PDA

View Full Version : Work shop pencil

Islander
23rd September 2010, 04:49 AM
Hi all.

Ok guys, no clever remarks please and if you can't resist make sure we all get a good belly laugh as I am going to ask one stupid question.

Here goes. How would you go about making a workshop pencil. It has no brass tube, just thread at the nib end, no post end etc. I have made a few sleeves, one drilled to 10mm (too large) one drilled to 9mm (too small, sleeve cracked) and one thrown across the yard through the shed door:((. Good throw though as it just missed the chook. I am now loath to waste another blank thus the red faced cry for assistance. So if someone has some real bright ideas I will forever be greatful:B:doh::o

Roger

gawdelpus
23rd September 2010, 03:55 PM
Ahaaa ! the carba-tech specials :). 9 mm is ok for the main body ,but the thread end is 9.88 mm . or .388" dia. Easy to drill 3/8 " for about 1/2 " depth ,then file some off the top of the thread till it just fits the 3/8 " hole . Either epoxy or CA just the threaded part of the nib end in and see how that goes . There are some brass tubes that are suitable but not sure which ones they are , cheers ~ John

Islander
24th September 2010, 02:29 AM
Hi John

I see you also buy there or at least look at them. Thank you for your info. After asking for advice I went to the shed and said to the pen. You are not going to beat me. I called in the army. Anyway, after the pen chat I took out a 9 1/2 mm drill bit, took some rough measurements (still need to get a digital caliper) and threw caution to the wind, drilled, cut and wallah. It fits like a dream, can still be unscrewed for replacements and repairs and I am happy.

Thanks for your advice though.

Regards
Roger

Dorno
26th September 2010, 06:24 PM
Bit late now that you already have the cheap ones from carbetec but the other type are much better and come with a 2 tubes. Try mark at 043turning he has some good ones but I am not sure of the price.

Cheers Ian

Islander
27th September 2010, 01:13 AM
Hi Ian

I give him a call. I decided that, as they are cheap at Carbatec $9 on special, usually $21 I'll give it a go. I have about 30 carpenters pencils floating arround and could never warrent another one. I am glad I did as I prefer a round one to the oblong. I'll give 043 a look.

Thanks

Roger

thumb trimmer
29th September 2010, 10:50 PM
Islander,

I had similar issues/questions; see the following thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f69/dreaded-woodworkers-pencil-123714/

I've made them (ie. I've only made two to date) using a brass tube from a 'traditional' pen from TimberBits, and drilled the blank with a 10mm bit.

good luck