PDA

View Full Version : Polishing bandsaw boxes

Don Nethercott
23rd October 2004, 12:21 PM
I am still struggling with my first box. Finally got the bandsaw going OK and have cut out my first box and am currently sanding and shaping it.

However!
Next step is polishing. I can't see me getting the inside of a little drawer to 1200rpm to apply a friction polish like Shellawax (which I use for my woodturning).

Any suggestions as to what to use. I know I could use Estapol, etc but I prefer polish as it really brings out the character of the wood. The box I am making at the moment is English Plane and it is a mass of colour which I want highlighted (a bowl in this stuff polished with Shellawax looks magnificent!)

Thanks
Don

RETIRED
23rd October 2004, 10:31 PM
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

Look down the list to Swansdown mops.

Don Nethercott
24th October 2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks , I have some of your Traditional wax which I was going to try.
In the instructions of your web site it says to buff - would buffing by hand work or does it need to be by mop on a machine, etc. I need to polishing the inside of irregular shaped small drawers (say 75mm x 75mm) with 'square' corners.

RETIRED
25th October 2004, 08:29 AM
Neil is more qualified to answer than me and I will get him to answer it.

Sprog
25th October 2004, 05:22 PM
I need to polishing the inside of irregular shaped small drawers (say 75mm x 75mm) with 'square' corners.

Don,
Rather than trying to polish the inside of the draws have you thought of using flocking to finish them.
Leather also looks nice but is a little harder to apply.

Flocking (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?prodid=28351&searchOffset=0)

Don Nethercott
25th October 2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks Sprog - that looks like a good idea. I'll give it a go.

reeves
2nd November 2004, 03:27 PM
I just did a box in Gidgee and used traditional cabinet makers wax plus its harder steel wool finsihing wax, came up a treat indeed....

cheeeeeers

Geez
2nd November 2004, 08:58 PM
Don, did a course on bandsaw boxes with Allan Williams( his Nautilus compartment box is in AWR 41) in Grafton at Artfest a few years ago and we used 1/3 of each;boiled linseed oil,turps and spar marine varnish rubbed in starting at 400w&d through to 1000. Let dry between grades. Looks great and feels even better.
Peter

Don Nethercott
2nd November 2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks Reeves and Geez.
All good ideas to try.
I tried to get into Allan Williams course in Artfest this year but was too late - it filled up real fast. Must try and get in early next year (if he is on again!)
Don