PDA

View Full Version : 54 Inch Swing Lathe

Paul39
3rd October 2010, 12:32 PM
For turning brake drums with wheel and tire attached.

Looks stout enough to swing a tree stump.

lathe 54" - Winnipeg Tools & Hardware For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada. (http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-lathe-54-W0QQAdIdZ233413688)

hughie
3rd October 2010, 01:19 PM
For turning brake drums with wheel and tire attached.
Looks stout enough to swing a tree stump.
lathe 54" - Winnipeg Tools & Hardware For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada. (http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-lathe-54-W0QQAdIdZ233413688)

Paul, I bet it would rev out very slow, those large old lathes had very low top speeds, probably around 2-300rpm

joe greiner
3rd October 2010, 07:42 PM
Paul, I bet it would rev out very slow, those large old lathes had very low top speeds, probably around 2-300rpm

Just right for a tree stump.

Shipping from Winnipeg would be the killer, though.

Cheers,
Joe

Paul39
4th October 2010, 06:18 AM
Distance is what is saving me from jumping into the van and driving.

A couple of hours from here and I would sell my firstborn and go get it.

is experienced and / or brave enough to turn big stuff at high rpm. I rough with a chain saw and ax so my blanks are not well balanced.

I like slow at the beginning.

Surface feet per minute at 30 - 40 inches diameter moves right along at 200 rpm.

Add: From someone who responded to the ad. "$150. I'd buy it if it was complete but I don't know what's missing and it's a 2 hour drive away."

There is more than $150 in scrap metal there.

RETIRED
4th October 2010, 07:57 AM
Distance is what is saving me from jumping into the van and driving.

A couple of hours from here and I would sell my firstborn and go get it.

is experienced and / or brave enough to turn big stuff at high rpm. I rough with a chain saw and ax so my blanks are not well balanced.

I like slow at the beginning.

Surface feet per minute at 30 - 40 inches diameter moves right along at 200 rpm.

Add: From someone who responded to the ad. "$150. I'd buy it if it was complete but I don't know what's missing and it's a 2 hour drive away."

There is more than $150 in scrap metal there.Not brave enough to start at high revs. Self preservation is high on my list of priorities. :wink::D

swallow
9th October 2010, 08:00 PM
Just right for a tree stump.

Shipping from Winnipeg would be the killer, though.

Cheers,
Joe

Naw it's only 90 miles from here could be there and back in four hours, darn shame that I don't need a boat anchor that size.