PDA

View Full Version : More questions

ozhunter
1st October 2010, 06:54 PM
Hello

Been thinking about this casting caper whilst driving along, and there are a couple of things that I can't work out.

I saw a pic of a pen that someone did using cast coffee beans. The beans looked liked that had met with the skew in the process of bringing the blank down to size. If this is so, how do you reseal the blank after turning. My initial thought was it would reseal if you used CA as a finish, but if you don't use CA, how do you seal the blank again.

The same question could be applied to any thing that doesn't hug the tube enough to stay under the PR when turned to size.

Or am I on the complete wrong track.

Thanks

oz

gawdelpus
1st October 2010, 10:05 PM
Yes you are correct in your thinking , most food product pens need sealing after finishing to size, rice corn pepper coffee etc. coffee beans are usually hardened under pressure before casting . Lots to consider in all this casting stuff , but can be kept fairly simple till you build up some experience (confidence) hehe, cheers ~ John

ozhunter
1st October 2010, 10:08 PM
My head hurts thinking of all the possibilities :) Looking forward to having a go at them as time progresses.

oz

NewLondon88
3rd October 2010, 07:20 AM
Not to plug my own molds, but items like that can be re-cast also.
Cast, turn, drop it in the mold and cast in clear. Gives you a resin coating you can
polish and the resin should adhere at least as well as the CA. But the CA is faster.

Right now I'm warming up a mold to re-cast a circuit board pen that chipped out. A large
chunk came out of the side of one tube, so I'm putting it back in a Cigar mold and I'll
re-cast in clear. No sense wasting an expensive blank because of an 'oops' ..

Bellsy
13th October 2010, 12:31 AM
Oz, the sky is the limit on this casting stuff. Let your imagination run wild....:D

BTW.....you might become an addict.

Dave