PDA

View Full Version : Council Approval

Bruce101
25th September 2010, 11:08 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick question someone may have an answer to. I am about to build a shed (Workshop) in the Hurstville council area for woodwork of about 18-19sq/m.

Telephone inquiries with the council refer me back to a section which indicates that Garden Sheds, Pergolas, Cubby Houses among other assorted structures, with a floor area of up to 20sq/m do not require a DA.

Q1 - What is the definition of a Garden Shed?
Q2 - Has anyone else had to submit a DA for approval for this size shed??

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Shuttle
26th September 2010, 08:52 AM
I am building one in Hurstville Council area at the moment ( Beverly Hills ) . Will be finished next week.

Under 20sqm the shed is exempt development. The height is limited to 3m and there are some other requirements on block size To meet the 3m height you need a low pitch roof.

Have a look at the council website , in the development section. The details of exempt and complying development are there.

My shed builder ( Perfect Garages ) checked with one of the local certifiers that they use.

If you can't find the sections let me know and I will find the links and send them to you.

BC

Ross
26th September 2010, 09:02 AM
Bruce

Search your council web site everything you need to know should be there.
When I built my shed (4 years ago) I only needed a DA if the shed was over a certain cost.

Ross

Bruce101
26th September 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks you both, I appreciate your input.

Regards

Pat
26th September 2010, 11:55 AM
I had another shed built last year, Wollongong City council approved it in a week, as I went thru an established company and followed the guidelines set don by the council to how large the shed could be. Even the council inspector was helpful. Yes I had it inspected at slab preparation stage and built. I was unaware that as I had changed the amount of "green" space, I had to have a water tank. The inspector said that if I get a small one, he'll approve the site. I ended up getting a much larger one (5000L), due to the amount of Sydney Water rebates at the time and the inspector was more than happy and his final question was "Are you happy with the shed?".

Bruce101
26th September 2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks Pat for your input. Much Appreciated.

dazza3690
30th September 2010, 12:03 PM
20sqm your'e lucky. Around here you need a builders permit if it's over 10sqm. Then they up your rates as you are improving your property (that's another rant):~

.RC.
30th September 2010, 09:14 PM
20sqm your'e lucky. Around here you need a builders permit if it's over 10sqm. Then they up your rates as you are improving your property (that's another rant):~

Just build two of them, one next to the other.. :sly:

dazza3690
30th September 2010, 11:06 PM
RC
Thought of that, but then read the small print with the word "total" in it, and the nice lady at the Shire office said they use things like Google Earth to check properties (it's quicker & they don't have to get out of their chair...):~

ian
1st October 2010, 12:37 AM
RC
Thought of that, but then read the small print with the word "total" in it, and the nice lady at the Shire office said they use things like Google Earth to check properties (it's quicker & they don't have to get out of their chair...):~If they're going to use Google Earth to check on you, you really should errect a very large tent in the yard covering the shed plus another 40-50 sq.m
then when they come calling with "you've got this huge unapproved structure in your back yard", you can point to the tent and say "it's not a permanent structure, just a tent"

dazza3690
1st October 2010, 01:41 PM
ian

Like your thinking:2tsup: