PDA

View Full Version : New lidded bowl

powderpost
20th September 2010, 10:30 PM
Came across a block of wood under the bench and not feeling very adventurous, I decided a plain simple bowl would be fun, just for a change.:2tsup: I screwed a faceplate to the top and started to shape the outside and bottom to fit a chuck for the hollowing part. Geezzz, this is boring. A lidded bowl would be better, with the lid coming from the top of the same block, so the grain will match. Now there is the problem of the screw holes in the top. How about a piece of burl wood for an insert to cover the screw holes on the top? Ah!! that's better. Now what about the screw hole that appeared under the lid? There is that bit of ash laminated ring left over from another job, that will do the trick. The inside looks a bot plain. Now that star pattern left over from that last platter is about the right size. Mmmm that looks ok. Make a finial... naaah.. a smallish squat knob might suit the general appearance better.

A couple of coats of sanding sealer to fill the grain, some lacquer and a buff up with EEE. Now that looks ok. It finished up 180mm diameter and 60mm high. Not sure what timber it is, but it was very nice to work with. So much for the nice simple bowl????

That is how a carefully planned project project, using left overs, can work out. :;
Jim

groeneaj
21st September 2010, 12:02 AM
Very nice :)

Hardenfast
21st September 2010, 08:50 AM
Sometimes these things develop their own pathway to completion, Jim. This piece is another good reason not to toss those interesting little leftover bits too quickly. Very nice.

Wayne

Sawdust Maker
21st September 2010, 09:50 AM
Jim

Gees you just can't keep something simple can you? :doh:

Nice work with a couple of hidden surprises for the curious customer :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
21st September 2010, 10:11 AM
I tried doing exactly the same thing Jim but my
"leftovers" were all sawdust.

Well done :2tsup:

Allan

artme
21st September 2010, 10:16 AM
Nice one PP.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I have stacks of offcuts, just haven't put them to good use yet!

wheelinround
21st September 2010, 10:21 AM
Hard to break habits isn't it Jim even if they are good ones :U

Thats a real inspiring piece :2tsup::2tsup: