PDA

View Full Version : Steel Driveway Ramp

gtr fan
20th September 2010, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend what type of steel I should use for a driveway ramp (from the garage floor to the start of the driveway incline).

I was thinking of some type of steel plate the length of a single garage draw (or two plates to leave a gap for drainage).

I will use dyna bolts to fasten to the concrete.

Also does anybody know where I would be able to buy suitable steel.

Regards,

Dave J
20th September 2010, 05:03 PM
How far does it have to span or is it just to cover the lip at the edge of the concrete?

Dave

.RC.
20th September 2010, 10:02 PM
I would think something like a strip of 6mm checker plate if it is only a long skinny piece...

opelblues
20th September 2010, 11:13 PM
if you ar useing it to provide traction up and down the driveway, it will be a hard call. why the chance the steel will polish over time and become slipery, look at loader ramps for trucks. tread mesh that they use in walkways could work but may end up with same problem, or what i have seen on a couple of drive ways on steep slopes, they look like buttons spaced out over the drive ( like pok a dots)

gtr fan
20th September 2010, 11:55 PM
I would be about a meter or so in length just to get over a small bump and to the start of the incline.

Not for traction at all and it will be for a car that is rarely used.

pipeclay
21st September 2010, 08:19 AM
Is it in a covered area or open.

I am guessing open as you spoke of drainage.

Would suggest you use 5/6 mm Galvanised Checker plate.

You mention Bolting these down,are they going from Garage floor HEIGHT to Driveway HEIGHT.

Measure the distance from the TOP of the Garage floor to a point where you would like the Ramp or Ramps to finish,this would be the overall length of the Ramp.

You would then have to decide if you require 1 wide Ramp or 2 narrower Ramps.

Once you have decided on what you preffer then you can workout the amount of supports you will require under the Ramps.

Would think that if useing single Ramps each side 3 supports under each but if useing a single Ramp you would require 7 supports,(3 under each side and 1 in the middle).

You maybe able to use Mild steel flate plate for this as well or even Mild steel checker,you could possably get away with thinner material,maybe down to 3mm depending on how much use they will get.

You might find if useing the thinner material you may have to use additional supports underneath.

You may even find that the thinner material is easier to find and get cut,as some of it comes as Flat bar rather than Plate.

Dave J
22nd September 2010, 02:10 AM
If you need an idea of sizes and prices this is a good site
Scott Metals - Fabrication (http://www.scottmetals.com.au/fabrication.html)

Dave

barry240
23rd September 2010, 07:03 PM
I am using standard galvanised C-chan as ramps at the bottom of my driveway up to my shed. dimensions are 2.6mm thick X 150W X3m long. for a couple of years I used with 2 sections welded together at around 300mm(side by side) had no problems as far as carrying the load of my Falcon or Jeep, but because one had to be very careful not to run off, I have now added a third 150mm width to each side. As a matter of interest this set up was recommended to me by a Draftsman mate who came up with it off the top of his head as he designs a lot of the time with C-chan.
I really have not seen any deflection with a car sitting in the centre of the ramp span. barryh

gtr fan
25th September 2010, 10:22 AM
I am using standard galvanised C-chan as ramps at the bottom of my driveway up to my shed. dimensions are 2.6mm thick X 150W X3m long. for a couple of years I used with 2 sections welded together at around 300mm(side by side) had no problems as far as carrying the load of my Falcon or Jeep, but because one had to be very careful not to run off, I have now added a third 150mm width to each side. As a matter of interest this set up was recommended to me by a Draftsman mate who came up with it off the top of his head as he designs a lot of the time with C-chan.
I really have not seen any deflection with a car sitting in the centre of the ramp span. barryh

Thanks Barry,

You wouldn't have a pick would you? Whats C-CHan (excuse my ignorance).

.RC.
25th September 2010, 07:15 PM
Channel iron...

barry240
26th September 2010, 06:10 PM
I offered to send some photos to gtr fan via a moderator but all I got back was garbage saying I had a reply to my Query. It would be nice if my message was forwarded to gtr fan so that I could be of some help. barryh

DJ’s Timber
26th September 2010, 08:43 PM
I offered to send some photos to gtr fan via a moderator but all I got back was garbage saying I had a reply to my Query. It would be nice if my message was forwarded to gtr fan so that I could be of some help. barryh

If you have some photos to show, then you need to learn how to upload them rather than expecting a Moderator to spend his/her spare unpaid time doing it for you, when they have a heap of other things to do in the background like keeping spammers off here, etc.

Here is a very simple how to with images on how to upload images from your computer

Posting Pictures to Your Post - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=78760)

Dave J
26th September 2010, 10:06 PM
Windows power toy is a good image resizer, I use it all the time.
Windows XP PowerToys and Add-ins (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx)

Dave