PDA

View Full Version : Segmented beech lidded bowl

Ad de Crom
20th September 2010, 01:42 AM
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>For now this is my last piece of turning work.
A segmented beech lidded bowl DxH 240x100mm.
Start tomorrow with the staircase project, so goodbye to my lathe for a while, or maybe longer.
Cheers, and thanks for looking.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Peter36
20th September 2010, 11:01 AM
Nice bowl Ad de Crom . A question . Photos 2 & 3 show a thin layer about half way up the lid but this layer does not appear in photo 1. Did you drill a hole right through the blank so that this could be the knob . I like the colour and proportions of the bowl and when SWBO saw it she said "Oooh that's nice":2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
20th September 2010, 11:17 AM
Nice work Ad

Turned balustrades for the stairs sounds good then lathe won't feel neglected.:U

Rum Pig
20th September 2010, 11:27 AM
Very nice well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Manuka Jock
20th September 2010, 11:29 AM
Nicely done Ad , cheers.
I'm looking forward to the photos of the segmented staircase :U

Nice bowl Ad de Crom . A question . Photos 2 & 3 show a thin layer about half way up the lid but this layer does not appear in photo 1. Did you drill a hole right through the blank so that this could be the knob .
Peter ,
count the segment layers in the lid , inside and out

Peter36
20th September 2010, 11:37 AM
Nicely done Ad , cheers.
:U

Peter ,
count the segment layers in the lid , inside and out

Done that . 4 layers . But why would the second layer from the top look much thinner on the inside of the lid than on the outside . You will have to excuse my ignorance as I have not done any turning . It is still something that I would like to do .

Ed Reiss
20th September 2010, 11:43 AM
Nice one, Ad :2tsup:

...hope the lathe dosen't get lonley while your doing the staircase.

Sawdust Maker
20th September 2010, 11:52 AM
Ad
extremely nice bowl :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
20th September 2010, 06:49 PM
Nice bowl Ad de Crom . A question . Photos 2 & 3 show a thin layer about half way up the lid but this layer does not appear in photo 1. Did you drill a hole right through the blank so that this could be the knob . I like the colour and proportions of the bowl and when SWBO saw it she said "Oooh that's nice":2tsup::2tsup:
Peter, you have sharp eyes, I changed the shape of the lid dramatically, from the original plan the shape of the lid was different, so a big part of that segmented ring is hidden between the other segmented rings.
The original plan was an oval lidded bowl, but I got my fingers behind a full metal spindle and other useful stuff for making an improvement on my oval turning device.
I'm always searching for making an improvement on my self made stuff.
Here is the original plan, notice the shape of the lid.
Thanks Peter.

powderpost
20th September 2010, 09:57 PM
Nice work Ad. Changing of the plan, in my book, is to exercise "artistic license". :2tsup:
Jim