PDA

View Full Version : Repair of exterior ply

schaf
22nd September 2010, 07:45 AM
I have been asked to repair several panels of exterior ply that are used on a demountable building. This building is about 15 years old and the sheets are screwed to a steel frame for two days use once a year.
Over time the corners of the ply sheets have been knocked and banged about and as a result the ply has delaminated at the corners. Ply is 16mm thick.

Could someone offer advice as to which waterproof glue to use for repair and a method of forcing the glue down between the ply laminate sheets.
I have about 20 sheets 2400mm x 1200mm x 16mm to repair and am at a loss as to type of glue and method to use.

I hope some member's can offer some advice.
Regards
Terry

mic-d
22nd September 2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Terry you could try titebond III or a runny epoxy like West System.

Cheers
Michael

malb
22nd September 2010, 07:44 PM
You might get the best results overall by trimming the edges of the sheets back to undamaged material and edging the sheets with strips of a suitable hardwood. More work than a quickie patch, but will provide a lot of corner/edge protection for future use.
Probably should have been done this way originally. Attempting to seperate plys to clean out accumulated crud etc and get glue in to reform the corner will substantually extend the delminated area or break out damaged areas.

schaf
23rd September 2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks Michael, the titebond may be the way to go.
Mal,you have a good point and I understand what you are saying. Will have to rethink the whole job.

Many Thanks
Terry

AnselmFraser
24th September 2010, 05:10 AM
I think the best way to restore this plywood is to cut off all the edges that have delaminated and put aside the good pieces for other projects in your workshop or sell them second hand and buy new waterproof grade ply for the job.If you try and restore the ply as above it will take along time and look really bad!