PDA

View Full Version : About to Join Shed Brigade

Carry Pine
3rd October 2010, 03:50 PM
Hi,

I'm 2 days away from signing on the dotted line for a colourbond shed.

4m X 9m X 2.7m -10degrees on the roof.

The site is a sloping one so I could not get the ideal 6X whatever (double front).
It will come with insulation in the roof but I intend to put insulation in the walls later. (I have read these posts from start to finish.)

I'm having the concreting done as it will need a pump and substantial earthworks (not my forte).

Here is the chance for any comments . They are all welcome.
2 things that I need to ask about are inreasing the roof angle and maybe the height of the sides for the installation of racks etc.

Any thoughts?

Graham

BobR
3rd October 2010, 04:29 PM
I would have liked to have gone a little higher at the sides but was advised that over 2.7 and I would have needed a DA. Did not want to go down that path as I needed the shed up quickly.

Insulation a must. I have had one winter and one summer in the shed and felt no pain at all.

If you are going to put in windows I would suggest giving their placement a lot of thought. I went for two windows on either side for max natural light. However, I gave up quite a bit of wall that I could use now. Also, one windows gives too much sunlight from about midday - have placed insulation foam board across it now.

Also give real thought to lighting. I did a bit of reasearch then approached a lighting retailer who passed my requirements on to design engineers with one of their suppliers. I now have excellent lighting with no shadows at all. The electrician who installed the power and lighting said that they had never installed power and lighting like this in a shed before, and suggested that I wear blockout when turning all the lights on :D

Hope this helps in some way.

wheelinround
3rd October 2010, 05:30 PM
Graham you said you read the threads, being where you are, Pat's idea of floor surface for insulation come to mind nothing worse than cold aching feet and legs. Windows position for you would matter come winter and summer.
Shelves if your up my way Graham give me a buzz and see what I have.:2tsup:

I_wanna_Shed
3rd October 2010, 05:41 PM
Congratulations Graham on this new member of your family!

That's a nice shed size, you will welcome the space for sure. My shed was already here when we moved in, but there's a few things I would do if I was building one (and I may still do these if I can ever move everything out to do them!).

Seal the concrete floor with one of those concrete paints. The surface of my slab is extremely dusty, and whenever I sweep it I need to leave the shed due to the extremely fine dust that floats around for hours. Or more expensively, cover the slab with floorboards or the sheets of yellow tongue stuff to give your feet something comfy to stand on.
You are spot-on with the insulation. The insulation on my roof is just that silver foil stuff. It feels like it does stuff all. It would be a challenge keeping it warm down your way in winter! (I've got a nice old cast iron fireplace in my shed).
A whirlybird would be good for me in summer (but if I had better insulation I may not need one).
You would no doubt know this, but double powerpoints EVERYWHERE! Lights too! I had a sparky mate do mine so all I paid for was materials. But even if I had to pay full price I still would have loaded the shed with outlets.

You will love it! I'll ride down to be at the christening.

Nathan.

Carry Pine
3rd October 2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the quick replies shed owners. The shed needs a DA anyway, so there will be discussion about the height of the sides.
Nathan- remember Catherine Hill. After a few beers you will be able get down there but you need to get up first.

Graham

whitewood
4th October 2010, 07:53 AM
When I built my shed I put a 'clear plastic' panel in the roof over my main work bench. It stops bad sun but allows good light and I never need a light on during the day. I also but a couple of vertical panels on the southern side walls and these also allow a lot of light, with minimum heat in summer. We get frosts here and it is hot in summer but I still think it is worth it especially given the current cost of power.

Whitewood

Scribbly Gum
4th October 2010, 08:23 AM
Two pieces of good news on the same weekend - Collingwood win and a new shed!
Well done Graham.
I built my shed from a kit about fifteen years ago, and it has the 2700 wall height. I find that it is plenty high enough for storage, and I can barely reach the top things anyway.
One thing to remember is that if it is a standard plan or kit, then all the engineering, the specs and the plans will be provided, so that these can be submitted as part of the DA.
If you carry out variations, you might have to submit an engineer's report to have the variations qualified and passed for approval. That usually means more expense.
One thing that my shed lacks is controlled ventilation, which makes it hot in the summers. I recommend that you look at this as part of yours, and of course it can get cold down there as well.
Good luck with it Graham. I hope you can share some pictures as it proceeds.
Kind regards
Tom

Ross
4th October 2010, 09:37 AM
You will definately need a whirlybird. The extra ventilation helps with clearing the very fine dust as well as helping with the cooling in summer.

Ross

Sawdust Maker
4th October 2010, 09:57 AM
Happy new shed
welcome to the group of those who have thir own sanity chamber :U

BobR
4th October 2010, 10:24 AM
Re the whirlybird - did I not read somewhere on the forum that these can let in moisture and that if equipment is under them you run the risk of rusting.

I_wanna_Shed
4th October 2010, 10:29 AM
Re the whirlybird - did I not read somewhere on the forum that these can let in moisture and that if equipment is under them you run the risk of rusting.

I'm not sure if it would fix this specific problem but I have seen ones where they have a type of shutter on them so you can render them useless in times such as winter.

Ross
4th October 2010, 10:30 AM

In 5 years I have never had this problem. No rust on any of my tools.

Ross

Carry Pine
4th October 2010, 10:45 AM
More replies. Thank you. But let me answer a few suggestions:

Scribbly Gum- not all share your love of Collingwood. I could say something mean but let me tell you about seeing a lane called 'Scribbly Gum Lane. No photo but can provide GPS is needed. (The sign underneath said 'Dead End')- They could have said no through road. .

Whitewood - have planned for 2 clear panels

Ross- the whirlybird for cooling in summer. Let me tell you about the 3 days of summer we get. They are the days I don't need to take the glueing inside the house to set. May think about it later if the dust is a problem.

Will see the 'man' tomorrow to discuss further details.

Graham

Scribbly Gum
4th October 2010, 10:58 AM

Scribbly Gum- not all share your love of Collingwood. I could say something mean but let me tell you about seeing a lane called 'Scribbly Gum Lane. No photo but can provide GPS is needed. (The sign underneath said 'Dead End')- They could have said no through road. .

Graham

The joke is on me then Graham. I thought that you were a 'Pies supporter.
Oops! Sorry about that.
I remember when I was building my shed. Every day was an adventure. You are going to enjoy this.
Go the Tigers (?)
SG

Carry Pine
4th October 2010, 01:36 PM
Apology accepted.

Graham

Yonnee
5th October 2010, 05:32 PM

Scribbly Gum- not all share your love of Collingwood. PREMIERS 2010!!! :2tsup::2tsup: Sorry, couldn't resist. :q

Whitewood - have planned for 2 clear panels

As for the clear "skylights", my first shed had them, and you could not stand under them in direct sunlight. Even just a high 20's day, it was almost unbearable to be where the sun shone through. And anything in the path of the direct sunlight ended up fading due the UV. If you really feel the need for natural light, try and option some of the light coloured opaque Laserlight panels rather than the clear. Even the tinted doesn't help with the heat.

Also, the extra 300mm wall height will be a godsend if you do it now, rather than finding you need a little extra storage height later on. When I did mine it was a couple of hundred extra, but I'm sure glad I did it. I now have a little storeroom in the back corner, with a mezzanine floor roof.

rat52
5th October 2010, 08:06 PM
It is an obvious thing but make sure the concretors put plastic under the concrete slab or you will forever have moisture and dampness problems

Doc0055
6th October 2010, 05:48 PM
I used the light coloured opaque Laserlight, in two sections of my castle. but I only exposed 200mm op the panels. Lets in heaps of light and not too much heat.

The whirlybird will help with ventilation and stopping condensation.

I_wanna_Shed
13th October 2010, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I'm 2 days away from signing on the dotted line for a colourbond shed.

Well... did you sign? Did you did you did you???? :U

Sawdust Maker
13th October 2010, 10:35 PM
Well... did you sign? Did you did you did you???? :U

and we need photos :photo2:

Carry Pine
14th October 2010, 08:14 AM
yeh, signed up.

4X9mm with 3m height walls.

mega sloping block so heaps of earthworks.

Pictures? Of a grey shed? OK if that's what turns you on!

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
14th October 2010, 09:38 PM
Excellent!

And 3m high walls. I'm drooling......

Nathan.

Beetle Shirt
19th October 2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Graham,

I was going to suggest 3m walls, so glad you went that way. I have 2.4m on mine, and it's too low to move sheetwork around comfortably. The rolladoor is nowhere near high enough either - carrying a 2.4 x 1.2m sheet of ply out the door I need to duck.

Insulate the walls from the outset. Any north facing walls will get very hot during your three days of summer ;) and it's much easier to build the insulation in as you go.

Seal the floor before you do anything inside the shed. I lined my walls first, and had to cut a strip off the bottom of the linings to be able to seal the slab. Lining sheets that had been there for a while were mouldy, so it definitely needed sealing. Oh, and definitely lay plastic down under the slab.

Powerpoints - can't have too many. I put the wiring in conduit under the wall linings, but someone here suggested running the cable around the top of the walls just under the roof and dropping conduit lines down to the ppoints. This would definitely be easier than the way I did it.

Lights - don't use point source lights unless you have heaps of them, you'll get shadows. I used eight 1200mm fluoros in my 3x6m shed, and it's great! I'll still have spot lamps for detailed work though. The guy I bought the lights from probably still has more if you're interested. Pics of the lights at the end of my shed thread: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f245/new-shed-now-how-fit-out-115025/

Power - run separate circuits for lights and power. If you manage to trip the power circuit you don't want to lose your lights at the same time.

Roof panels - I used a couple of white translucent panels in my roof on the south side. Gives good light still, but cuts the heat dramatically. Don't put transparent sheets on the north face of the roof or you'll cook.

Enjoy your new shed! Hope it's a quicker process for you than mine has been.

issatree
19th October 2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Graham,
Many years ago an old friend of mine had a cheap buy of 8' x 4' sheets of thick Masonite.
He put them on the wall, cut 4in. holes in the top & blew all his shavings into the wall.
Used to go to his Shed, & from outside you could not hear a thing, even with the Planer Thicknesser, or Saw, going.
It was so quiet, even inside his Shed as well, & of course very well Insulated.
Just a thought.
Regards,
issatree.

Mike Busby
1st November 2010, 12:48 AM
Whirlybirds letting in moisture? Nah not in my neck of the woods. Got a true test on 27th jan 2010 when we had a downpour including at one stage 168mm per hour rainfall rate for almost 38 minutes (for a total of 132mm for 24 hours) with no water ingress from the whirly birds. Under the roller door yes but nothing from the birds.
Shed is 19 months old and is cyclone rated to W42 or C4 standard whichever is current (Both detailed on plans from council). 6x4x2.7 Colourbond, two windows at right angles and i should have only had one put in. As stated above, lost a heck of a lot of wall space. Shed walls have been lined and ceiling insulation when i can get SWMBO to exit the aircon for long enough to walk out to the shed in 38C - Townsville winter lasted 2 days. It got down to 11C on both days Sniff I miss winter - like a toothache that is.

Christos
1st November 2010, 06:46 AM
yeh, signed up.

4X9mm with 3m height walls.

mega sloping block so heaps of earthworks.

Pictures? Of a grey shed? OK if that's what turns you on!

Graham

Still no picture?

Carry Pine
29th November 2010, 08:33 PM
Earthworks done on Friday. The guy finishing off needed a rope tied to a tree to stop him being washed away. The pour was to be Saturday. It poured all right! I can't see the concrete being poured for another week.
End of November is now looking like Christmas.

You want photos?
They won't show anything except water at the moment.

CP

I_wanna_Shed
29th November 2010, 09:23 PM
Oh big bummer. Delays in having the shed built - I can't think if anything worse!!! My fingers are crossed for the rain clearing.

Carry Pine
30th November 2010, 05:14 PM
.............and it's still coming down.

CP

Sawdust Maker
30th November 2010, 09:21 PM
I five years time the small wait will be forgotten :2tsup:
If it's on that much of a slope you could have put a cellar underneath - or a water tank?

Carry Pine
2nd December 2010, 08:50 PM
The slope's not the problem. my raingauge only takes 4in and I'm emptying it almost every day. When i think I'm in a bad way i think of the people below me where all my water goes.

Graham

Bob38S
4th December 2010, 10:05 AM
Don't forget to use or at least investigate the [I think it's called] vermin exclusion strips which are in the shape of a "Z" but with a vertical riser - these go on the floor and out under the tin wall - stops most things crawling up the corrugations and stops grass growing up inside your shed. Unfortunately they charge like a bull for this stuff but it works well and [to me] was worth the extra $.

Carry Pine
4th December 2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks Bob. I'll investigate that. There's no rush on putting up the shed though. They didn't even deliver it here. They knew something!

Graham

Sawdust Maker
11th December 2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Bob. I'll investigate that. There's no rush on putting up the shed though. They didn't even deliver it here. They knew something!

Graham

Do you have a slab yet?

so where did they deliver it? It wasn't here :(

Carry Pine
13th December 2010, 08:37 PM
Inspection approved today. Shed man keen to drop concrete. maybe tomorrow or weekend.

Graham

Carry Pine
24th January 2011, 07:35 PM
Slab laid weekend before last.
Day 1 of framing done today.
Finish tomorrow maybe.
Photos soon.

Graham

Beetle Shirt
24th January 2011, 07:49 PM
Always takes longer than you think, doesn't it? :(

Look forward to the pics - have to show it off!

Carry Pine
25th January 2011, 09:08 AM
Some of the stories will be interesting too.

eg: Air temp approx 28 degrees C, length of concrete pump hose 50metres- how long does it take for the concrete to set in the pipe if the next load does not come?
And how do you clear it?
And when it does clear where does all the semi-set concrete go? And who cleans it up?

CP

Shedblog Au
25th January 2011, 07:11 PM

eg: Air temp approx 28 degrees C, length of concrete pump hose 50metres- how long does it take for the concrete to set in the pipe if the next load does not come?
And how do you clear it?
And when it does clear where does all the semi-set concrete go? And who cleans it up?

CP

Love to hear the answers to your questions above?? :oo:

I_wanna_Shed
25th January 2011, 10:51 PM

And how do you clear it?

CP

Oh boy! That really has me puzzled!

Hopefully the concretor sorted it out. I'm looking for someone to pour a 6x6m carport slab soon.... Hopefully I dont get those problems!

Good luck with the rest of it!

Nathan.

Carry Pine
27th January 2011, 05:39 PM
Shed up.
Photos tomorrow.
Happy with looks- if you like grey (ironstone).

Graham

Carry Pine
28th January 2011, 11:54 AM
Shed beginnings with photos.
The slab 130mm thick with a dropdown edge on the bottom side.
For those who came in late: shed is 4m X 9m X 3m high.

Can you see the amount of rain we had?

More photos following,

Graham

Carry Pine
28th January 2011, 12:00 PM
Here is the 'finished' shed.
I'll put in a separate note about the hiccups along the way.
The last photo gives an idea of the cut needed to fit the slab.

Graham

I_wanna_Shed
28th January 2011, 02:39 PM
Nice Graham!

You'll be loving all of that space. Nice outlook from the shed too.

No for the good bit - setting it up. Then moving stuff around. Then setting it up again. Then moving stuff around......

I love the extra height too, I only wish mine had that.

Nathan.