PDA

View Full Version : redgg...ggg...gg....uuu...uu...ummmmm

thumb trimmer
28th September 2010, 01:11 AM
Started with the lump of redgum which I rescued from a work collegues fire wood pile.

The smaller chunk yielded a couple of smaller bowls ... (it's always amusing when you look back at photo's of your earlier work)
148697 and 148696

The larger chunk gave me a fair amount of grief ... :~
... jumpin' around until it was 'roundish' (and hard as a rock ... it's dry as a bone ... which meant sharpen, turn, sharpen, turn, sharpen, turn, etc, etc, etc)

... tonight I finally got it to a shape I was happy ...
148692 148693 148694

... I'll hopefully finish it later this week.

... and I love the colouring :roll:.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2010, 02:47 AM
:2tsup:

I've always loved Redgum, it has to be one of my favourite timbers. Even though the damned stuff moves so much that it's pretty useless for lidded bowls and the like... unless you're lucky to have some that's around 100 years old.

You should be right, having turned just the outside, but once you start hollowing I seriously recommend finishing it in the same sitting to save yourself from even more grief. (Or perhaps you're a masochist? :U)

artme
28th September 2010, 07:07 AM
Love it!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The piece yet to be finished will look pretty spiphphy methinks.:):)

Sawdust Maker
28th September 2010, 09:43 AM
Nice bit of wood that :2tsup:

hope Skew hasn't put the mockers on it :p

hughie
28th September 2010, 11:12 AM
I've always loved Redgum, it has to be one of my favourite timbers. Even though the damned stuff moves so much that it's pretty useless for lidded bowls and the like... unless you're lucky to have some that's around 100 years old.

Same here, great stuff buts its gypsy wood, moves around all over the place. But your is looking good. :2tsup:

Edwards
28th September 2010, 01:58 PM
Started with the lump of redgum which I rescued from a work collegues fire wood pile.

The smaller chunk yielded a couple of smaller bowls ... (it's always amusing when you look back at photo's of your earlier work)
148697 and 148696

The larger chunk gave me a fair amount of grief ... :~
... jumpin' around until it was 'roundish' (and hard as a rock ... it's dry as a bone ... which meant sharpen, turn, sharpen, turn, sharpen, turn, etc, etc, etc)

... tonight I finally got it to a shape I was happy ...
148692 148693 148694

... I'll hopefully finish it later this week.

... and I love the colouring :roll:.

Red Gum is great and not usually a problem if handled properly.
I can see why you need that Steady Rest because you are so far out from your bearings. Can't you get your chuck closer in on the spindle. Seems like the thread adaptor must be too long. All this makes turning of heavy hard woods that much harder.
Cheers
Edwards :)

thumb trimmer
28th September 2010, 02:20 PM
Edwards ... can't remember who, but in another thread, someone else commented on the length of the thread adapter. I'm using a Nova G3 with a nova thread adapter (which is only about 10mm or so from the back of the chuck) ... between the back of the adapter and the face of the head stock is only spindle (as far as I know) ... the manufacturer may have extended the spindle due to the orientation of the motor and the fact that it extends forward past the face of the head stock.

Rum Pig
28th September 2010, 02:48 PM
I wish red gum grew up here:doh:

Very nice:2tsup:

Edwards
29th September 2010, 12:28 PM
Edwards ... can't remember who, but in another thread, someone else commented on the length of the thread adapter. I'm using a Nova G3 with a nova thread adapter (which is only about 10mm or so from the back of the chuck) ... between the back of the adapter and the face of the head stock is only spindle (as far as I know) ... the manufacturer may have extended the spindle due to the orientation of the motor and the fact that it extends forward past the face of the head stock.

Yes from your comments and a close up look I see the chuck adaptor length is normal but the exposed spindle length is excessive. This design will put a lot of extra load on the front Headstock bearing. The length will also make turning of larger diameter pieces more difficult especially with heavy cutting as vibration increases.
Still there is a lot of pleasure to be had and keep up the good work.
Cheers

wheelinround
29th September 2010, 05:59 PM
Looks good TT like the steady

worried about that exstention also never seen one out that far

thumb trimmer
2nd October 2010, 10:58 PM
... finished the vase(ishy) thing off today ... :U

... but damn, do I love my oland tool (and the other tool that I made and haven't got a name for yet) ... worked a treat ... (just need to get a decent scraper tip/bit for the other tool)
- I noted in a another thread that Ern (not sure??? sorry if I've got it wrong) said there were some potential issues with the quality of the steel in the sorby tear drop shaped tip ... can anyone recommend others ???

Anyhowz ... I'm thinking I'm needin' some help applying a finish :~ ... the photo's don't show it so much, but there are little globs :doh: of shellawax and/or EEE on the surface (inner and outer) of the bowl.

... apart from that, comments are always welcome.

(too thick maybe???)

Edwards
4th October 2010, 04:03 PM
... finished the vase(ishy) thing off today ... :U

... but damn, do I love my oland tool (and the other tool that I made and haven't got a name for yet) ... worked a treat ... (just need to get a decent scraper tip/bit for the other tool)
- I noted in a another thread that Ern (not sure??? sorry if I've got it wrong) said there were some potential issues with the quality of the steel in the sorby tear drop shaped tip ... can anyone recommend others ???

Anyhowz ... I'm thinking I'm needin' some help applying a finish :~ ... the photo's don't show it so much, but there are little globs :doh: of shellawax and/or EEE on the surface (inner and outer) of the bowl.

... apart from that, comments are always welcome.

(too thick maybe???)

Finish shown in the photo looks okay but I find for red gum you can't beat an oil finish, especially as there are often natural decaying areas that adds great features.
Cheers