PDA

View Full Version : Induction training for 750 Stubby users

jefferson
7th October 2010, 06:03 PM
The local club just acquired a new 750 Stubby. A few of us need to show others how to use it. I've used one before, plus some time on the larger 1000 model, but can't claim to be expert - particularly on using the sliding beds.

All I have is a few hours experience and the owner's manual.

So, Stubby owners out there, what do I need to know to induct newbies onto the machine? It will most likely be the club's bowl / platter lathe.

A short list of do's and dont's would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pat
7th October 2010, 06:11 PM
Is that the ruse to get it past Ann, it's the club's lathe dear, just set up here so I can come up with an induction plan . . . :;

jefferson
7th October 2010, 06:20 PM
Pat, a 750 Stubby is very, very high on my shopping list.

Unfortunately, the renos are in the way at the moment...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The standing joke today was whether I would be brave enough to bring one home and seek forgiveness!

RETIRED
7th October 2010, 06:21 PM
or death!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Tim the Timber Turner
7th October 2010, 08:15 PM
Paint it blue and tell her it's a cheap Vicmarc.:;

tea lady
7th October 2010, 09:08 PM
Pat, a 750 Stubby is very, very high on my shopping list.

Unfortunately, the renos are in the way at the moment...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The standing joke today was whether I would be brave enough to bring one home and seek forgiveness!:doh: The forgiveness list cant get longer than one thing at a time Jeff! :D:U And kitchen half done is taking up the whole list. Hurry up and do the kitchen.:D

I know nothing of Stubbies though. :C:rolleyes::D

RETIRED
8th October 2010, 09:32 AM
Perhaps something like this Jeff.

"Achtung. Das Machine ist nicht fuer der finger-poken und mittengrabben.

Iss easy schnapper der shpringen, bloven das fusen und poppen der korken mit shpitzern shparken.

Is nicht fur geverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen.

Keepen das cotten picken hands in das pockets.

Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

tea lady
8th October 2010, 09:36 AM
:cl: Did you have an extra sugar in your tea this morning .

Pretty funny though. :rofl: :D

Tim the Timber Turner
8th October 2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Tea lady’

In light of his recent posts, it would seem obvious that hasn’t got much work on at the moment.

I would suggest you find him something to keep him busy before he gets up to more mischief.

He could try making the tea for you instead of the other way around.

Cheers

Tim:)

jefferson
8th October 2010, 11:41 AM
Bloody hell.

You'd have thought all those Stubby owners out there would have been giving me lots of advice but alas not. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even Calm has deserted ship. I guess I'll have to figure it all out myself. :D:D:D

Ed Reiss
8th October 2010, 11:54 AM
Jeff, if you can't dazzle them with brillance...baffle them with bull**** :2tsup:

Pat
8th October 2010, 12:09 PM
:whs:

RETIRED
8th October 2010, 12:12 PM
Seriously Jeff this is the sort of thing I would do.

It assumes that all normal safety procedures have been taught regarding normal lathe usage e.g. speed, faceshields, clothing etc.

The only real difference between a Stubby and all other lathes is the bed movement and variable speed.

Go through the switch location.

Get them to use the variable speed control with no load to get a feel for how quick it goes from whoa to go, and that they need to do it SLOWLY when increasing speed and how long it takes to ramp down. Reinforce the fact that it must be IN THE SLOW SPEED WHEN THEY START.

The variations in bed locations and the maximum extent that they can be moved without coming out and falling on the floor and that all locks must be tight before starting.

Belt changes and how to do it and the explanation of the difference in speed and torque.

Jim Carroll
8th October 2010, 12:41 PM
Jeff, if you can't dazzle them with brillance...baffle them with bull**** :2tsup:

I prefer Eds advice, you just take too much fun out of this sometimes.:rolleyes:

Go gettam Jeff :2tsup:

RETIRED
8th October 2010, 01:54 PM
I prefer Eds advice, you just take too much fun out of this sometimes.:rolleyes:

Go gettam Jeff :2tsup:So do I but sometimes only sometimes you have to be serious.:wink:

tea lady
8th October 2010, 04:29 PM
Bloody hell.

You'd have thought all those Stubby owners out there would have been giving me lots of advice but alas not. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even Calm has deserted ship. I guess I'll have to figure it all out myself. :D:D:DI think all Stubby owners have given up wood turning out of frustration.:D (That should flush 'em out.:cool::q )

powderpost
8th October 2010, 10:05 PM
I think you folks should come north and defrost, all that cold weather is causing too much mental confusion. :D
Jim

TTIT
8th October 2010, 10:34 PM
I think all Stubby owners have given up wood turning out of frustration.:D (That should flush 'em out.:cool::q )Sometimes it's just cool to sit back and watch the antics :U.
The truth is is right (dontcha hate havin' to admit it though!!!). Using a Stubby is the same as any other lathe until you start working on big stuff when the swivel bed comes into it's own - and the auxillary bed is a handy-dandy little item too :;

RETIRED
8th October 2010, 11:13 PM
I think you folks should come north and defrost, all that cold weather is causing too much mental confusion. :D
JimVery shortly.:D

govarney
8th October 2010, 11:27 PM
My advice. (Stubby owner)

Get sleep whenever you can...

On the way to work, on the way home, on the dunny, in the shower, during tv commercials, etc etc

because once you get started on the stubby its hard to stop. :2tsup:

One word of warning. You'll end up spending less time on the forums because you'll be turning more. e.g. Its 11:25 pm and I'm just looking at the forums now. :U

tea lady
9th October 2010, 09:52 AM
Jim:think: That could be the problem. I think I saw the sun in the sky this morning rather than all that grey stuff, so we might get to thor out bit this weekend.:D

Little Festo
15th October 2010, 09:40 AM
Maybe you should have a supply of lithium available for your members that use the lathe, they will fall in love with using the Stubby and some form of medication might be needed to get them off the lathe. :U:U:U:U

rsser
15th October 2010, 10:04 AM
Start on the apprenticeship principle Jeff: new users have to show they can remove, oil and replace the main bed without giving themselves a hernia. In second year, remove and replace the tailstock one-handed. In third year, mount a 75cm diameter blank on their own.

Tony Morton
15th October 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Jeff

Did you get a manual with yours I got nothing with mine, as it was destined for the USA it came in pieces in a big box,had fun putting together and ten years enjoyment out of it so far. Love the axcillery bed I use it at right angles to headstock with second banjo Does vicmarc have a second one? good for turning backs of large bowls and platters also keeps you away from edges of natural edge pieces. The latest piece was a coolibah burl over 40 kgs 600 diam and 160 deep bowl which I will make into coffee table with the addition of glass top and wraught iron legs/feet will post photos when finished.

Cheers Tony