PDA

View Full Version : "View first unread"

Soren
22nd October 2004, 12:46 PM
At times, even when following a thread, without subscribing, I am presented with the option to click in the top bar, "View first unread", on other threads, this option is not presented.

Is there a setting I need to activate, or is it something specific to the threads, managed by the Administrator ?

TassieKiwi
22nd October 2004, 01:51 PM
Yeah - me too. Seems to be no pattern to it. Maybe that's when you put the foily on.

johnmc
22nd October 2004, 01:58 PM
At times, even when following a thread, without subscribing, I am presented with the option to click in the top bar, "View first unread", on other threads, this option is not presented.

Is there a setting I need to activate, or is it something specific to the threads, managed by the Administrator ?

Clicking the View First Unread link will scroll you down to the post immediately after the last one which you read on the thread.

So, if you're viewing a thread for the first time it scrolls you to the start of the thread.

Say you last viewed a thread when there were 5 posts, and you re-visit the thread some time later. If there were susequent posts, pressing the View First Unread link will scroll you down to the start of the 6th post. If there were no subsequent posts, you should not see the View First Unread link (I think).

Soren
22nd October 2004, 04:27 PM
Yes, I understand the purpose, and the option / link appears in quite a number of posts, but for some reason not all :confused:

simon c
22nd October 2004, 04:55 PM
From my experience, there are three reasons why the View first unread doesn't appear:

1. You have already read all of the posts in a thread, so there aren't any unread ones
2. The forum thinks you have already read all of the posts in the thread. This can sometimes happen due to the timer feature that identifies when you last visited the forum. After a certain amount of inactive time (maybe 15mins) it resets so it can sometimes think you have read all of that thread before even when you haven't.
3. Somebody had modified a post, but not added a new one. This will flag the post as new (and thus appear in the new posts search) but when you go to visit the thread, there are really no new posts to see after all.

I'm no expert on this specific board, but I am involved in managing a similar one.

Simon

RETIRED
22nd October 2004, 08:16 PM
Simon is right. :D

The board refreshes every 15 minutes if there is no server activity.

Soren
22nd October 2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks

:o

Soren

simon c
23rd October 2004, 08:27 AM
Simon is right. :D

Cool :cool: