PDA

View Full Version : Shearline lathe pick up

rodent
6th October 2010, 01:04 PM
Last weekend I picked up a Sherline lathe for $20.00 at a garage sale . model no 1000 brass bed 8 inch it uses the old singer sewing machine motor no lead so i converted it to a computer ( jug ) lead . switch broken fixed that , slides clogged cleaned them . Was on a nice hardwood base so i made a box with draws , to go under it ( one draw done so far ) . got a light for it . Now the Sherline has a no 0 taper in the tail stock , i only have a dead center where can i get a live center and a chuck for it . Any help you can give me would be appreciated . PS what's the tool shape for brass cutting .:D

Stustoys
6th October 2010, 01:57 PM
The center will cost more than your lathe.... not many people can say that.:D

Pictures?

RDG Tools - Online Engineering Tools OTHER REVOLVING CENTRE'S (http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/8MM_WATCHMAKING_REVOLVING_CENTRE.html)

Gavin Newman
6th October 2010, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you've done well there for $20.

PS what's the tool shape for brass cutting .:D

Essentially the same as for steel but with no top rake (or even some negative rake) Brass will grab a tool ground with the normal positive rake - guaranteed to ruin your day, even with a lathe as massive as your Sherline:U

malb
6th October 2010, 05:37 PM
Good luck with it. I bought one 'new' about 1978, after the manufacturers had folded.
In the liquidation process, someone had bought the contents of the reject parts bin, assembled full lathe/mill kits from the parts and sold them off to hobby shops who sold them to the public.

Biggest pig in a poke I ever bought.

The bed, saddle etc are anodised aluminium extrusions, not brass as you suspect. I tried to get replacement bits from US some time after, but the US units, although derived from the local ones are significantly different as the bed is extruded, straightened, machined and anodised, and has different dimmensions to the original, as do the saddle and tailstock.

The spindle is 1MT and the tailstock is 0MT, but both are truncated so a commercial item will not fit unless the taper is truncated to suit.

rodent
8th October 2010, 09:52 PM
Sorry to tell you but mine is brass , one of the old ones . The guy i got it from said it was his grandfathers and he had never used it ( got to believe that ,it was so gummed up ) took the slide off and did the file test . What is truncated ??? sorry it has been a loooooong time since i've done any of this . Does it mean that it's had a tail shortening experience .diam 9.045 mm 17.5mm long and a diam of 8.08 at the tail .
.http://www.sherline.com/sherhist.htm
for the history of sherline.
mines the 1000 series made here not the 4000 series made in the states .

rodent
10th October 2010, 01:27 AM
And thank guys for the quick pick up and help with my thread .:D

malb
10th October 2010, 04:02 PM
From the history link you provided;

First Model 1000 Lathe originates "Down Under"...

The original Sherline Model 1000 Lathe was designed in the late 1960's and built in Australia. The design of the machine and the idea of using aluminum extrusions to achieve a rigid machine at low cost was conceived by Australian inventor and engineer Harold Clisby. When Mr. Clisby decided to devote his energy to producing a line of air compressors, a Melbourne manufacturing engineer named Ron Sher put the lathe concept into production in 1972 under the Sherline name. The original design parameters included a rigid bed to avoid twisting and a low manufacturing cost. These goals were achieved through the clever use of extruded parts.

Mine is also a 1000 Aussie machine, but definitely gold coloured anodised ali. beds and slides.

By truncated, I mean that both the tapers are significantly shorter than normal for standard MT. Not too much of an issue at the headstock, but at the tailstock, the feedscrew will eject a normal length taper too soon for it to be very usefull. Enjoy the little beasty, and may you have gotten one of the good ones.

If yours had an O ring belt, it is effectively stuffed the first time it gets a spot of oil on it. It's hard to find a Vbelt to suit with standard motor mount and pulleys, I ended up making up a leather Vbelt and using that.

rodent
12th October 2010, 09:39 PM
It,s a v belt . I know there's a belt maker in braeside some where now i've got to find out the name and address . Got my mates dad coming down on the weekend , so ill get him to go over it ( HE'S GOT 3 ). Now i've got 3 wood lathes 1 small metal lathe other machines ad no room and yes i've been cleaning the shed up for the last 3 days . raining now so it's time to go and work in the shed ( and mess up all the neatnes i made ) . oh well got to get one of though's 60 liter wheele bins for the workshop now . have a nice day every one , and don't forget when it stuffs up it's Charlies fault .

Bryan
12th October 2010, 09:59 PM
and don't forget when it stuffs up it's Charlies fault .

Is that the same p**** who keeps hiding my tools and leaving my shed in a mess? If I ever catch him...