PDA

View Full Version : Another turning tool

NeilS
30th September 2010, 01:40 PM
For those who must have every turning tool ever made, here (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/newsorbyultima1.htm) is the latest Sorby offering. No doubt Jim will have them too when they are available.

hughie
30th September 2010, 02:11 PM
Rolly Munro???

Sawdust Maker
30th September 2010, 03:29 PM
Rolly Munro???

uncanny resemblance

Jim Carroll
30th September 2010, 06:15 PM
uncanny resemblance

Just a lot chunkier.

NeilS
30th September 2010, 08:25 PM
Rolly Munro???

Yeah... not sure if Rolly has franchised his "clever design" or if Sorby just 'borrowed' it...:D But can't imagine that Sorby would jeopardise their hard earned reputation with anything underhand.

All we need now is for Woodcut to articulate their cutter head and we would have even more options.

All the more the merrier.

TTIT
30th September 2010, 10:27 PM
Looks like a bit of a clogger to me :C - but I'd love to test drive one just to find out :U

mkypenturner
30th September 2010, 10:54 PM
wondering if it can be purchased unhandled as i reckin it would look good in my vermec handle

Jim Carroll
1st October 2010, 09:51 AM
Yes it can be ordered unhandled.

They offer 2 sizes small Handled $266.00 Unhandled $180.00 and medium handled $297.00 and unhandled $202.00

Unfortunatly they do not indicate bar sizes so I am assuming small 1/2" and medium 5/8"

We will be ordering with our next order after the Melbourne Wood show so if anyone wants to pre order just let us know

hughie
1st October 2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah... not sure if Rolly has franchised his "clever design" or if Sorby just 'borrowed' it...:D But can't imagine that Sorby would jeopardise their hard earned reputation with anything underhand.
All we need now is for Woodcut to articulate their cutter head and we would have even more options.
All the more the merrier.

Dunno, the only patent I could find with Rollys name on it was one that looked like the Sheppard cutter thats still for sale on the Woodcut site.

Woodcut, well I guess most articulated arms would fit

NeilS
1st October 2010, 03:39 PM
Looks like a bit of a clogger to me :C - but I'd love to test drive one just to find out :U

Being so similar to the Munro, reckon it would tend to do so, but maybe they have sorted that out. That is also why I mentioned the Woodcut which I understand doesn't clog so readily on their current design. I've only used the older Sheppard cutter that Hughie mentions and not the later Woodcut, so not talking from experience here. The downside of the Woodcut is that it comes in a fixed number of bends. I'd love to try one of their cutter designs on an articulated arm.... combining the best of both designs...:wink:

Jim Carroll
1st October 2010, 05:01 PM
The Pro Forme Flexi is the woodcut articulated tool you need to get next Neil

Works the same as the Pro Formes but has a smaller head and 1/2" bar.

TTIT
1st October 2010, 05:09 PM
Being so similar to the Munro, reckon it would tend to do so, but maybe they have sorted that out. That is also why I mentioned the Woodcut which I understand doesn't clog so readily on their current design. I've only used the older Sheppard cutter that Hughie mentions and not the later Woodcut, so not talking from experience here. The downside of the Woodcut is that it comes in a fixed number of bends. I'd love to try one of their cutter designs on an articulated arm.... combining the best of both designs...:wink:

.All your dreams realised :; The Woodcut Proforme-flexi (http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=88&xPage=1&jssCart=d3ea593db71a8c947e6c32172fcec39d) that I bought from Jim last xmas is just what you want. Slightly smaller cutting head than the standard Proforme with a couple of different linkage arrangements that will cover just about any form you attack. Pretty much my favourite toy these days :U

RETIRED
1st October 2010, 05:45 PM
Snap!!:D

TTIT
1st October 2010, 09:50 PM
Snap!!:DYou didn't :C - did you???

NeilS
2nd October 2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks Jim, Vern & for pointing out the bleeding obvious... must admit that the little 1/2" Pro-Forme Flexi was in my blind spot, having concentrated on the 5/8" and 3/4" shaft options for larger/deeper hollow forms.

Think I can remember seeing Brendan taking a small Flexi for a trot on someone's small hollow form at Horsham the year before last but thought it was a bit light on for deeper/larger forms and didn't file it away in the grey matter for further reference.

So, for me, there is still a gap in the heavy/longer shaft options with a Woodcut style cutter, but perhaps that is a limited market that won't be filled. But, without that option, quite a few tools are required to do the same job....e.g. 1/2" Pro-Forme Flexi for the undercut work in the shoulder and neck areas and a set of 3 x fixed angle 5/8" Pro-Formes for the belly, transition and bottom. However, that's a lot more tool swapping, tool rack real estate, and $s.

I know Jim sells a separate Pro-Forme cutter head... maybe a Sorby Ultima/Woodcut cutter head hybrid, but still a bit of mucking around to get things to fit together, and the total $s creeping up as well.