2010, 02:55 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know - only three weeks in the workforce left

.. and so we can now expect to see, " ad unguem factus" yes ?

fletty
16th October 2010, 05:42 PM
COGRATULATIONS DAVE AND Mrs OZKABAN!

OK now Nick, this how it will work,

day 1, the World and life are beautiful, "I have the rest of my 30+ years of retirement so I don't have to start the list TODAY...."
day 12, start the list, need to go to Bunnings, return day 14
day 15, go to Bunnings to get the stuff you forgot
day 20 and onwards, deep into list
day 30 and onwards settle into a good balance between listwork and funwork
day 60, start jobs that you inherit when the family find out you are "available" ... holes in fences ... dog kennel.....
day 90 "where have all my mates gone?" .... go looking
return day 120
day 150, "we have a problem at work, could you possibly come back as a casual for a few months"....
day 200, "Bill or Jill have resigned, retired, got sick, driven to Birdsville could you act for them for a few months?"
day 300 (EQUALS YESTERDAY!!! :hpydans: ), Bill or Jill have been replaced and inducted,
day 301, back to shed, "the World and life are beautiful, I've got 29+ years of retirement I don't have to start the list TODAY...........
fletty

wheelinround
16th October 2010, 06:10 PM
:lolabove:

Then some years down the track new mates seem to appear.........and disappear.......some old mates pop up now and then.

Sawdust Maker
19th October 2010, 08:47 AM
.. and so we can now expect to see, " ad unguem factus" yes ?

The only bit highly polished about me is the couple of fingers behind the polishing cloth when using shellawax or wop :p

Sawdust Maker
19th October 2010, 08:58 AM
Your gonna' drive yourself nuts counting the days Nick:club:
...perhaps a few cold Vitamim B's would do the trick to help mellow out:D

As of last Friday at 5pm I had 1,813,860 seconds left :bgth:

Good idea. I had a couple of Little Creatures (https://www.littlecreatures.com.au/Beers-Category/menu-id-59.html)instead. Always feel a little mellow after a pale ale or two or th... :beer:

Sawdust Maker
22nd October 2010, 10:17 AM
Fortnight to go ....:running:

I've taken Wheelin's advice and organised a gtg for the following week (but I'm hiding my timber stash*)

Fletty
I'm trying to ignore your post
I have this fear that it might just come to pass as you suggest :doh:

but really, I think they will be glad to see the back of me, I've increased the promotional prospects of some of them!

*don't look in the cubby house :no:

rsser
22nd October 2010, 12:42 PM
Congrats Nick.

Freedom from wage slavery is a wonderful thing.

Now you can really start to sweat over the adequacy of the retirement income!

Fletty ... that post is a gem.

Seriously though, work provides a number of things apart from income that's worth thinking about how to replace: time structuring, social relationships, a place and purpose in life. I've seen some guys go downhill fast as they haven't attended to these things.

Sawdust Maker
23rd October 2010, 10:03 PM
Ern, thanks

The points you raise are incredibly important
I think (hope) (believe) I've got them covered

hughie
24th October 2010, 09:31 PM
Yep, Its the three 'B's , you gotta keep the brain and the body busy.

skot
24th October 2010, 10:34 PM
I am envious Sawdust Maker...I am 51 and have been self employed for 26 years but still envisage being in the workforce for another 15 years at least.

I have a list af things I want to accomplish and retirement would be a great time to do it but alas over 5000 days of toil still ahead...:C

HazzaB
24th October 2010, 11:06 PM
Hey Nick,

Like everyone is saying, I am envious as well, Retirement is supposed to be the holiday of all time, when Dad retired he said after a few weeks that he was so busy that he didn't know how he had time to go to work:rolleyes: (before he retired), the list was so long:o

Well done on getting out early and having a plan.:2tsup:

HazzaB

Sawdust Maker
25th October 2010, 07:36 AM
and this week I'm on training - imparting some of what I've learnt during the career
and thurs and fri I'm at Pt Macquarie for son's indoor hockey state comp
so this week isn't really work anyway :)

wheelinround
26th October 2010, 09:05 AM
and this week I'm on training - imparting some of what I've learnt during the career :U That should take all of 5 mins.
and thurs and fri I'm at Pt Macquarie for son's indoor hockey state comp
so this week isn't really work anyway :)

Ah just a short hop to Rowland plains and Mal's timbers and Telegraph Point and Sg's hoard of planes store.:; Not to mention an in land drive to Timbertown and the woodies club there.:2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
26th October 2010, 09:21 AM
I once made a list of all the things I wanted to do
in retirement.

On checking the list I found that none of them could
be done when I am dead.

Therefore, take your time, plan carefully, make every
day count in a meaningful way and above all
ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT. :2tsup:

Allan

Wongo
26th October 2010, 09:41 AM
Nick, I want to be retired at 55 just like you. :D Can I handle another 15 years? :think:

Enjoy.

Ashore
26th October 2010, 11:08 AM
I gave full time work away 15 years ago , 25 tears at sea was long enough. The biggest hurdle was after 3-6 months when you realize that for the first time in your adult life your unemployed and you start to wonder
Will we have enough
Was she always like this
What if this happened
Was she always like this
Whats for tea tomorrow
Was she always like this

and you think about going back to work , not full time but ...........
I did 3 years of that , every part time job turned into a full time one, until I finally said that's enough,
The shed saved me, everyone needs something to do each day , a hobby, alot arn't as lucky as us, they retire and end up sitting in front of a TV or going to the club every day

Enjoy it all Nick , just don't be surprised at how many job offers you get, now that you don't need a job. :rolleyes:

silentC
26th October 2010, 11:20 AM
25 tears at sea was long enough
Freudian slip there, Ashore? :D

Sawdust Maker
29th October 2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks all

The comments are where my thinking is at.
I've things to day and places to be

1st is a visit from

Anyway less then a week to go :D:D:D:D

RETIRED
29th October 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks all

The comments are where my thinking is at.
I've things to day and places to be

1st is a visit from

Anyway less then a week to go :D:D:D:DLooking forward to it.

tea lady
29th October 2010, 09:32 PM
Will we have enough
Was she always like this
What if this happened
Was she always like this
Whats for tea tomorrow
Was she always like this

Its weird isn't it! That the only time you really get to know who you married is when you finnally retire.:doh: What a life we lead!

fletty
30th October 2010, 09:07 AM
day 1, the World and life are beautiful, "I have the rest of my 30+ years of retirement so I don't have to start the list TODAY...."
day 12, start the list, need to go to Bunnings, return day 14
day 15, go to Bunnings to get the stuff you forgot
day 20 and onwards, deep into list
day 30 and onwards settle into a good balance between listwork and funwork
day 60, start jobs that you inherit when the family find out you are "available" ... holes in fences ... dog kennel.....
day 90 "where have all my mates gone?" .... go looking
return day 120
day 150, "we have a problem at work, could you possibly come back as a casual for a few months"....
day 200, "Bill or Jill have resigned, retired, got sick, driven to Birdsville could you act for them for a few months?"
day 300 (EQUALS YESTERDAY!!! :hpydans: ), Bill or Jill have been replaced and inducted,
day 301, back to shed, "the World and life are beautiful, I've got 29+ years of retirement I don't have to start the list TODAY...........
fletty

day 310, "fletty, would you consider returning full time ......."

rsser
30th October 2010, 09:33 AM
LOL.

Yeah, or doing free-lance consulting if your skills allow it, or part-time work. The best thing about retirement is that it gives you the capacity to choose. This client but not that one. This part-time project but not another. Oooh man, is that sweet.

rsser
30th October 2010, 10:04 AM
And just to make an observation ...

There are two kinds of freedom: freedom from and freedom to.

I've seen plenty of folk who were clear about the first. Tree-changers or retirees. Eg. freedom from 9 to 5 drudgery or from suburbia. But not so many are clear about the second.

wheelinround
30th October 2010, 11:24 AM

Thats 2 against one Fletty you loose............shed time relegated to the weekends again. :;

Pat
30th October 2010, 11:40 AM
Fletty, do you want to reprise your role as whipping boy? Ask them for a 1 day a week role @ 100 grand per annum, no direct reports.:;

Nick, you must almost taste the impending freedom to say, "I don't feel like getting up to go to work today, I'll wander down to the shed":U

Sawdust Maker
31st October 2010, 07:27 AM
And just to make an observation ...

There are two kinds of freedom: freedom from and freedom to.

I've seen plenty of folk who were clear about the first. Tree-changers or retirees. Eg. freedom from 9 to 5 drudgery or from suburbia. But not so many are clear about the second.

IMHO, that's a very astute observation
I reckon I agree with the first and make the comment that this is what is on the forefront of most people's minds when when these decisions are made.
I've thought a lot about the second and whilst not free to do everything I want - there are always budgetary and family constraints - I think I've got it covered pretty well and the things I want to do and are happy to do will take up most of my time. At least that's the plan :)

That's not good, How can you be retired and work full time :doh:

wheelinround
6th November 2010, 11:04 AM
So you are now officially a retired old phart Nick. Welcome to the life of shed time and woodwork. :2tsup:

rsser
6th November 2010, 11:26 AM
Congrats Nick.

Welcome to a whole world of 'honey dews' and 'tuits' ;-}

Sawdust Maker
6th November 2010, 08:10 PM
Yep
I've gone
had a great send-off
and had a sore head this morning to prove it

Pat
6th November 2010, 08:38 PM
Yep
I've gone
had a great send-off
and had a sore head this morning to prove it

I thought so. I hope the wife and kids were especially quiet this morning and left you alone to recover your equilibrium in peace and quiet.

orificiam
6th November 2010, 09:27 PM
Congratulations Nick. Welcome to our world of Retirees, A place of Sleeping in if you choose to.:U You've earned it.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup:

wheelinround
6th November 2010, 09:37 PM
:no: No time for resting he's got shed to clean up before arrives, timber to stash away. Past mistakes to hide tools to sharpen.:U

orificiam
6th November 2010, 10:21 PM
:no: No time for resting he's got shed to clean up before arrives, timber to stash away. Past mistakes to hide tools to sharpen.:U

You're not wrong Mate, I've been retired for the past 6 months, Thinking I'd spend more time with the Lathes, I didn;t count on the big list of thing to do SWMO had waiting for me.:doh::doh:
Cheers Tony.:)

Ed Reiss
7th November 2010, 11:59 AM
it's not only the "Honey Do Lists" that eat up quality retired time in the shed. Once your neighbors find out that your home all day doing absolutely nothing, the well meaning buggers want to help occupy your time by letting you help out with thier projects.

Just keep fightin' 'em off with a big stick, Nick!!!!:;:D

DavidG
7th November 2010, 01:27 PM
Don't forget the "Honey... would you go to the shops and get...."
and "Could you prepare dinner for us tonight ....
and "Vacuum the house please....
and ....

Sawdust Maker
7th November 2010, 05:52 PM
I thought so. I hope the wife and kids were especially quiet this morning and left you alone to recover your equilibrium in peace and quiet.

Luckily little aths was cancelled - so I could sleep in :D

Ashore
8th November 2010, 01:39 AM
1st is a visit from

Had one of them .......get the tea ready .....and be ready for the funny look when he notices that your lathe is only used as a face plate sander..............:rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2010, 02:18 PM
Had one of them .......get the tea ready .....and be ready for the funny look when he notices that your lathe is only used as a face plate sander..............:rolleyes:

It's almost worth setting one up so I can see the look :D
but I'd have to sweep under it otherwise he'd be suspicious

wheelinround
8th November 2010, 03:51 PM
It's almost worth setting one up so I can see the look :D
but I'd have to sweep under it otherwise he'd be suspicious

Pen shavings don't make that much mess Nick :q unless it 12 months worth of pen making :U

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2010, 04:34 PM
Pen shavings don't make that much mess Nick :q unless it 12 months worth of pen making :U

Funny bugger
Did a bowl a couple of weeks ago :~ camphor laurel

wheelinround
8th November 2010, 04:36 PM
quick get the dust buster out :q

wheelinround
13th December 2010, 02:06 PM
Well its first weeks yet but it appears Sawdust maker must be deep in sawdust, someone said he was last seen.
Washing
Ironing
Cleaning (not the shed)
running the boys to school ( he drives the boys run beside)
Back home to watch Oprah last seen around the Oprah house this morning :U

hooppine
16th December 2010, 03:23 PM
I have been retired since 1996 and I believed I had everything under control until last month when the floor would not stop moving when I walked on it the Doctor asked if it was a pub floor. To put it nicely the Doctor said I had a lesion on the brain, a cute way of saying a tumour. All gone now but a wake up call. Do it now latter may be too late. I have to have some sort of plan to exit this wood working caper quick and easy. It is also an important part of retiring.:doh:

rsser
16th December 2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, live this day as if it were your last.

(And leave the debts to your survivors :D ).

fletty
18th December 2010, 09:20 PM

day 360, hoping soon to drop to 4 day weeks, my shed is a mess, I am paying SOMEONE ELSE to rebuild my deck, I haven't even had time to buy woodworking tools to put under the christmas tree addressed to me from my daughters....... next week?
fletty

Sawdust Maker
22nd December 2010, 08:54 AM
Fletty, that's not good

Me

Day 47 on hols with the family

It's been a bit like being on holidays so far.
There have been a few of the honeydew jobs
I had a sick aunt over here in hospital for a few weeks (broken hip) that took away a little of my planned time as did a mate from London staying with us while he saved his daughter from a cult (yeah an interesting experience)

I've started rearranging the shed and started running the cable for the sparky. Now it's school holidays I'll get less shed time as I have to keep an almost constant eye on one of the boys. I've done a little turning but haven't got anywhere near the bookcase for my eldest boy, in the new year maybe

wheelinround
22nd December 2010, 09:36 AM
Get the boys involved future woodies we need ............then they can say I helped my dad!! I learned that from my dad.:2tsup: