PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Sealer

Shuttle
20th September 2010, 07:29 AM
Hi

The slab for my new 6m x 3m shed is down and the frame etc starts this week. Searching thru the posts here seems to suggest that sealing the concrete slab helps to stop stains or at least makes it easier to clean them up.

There is some mention of Berger Jet dry.

Any other suggestions as to what to use for a sealer ?

BC

Wazzbat
20th September 2010, 08:20 AM
I think Crommelins does a good concrete sealer. You can get it from the big "B" but I was just going to use BondCrete when I should have done mine. I would highly recommend sealing by the way. I am regretting not doing mine straight away!

Grumpy John
22nd September 2010, 07:21 PM
Dulux has a two pack concrete paint (also avail at the big B). The kit is just the right amount for a 6 x 3 metre shed. I used it in my shed and it's very durable. I made the mistake of going a bit thin at the start thinking that there would be just enough, ended up having a quarter of the paint left in the can :((.

Wazzbat
23rd September 2010, 10:20 AM
That sounds like the right stuff to use. That's the kind of stuff I see the guys using on the back docks of Woolworths and Coles stores when we're working on them. If they are using it then it must be good. The two part mixes of anything are always really strong!

mimmo_gsr
12th October 2010, 01:28 PM
Another good product out there is made by Concrete Colour Systems and is called CCS Armourthane.

It is also a 2 part epoxy and can be coloured or left clear.

Dulux, Sika and Parchem also make similar products so I would shop around as the prices do vary.

Make sure you get yourself a good quality carbon filtered respirator if you are sealing the concrete in an enclosed space though as the fumes can be very strong.

Best of luck :2tsup:

Mimmo

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 09:36 AM
I went with the Berger Aquatread Jet Dry because the preparation required was a little more convenient than for the other products and brands, and it was a water washup product. I already had walls and linings up (don't do that) so didn't want to be spraying acid everywhere to prep the surface. The Berger went on very well, but I have noticed a few dings here and there already. Just a demonstration how important the preparation is I guess, but I expect it to harden a bit more with time.

One point though - the BAJD is a satin finish which is nice to sweep, but is a bit slipperier than the original concrete. My dogs are still slipping on the stuff when they get excited or chase each other, and if it was wet it would probably be worse. Here you face the compromise - gloss for a surface that's very easy to clean, satin for a bit more grip at the expense of ease of cleaning, or a non-slip surface that will be a pain to sweep.

AUSSIE
19th October 2010, 10:17 AM
or a non-slip surface that will be a pain to sweep.
Better than a pain in the A%^e after slipping on the glossy one:rotfl::roflmao::hpydans:
OK Sorry about that.I couldn't help it--really/:no:

Shuttle
19th October 2010, 05:38 PM
Hi

I have gone down the Crommelins path and used their water based one. I would have preferred the expoxy solution but the walls are up and the aluminium sliding door is in place so washing down with acid is not possible. A couple of coats of the Crommelins sealer seems to work. I splashed some coffee on the floor and it simply wiped up, no stain.

Now for dust collection , dust filter and gyprock ceiling , wall lining , cupboards etc.

Shuttle.

Johncs
9th November 2010, 04:01 AM
I went with the Berger Aquatread Jet Dry because the preparation required was a little more convenient than for the other products and brands, and it was a water washup product. I already had walls and linings up (don't do that) so didn't want to be spraying acid everywhere to prep the surface. The Berger went on very well, but I have noticed a few dings here and there already. Just a demonstration how important the preparation is I guess, but I expect it to harden a bit more with time.

One point though - the BAJD is a satin finish which is nice to sweep, but is a bit slipperier than the original concrete. My dogs are still slipping on the stuff when they get excited or chase each other, and if it was wet it would probably be worse. Here you face the compromise - gloss for a surface that's very easy to clean, satin for a bit more grip at the expense of ease of cleaning, or a non-slip surface that will be a pain to sweep.

There is an antislip additive one can add. Also from Bunnings.

hellspice
10th November 2010, 11:07 PM
hi,
I used a 2 Rustoleum Garge kits to do my new shed floor. I added the non slip stuff and also used the extra flakes. So far its as hard as and looks a treat, wipe up spilt paint oil etc no problems. I used 2 kits (9x6 shed) bought 3 kits but forgot to open the third. The prep took a while as i went the whole hog and used the acid wash (citric) and karcher etc waited a week to dry and then painted. It proabaly the same as the dulux stuff but worked out cheaper buying online.
Cheers