PDA

View Full Version : richard raffan video wanted

JB
25th October 2004, 11:43 PM
Covering basics of spindle turning. Any sellers?

smidsy
26th October 2004, 01:47 AM
Hei JB,
See if any of these are what you need:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-7693802-1148722

I also did a search of the state library of QLD but they don't have it, try the Tafe libraries in your area because this is something they might have.
Cheers
Paul

adrian
26th October 2004, 10:02 AM
I got both videos from the local council library here in Port Macquarie.
The local library is the best place to find stuff like this because it's free and you can take it out as often as you like.

ClintO
26th October 2004, 07:19 PM
try Carrolls woodcraft supplies
http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/index.html

Clint

JB
29th October 2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my local libraies don't have copies. I was hoping someone might have an old video they didn't want any more. I would buy a new one but can't find one anywhere. I'm making a red cedar table with elaborately turned legs and wanted to brush up on my skills before blowing the cedar to bits (on the final pass of course). Any suggestions for other videos that cover basic spindle turning? (I find videos much more useful than books for learning)

Woodencrux
29th October 2004, 10:55 PM
I can't help with the video, but I believe that his stuff has been released on DVD as well now.
Regards,
Alan

smidsy
30th October 2004, 03:21 AM
Amazon has 4 dvd's and 1 video by Richard Raffan so do a search and see if any of them are the one you want.
Cheers
Paul

Woodencrux
30th October 2004, 09:04 AM
Amazon are very prompt, good packaging and item prices are generally quite good BUT be prepared for a hefty freight cost unless you can get a few items together to share the cost.
You may have seen Mike Darlow's videos. If not, he covers spindle turning and the 7 hour DVD that is now available is about $100. His site is:
http://www.hinet.net.au/~mdarlow/
Regards,
Alan

smidsy
30th October 2004, 12:19 PM
Amazon are not that bad on freight, they offer slow meduim and fast so you decide how quick you want it and pay accordingly - the choice is yours.

I ordered a fiction hardback from them, Angus & Robertson could only supply ex US and only gave one option for freight, Amazon were about $5 cheaper including meduim fast freight which got me the book about 4 days quicker than A&R.
Cheers
Paul

JB
30th October 2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I've found Turning Wood with RR (both vhs and book) at Amazon. One question if anyone can help: do NTSC videos work on normal video players here? Amazon reckon they only work in US and Japan but the specs on my player seem to say NTSC is acceptable.

Woodencrux
30th October 2004, 06:52 PM
Yes and no...really depends upon the vintage of your equipment, both video and TV (I'm about 90% sure about this). If you have the manuals, you should see something about NTSC/PAL playback. Again, I'm only pretty sure but a video that boasts palyback of NTSC requires a reasonably recent TV, rather than one 20 years old.
I'd suggest you poll your friends, maybe someone has an NTSC video you can test before purchasing.
I enjoy Richard Raffin's work and saw him this year at Woodturn 2004. An entertaining guy.
Regards,
Alan